The Student Room Group

We are all just born to die

Having deep conversations that make me question life.

We do all these things in life, get educated, form relationships, have children, work 9-5 but eventually it will all come to an end, nothing living will last forever and so to an extent life is pointless. So what if you help others?, they like yourself are just born to die, they will reach the end of their life cycle and so will you, I believe after that its over, no reincarnation we are just gone out of existence forever.

I guess we live for tomorrow and what time we have on this earth but in the end its all just meaningless, everything that happens will end and you won't feel anything after it ends, so you will temporarily feel on top of the world due to your achievements and sense of pride, and then you die and feel absolutely nothing.

The thought of dying scares me, it ends everything I've built up over my life in a matter of seconds, is anyone else terrified of death?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by forsparta

We do all these things in life, get educated, form relationships, have children, work 9-5 but eventually it will all come to an end, nothing living will last forever and so to an extent life is pointless. So what if you help others?, they like yourself are just born to die, they will reach the end of their life cycle and so will you, I believe after that its over, no reincarnation we are just gone out of existence forever.

I guess we live for tomorrow and what time we have on this earth but in the end its all just meaningless, everything that happens will end and you won't feel anything after it ends, so you will temporarily feel on top of the world due to your achievements and sense of pride, and then you die and feel absolutely nothing.

The thought of dying scares me, it ends everything I've built up over my life in a matter of seconds, is anyone else terrified of death?

No.
Reply 2
Original post by question93
No.

Strong contribution.

No what?
Reply 3

that is a very interestingly depressive, but also correct viewpoint.
the only certain aspect of life is that it is finite.

i suppose a lot of people would use the cliche and just say that maybe you should try to enjoy life while you have it because it could end at any time.

however i would say that you could do your best to make a legacy.
be remembered even when you aren't around.

i am not scared of dying in the slightest; my only frustration about death is the possibility that nobody will care and i will fade away from perceptual existence in a matter of years.
Reply 4
That's why you gotta make your life worthwhile :smile: life is only pointless if you make it so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Boring

I know what you are feeling because if this life is the end then people say you've got to make the most of it but if it is then when you die to you it will be like you never lived those things won't have happened from your perspective you would have never been born its like doing your homework and having it ripped up.Just hope this life isn't the end and life live because you don't know what is going to happen you don't know for certain whether you will cease to exist on death.

What is going on in your life to make you feel this bad?I went through bad phases like this and very bad depression but I'm a bit better now life still seems to be very long and boring and I can't get over that.
Strong contribution.

No what?

No am not scared of dying.

Used to be, not now though.
Whether pointless or not, all we have is the journey, and we're all here for the ride, we may as well enjoy it and make the best of it we can

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Luke_Mckeown
that is a very interestingly depressive, but also correct viewpoint.
the only certain aspect of life is that it is finite.

i suppose a lot of people would use the cliche and just say that maybe you should try to enjoy life while you have it because it could end at any time.

however i would say that you could do your best to make a legacy.
be remembered even when you aren't around.

i am not scared of dying in the slightest; my only frustration about death is the possibility that nobody will care and i will fade away from perceptual existence in a matter of years.

Indeed.

That's true but apparent from the temporary feeling of feeling achieved and accomplished, in the long-run life is pointless. I guess life has a point in the short-run but in the long-run I believe everyone will eventually fade away, and there will be nothing left. And then life will begin again, somewhere else and so the cycle of been born to die will continue ad infinitum.

Original post by Sophsha
That's why you gotta make your life worthwhile :smile: life is only pointless if you make it so.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I guess, but arguably there is only a point to life in the short-term (I'm talking 100years) all that feeling of having a legacy, being happy etc, you don't feel that in death I believe, you don't feel anything.
This bothers me a lot too. It literally hit me what dying means about a month ago - I was just lying in bed & realised that what even simple things like thinking will never happen again once I'm dead. I'm only 18 years old & I think about dying nearly everyday which is pretty depressing. So much of life is based around trying to build up this phony image of yourself so you're seen as respectable but then I'm just like... why? In the long run everyone is dead so why do so many of us waste so much time trying to be something we're not? I know people act like "yolo" is the motto for the brain-dead morons among us but at its heart I think it's the right idea.
It's quite scary, but I like the Gandalf quote "dying is just another new adventure" (or something like that)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't feel the same way, as I believe in God, and therefore an afterlife
Reply 13
No.

i think about this every night before i go to sleep, its just really depressing :afraid:
Reply 14
Indeed.

That's true but apparent from the temporary feeling of feeling achieved and accomplished, in the long-run life is pointless. I guess life has a point in the short-run but in the long-run I believe everyone will eventually fade away, and there will be nothing left. And then life will begin again, somewhere else and so the cycle of been born to die will continue ad infinitum.​

you aren't wrong.
it seems difficult to comprehend death.

i'm an athiest, so i don't believe in the religious afterlife and all that.
so trying to imagine nothingness is weird.
you won't have a body, mind, you won't even know you're dead because there will be no consciousness to acknowledge it.

just nothing.

quite interesting actually - looking forward to it! :wink:
Reply 15
Original post by Sphodromantis
Boring

The end of life I agree? It's full of nothingness

Original post by Dalek1099
I know what you are feeling because if this life is the end then people say you've got to make the most of it but if it is then when you die to you it will be like you never lived those things won't have happened from your perspective you would have never been born its like doing your homework and having it ripped up.Just hope this life isn't the end and life live because you don't know what is going to happen you don't know for certain whether you will cease to exist on death.

What is going on in your life to make you feel this bad?I went through bad phases like this and very bad depression but I'm a bit better now life still seems to be very long and boring and I can't get over that.

Exactly, I hope the same but I have strong doubts of any of the theories that go against science, I guess too much logic lets us realise the harsh true reality of life. But I guess you can go on life assuming that there's something at the end of the tunnel, I guess that'd keep you going through life at least

Oh nothing really, I'm just having deep philosophical thoughts at 1am, given there are a few personal problems but nothing on the level of depression, but its just really a deep topic that does make you think a lot.
No am not scared of dying.

Used to be, not now though.

Ah fair enough, why not?

Original post by Obiejess
Whether pointless or not, all we have is the journey, and we're all here for the ride, we may as well enjoy it and make the best of it we can

Posted from TSR Mobile

True, I'm not giving up on life I'm just feeling ultra philosophical right now

You are not born to die anymore than two heavenly bodies seek to attract each other.
The end of life I agree? It's full of nothingness

Yeh so why debate it. Your life is the longest thing that'll happen to you and by the time its your turn to become worm food, you'll most likely not care because of everything you've acompolished or done. You may even welcome it cause you'll feel knackered, thats why old people are so humble about death. Cause they dont care.
Reply 18
Original post by TroyAndAbed
This bothers me a lot too. It literally hit me what dying means about a month ago - I was just lying in bed & realised that what even simple things like thinking will never happen again once I'm dead. I'm only 18 years old & I think about dying nearly everyday which is pretty depressing. So much of life is based around trying to build up this phony image of yourself so you're seen as respectable but then I'm just like... why? In the long run everyone is dead so why do so many of us waste so much time trying to be something we're not? I know people act like "yolo" is the motto for the brain-dead morons among us but at its heart I think it's the right idea.

It is a really depressing subject, after talking about it I feel like I need to remember whats life about before I go too far off the path. I agree, as much as I hate 'yolo' it seems like the way you should live your life, just so you don't feel immense regret at the end of your life cycle

Original post by SerLorasTyrell
It's quite scary, but I like the Gandalf quote "dying is just another new adventure" (or something like that)

Posted from TSR Mobile

In a way I'm both not looking forward to it and looking forward to it, the element of chance and unknowns can be quite exciting, you could interpret death as literally anything apart from walking the earth again

Original post by Chloeheart
I don't feel the same way, as I believe in God, and therefore an afterlife

Ah that is comforting to know, I guess thats a personal benefit of religion, you aren't able to feel as depressed about the end of life as many atheists
Reply 19
Original post by Luke_Mckeown
you aren't wrong.
it seems difficult to comprehend death.

i'm an athiest, so i don't believe in the religious afterlife and all that.
so trying to imagine nothingness is weird.
you won't have a body, mind, you won't even know you're dead because there will be no consciousness to acknowledge it.

just nothing.

quite interesting actually - looking forward to it! :wink:

I literally can't comprehend it, just a sea of nothingness, I guess it is comforting and scary to know that you'll never feel again, never touch ,see, hear you won't even realise you're dead so you will cease to exist in every sense of the word. and because of this, once you close your eyes or once your heart fails however you die, that's it, your last memory (which will not be recovered) will be dying.

Quick Reply

Latest