The Student Room Group

Suggestions for dairy-free, gluten-free, sugar-free diet?

So I've decided I'm basically intolerant to everything. And by "everything" I mean wheat, dairy and sugar. (But not all white food! I can eat rice and eggs and potatoes, for example).

Do you have any suggestions for some nice meals?

I all ready don't eat dairy if I can help it. Recently I have been cutting out sugar, and wheat (no bread or pasta), and have found some benefits: My skin is clearer, my tongue seems pinker and surprisingly my eyesight has improved by 0.25. (Although I suspect this might just be because they got my prescription wrong last time!).

If I go to the supermarket there are at least two isles there is no point going down. Isle 1 with the cheese, yogurt, etc. and Isle 2 with the crisps, chocolate, cakes, etc. Which does kind of limit things. I can't eat roast dinner every night!

So to keep these health improvements up I wonder if anyone has any good recipes? Anyone else cutting these things out?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Go to a nutrionist a lot better than just asking online.
Reply 2
Original post by kodlak
Go to a nutrionist a lot better than just asking online.

Yes but I value the advice of the TSR community and their group knowledge and experience rather than one man's or woman's opinion.
I'm a vegan and follow a high fat diet too (so very low carb). I eat a lot of vegan pate/houmus/nut butters as a good source of calories, fat and protein. I love the Linda Mcartney vegan pies/sausage rolls, obviously they do have a fair few carbs but eat one of those with a plateful of greens such as kale/spinach/broccoli/peas as it's soon not so bad.

I do still eat some crisps (such as pombears) as they really aren't bad for you, and I do still eat some bread to keep calories up.

If recommend cooking a lot using raw ingredients as it's generally healthier, cheaper & you know what's in the food, rather than buying loads of processed ready meals.

(I'm an aspiring nutritionist/dietician, hopefully starting my degree this year!)
Original post by noobynoo
So I've decided I'm basically intolerant to everything. And by "everything" I mean wheat, dairy and sugar. (But not all white food! I can eat rice and eggs and potatoes, for example).

I all ready don't eat dairy if I can help it. Recently I have been cutting out sugar, and wheat (no bread or pasta), and have found some benefits: My skin is clearer, my tongue seems pinker and surprisingly my eyesight has improved by 0.25. (Although I suspect this might just be because they got my prescription wrong last time!).

People are probably stupid enough to abandon all solid foods in favour of filter feeding from the air around them if it was marketed nicely as the next big thing.

Don't breed.
Reply 5
I've decided I'm a millionaire but that doesn't mean I actually am.

Stop being so ridiculous. Go to your gp if you think you have any allergies and they'll do tests. Then they'll refer you on to a dietitian if necessary. But playing around on your own is pointless as you're unlikely to do it properly (do you have gravy or frozen roast potatoes with your roast dinner?) And you're even more unlikely to be allergic to everything you claim.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Go to my GP? Here's what happens if you go to your GP:

Patient: I think I'm intolerant to dairy.
GP: Try cutting out dairy see how you feel.
Patient: Thanks GP. Bye.

I think I can do that myself without visiting a GP!
There's a fantastically high chance you aren't actually intolerant to all of these things. Have you actually been tested for coeliac disease, diabetes or lactose intolerance? Self diagnosing yourself with all these issues and then resorting to some ridiculous diet is never a smart move. Go to a doctor, tell him your concerns, let them do the tests and then maybe if you are genuinely intolerant they will help you tailor a diet specific to your needs
Original post by bertstare
There's a fantastically high chance you aren't actually intolerant to all of these things. Have you actually been tested for coeliac disease, diabetes or lactose intolerance? Self diagnosing yourself with all these issues and then resorting to some ridiculous diet is never a smart move. Go to a doctor, tell him your concerns, let them do the tests and then maybe if you are genuinely intolerant they will help you tailor a diet specific to your needs

This.

Seems as though allergies and intolerances are probably the most misunderstood health concept in the general public.
Reply 9
Salads, fresh fruit salads, cabbage with hamburger or bacon, you could make breads out of tapioca flour, almond meal, etc. This sounds like the Paleo diet that I am on.
Original post by bertstare

They may do a blood test for coeliac disease, but the chances of them offering a hydrogen breath test for lactose intolerance is very slim. They will most likely suggest a diet of exclusion and then reintroduction to determine any intolerance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If I go to the supermarket there are at least two isles there is no point going down. Isle 1 with the cheese, yogurt, etc. and Isle 2 with the crisps, chocolate, cakes, etc. Which does kind of limit things. I can't eat roast dinner every night!

So to keep these health improvements up I wonder if anyone has any good recipes? Anyone else cutting these things out?

Try looking for low fodmap recipes online or on Facebook.

http://www.lowfodmap.com

Posted from TSR Mobile
Paleo diet is amazing! Today i'm having homemade chicken curry! You should try sweet potato cottage pie, lots of fish and veggies, slow cooker meals - greek chicken in the slow cooker yummy - opportunities are endless, try using new ingredients and having a play around also use lots of herbs and spices so food doesn't get boring. Its as interesting as you want to make it and there are literally 1000's of recipes online - Paleo has helped me massively with my food intolerance's.

Even made a Paleo birthday cake using coconut flour!

Hope that helps
Reply 13
Original post by Clairet90
Paleo diet is amazing! Today i'm having homemade chicken curry! You should try sweet potato cottage pie, lots of fish and veggies, slow cooker meals - greek chicken in the slow cooker yummy - opportunities are endless, try using new ingredients and having a play around also use lots of herbs and spices so food doesn't get boring. Its as interesting as you want to make it and there are literally 1000's of recipes online - Paleo has helped me massively with my food intolerance's.

Even made a Paleo birthday cake using coconut flour!

Hope that helps

Thanks! I think I will get myself a Paleo cookbook.

ever had sourdough bread ? or even rye sourdough bread ?

Fermenting it and souring it breaks down the gluten and most people can digest it.
Reply 15
I have eczema and am definitely allergic to dairy products, citrus based products (among other things e.g. nuts, fish, eggs). Now I'm beginning to think I'm mildly allergic to gluten (although not entirely sure). Basically it all stems from my eczema - it's a bitch.

So it is possible you could be allergic to the things you said if you have a similar condition to me. Do you actually have a condition?
Yes, I'm intolerant to 'everything' too. My diet (which I try to follow as best I can) is gluten-free, sugarfree, dairy-free and vegetarian seeing as meat is hard for me to digest too: it has the same effect on me as dairy products.

Here is what I do:

I usually eat a rice meal for lunch, mostly with a tomato-based stew or curry. I make stews with lady-fingers as well as with aubergines and potatoes. Else I eat paella rice meals, there are loads of different recipes for paella. I can't recommend rice enough - rice is easy to digest, is a wholegrain with plenty of fibre, and can be made to taste really delicious. Rice is the staple and main component of meals in most cultures around the world. It really is a life saver.

For dinner I usually eat either gluten-free pasta made with rice flour with a tomato sauce, or I eat oats, which are also wholegrain but not as tasty.

Occasionally I eat fish and chips as I can tolerate fish to an extent (but both fish and chips are always cooked at home).

As you can eat eggs, I recommend making omelettes. I used to make really simple omelettes with tomatoes and they tasted really nice.

You're probably going to have to learn to cook really well, if you aren't already a good cook. Most of these meals aren't available ready-cooked, and even if they are, they taste a lot worse than the ones prepared at home. Also, they'd most likely be filled with lots of additives which could irritate my stomach and upset my system, which I don't trust. You an buy Nairn's gluten-free oatcakes from most shops to eat just in case you don't have time to cook. Finally, I'd also recommend drinking peppermint tea after your meals.
How do you know you are really allergic to them ?

Every had an unpasteurised sheep milk cheese ?

Ever ate grains but fermented and soured them for a week beforehand ?

You don't have to give everything up.
Why would you want to put yourself on such a restrictive diet?
Gluten isn't the problem.

The problem is they need to be fermented and soured before you eat them.

google it if you have no iea what i am talking about

Quick Reply

Latest