The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sevchenko
But you could never accuse Suarez of not giving 110% on the pitch. Balo is a risk I'd rather not take. imo he need to stay at Milan to continue to mature and develop

Cant imagine an enigma like him at Arsenal anyway. He would be a short term buy as either he would move on due to money/media hate or would disrupt the team and get sold. Sacchi basically described him as a soloist with no team input, and until thats coached out of him I agree he probably shouldnt move anywhere.
Original post by Endless Blue
Suarez was a very problematic player but he was never as bad as Balotelli; it's difficult to think of a footballer in recent years with a worse mentality. Balotelli's problems extend beyond his ridiculous off-field antics and stupid decisions/actions in matches, largely because of his lack of effort and commitment to training and sometimes in games themselves. I'd be more than happy for you to buy him because he's such a disruptive and divisive player. Perhaps he will mature one day but he's a long way off.

In England a lot of it was rooted from his hate for Mancini I think, while in Italy he's scapegoated a lot by the media (mostly fairly i.e CL game vs atleti). I do believe he can change his mindset though but wouldn't want it to happen at Arsenal either, aint nobody got time for that here. On his day though he's a good talent if he wants to be bothered to play.
Original post by AR_95
Really hard for a player to develop when he's receiving non stop racial abuse in his own home country. More chance of him developing here. He's only 24 and has been better recently so this can always improve. Plus some times it's ego's which make players, see ibra etc

The racism only really happens in certain places. The simple fact is that we've seen Balo play more consistent quality football for Milan compared to his time at City. He's comfortable at Milan it's as simple has that. Well Balo doesn't really have an ego, he has an attitude problem that is exacerbated by the press. Seedorf will give him the discipline he needs
Reply 5763
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
In England a lot of it was rooted from his hate for Mancini I think, while in Italy he's scapegoated a lot by the media (mostly fairly i.e CL game vs atleti). I do believe he can change his mindset though but wouldn't want it to happen at Arsenal either, aint nobody got time for that here. On his day though he's a good talent if he wants to be bothered to play.

Balotelli would run through a brick for Mancini.
Original post by Stylo92
You didn't want them to win because they're 'smaller' than Real? Strange.

Football would be proper boring if the Billy big [rhymes with pollocks] teams won all the time; it's getting that way in the Prem.

Just my view, Real is the biggest club in the world and about time they emerged from Barca's shadow. Barca would decline slightly if Messi leaves or Xavi and Iniesta decline anyhow.
Original post by jam278
New club, bedding in time. Other factors, you got knocked out early in the CL as well so less fixture congestion. I doubt you'd have come 4th if you beat Bayern and got to the semi final while carrying on the FA cup run. But you'd have probably rested for the FA cup games and get knocked out so it goes two ways.

But yes he did better than Mourinho all factors considered, didn't say he didn't though.

bedding in time is redundant in modern times...fact is he criticised a lot of people, has ****load of resources and both Arsene and Pellegrini had more successful seasons than him. Given Arsene and Jose's squad strength at the start of the season, Jose has done worse..
Original post by carlisomes
Just my view, Real is the biggest club in the world and about time they emerged from Barca's shadow. Barca would decline slightly if Messi leaves or Xavi and Iniesta decline anyhow.

Isn't it time Atletico emerged from Real's shadow?

Could say the same for Ronaldo, etc and Real
Reply 5767
Original post by Peggles_*
The lack of action in January made up a lot of people's mind, the league was there for the taking and we ****ed it up, the manner in which we did so is inexcusable. All teams have injuries us more so than others so we should have been prepared for them.

If he doesn't spend on the required players we need (I think most Arsenal fans are in agreement that we need a GK, RB, CB, DM , LW and ST) then I think it's curtains for AW.

I think France want him for 2016 tbf, so I see that happening.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yep...exactly...

the problem with jan is that wenger hates it and never does anything (completely his fault for being stubborn)...but we actually needed mainly a striker this jan, but i failed to see where we were going to get 1...i mean if chelsea couldn't get one, then what was the chance of us getting any!

The one thing i hope changes, is that we don't get bullied by other clubs...first we were bullied into selling, but now that's over with.
but apparently, now we seem to get bullied when buying...ie in suarez's case...in all honesty, if we had really pushed for him, plus maybe given a bit more than that extra £1, we would have had suarez...unfortunately we were bullied into not buying him by a few silly words by the owner, and suarez seeing a lost cause went on with his business by staying.

IMO, i'm still thinking all the positions you mentioned above is way too optimistic...I think he'll defo go for a striker...but then not sure what else he will go for.
He'll probs go for a RB as well (depending on sagna (I really do hope he makes decsion quickly)), and then maybe a GK on loan....
otherwise i think he's pretty much trusting on flamini, arteta and diaby staying fit and seeing out the DM position. And he'll be optimistic on walcott staying fit for the whole season...

sigh, i do hope things change, but i fear it's not....we really do need a person who can bust a gut in the transfer market (ie like Dein)...
It makes me sick when arsene is asked about the transfer, and he's like oh i don't have time for that, i'm only concentrating on the next match...
and you know, because he's the only one doing everything!
Whether he does that on purpose or not, beats me!
bedding in time is redundant in modern times...fact is he criticised a lot of people, has ****load of resources and both Arsene and Pellegrini had more successful seasons than him. Given Arsene and Jose's squad strength at the start of the season, Jose has done worse..

I disagree, Pellegrini needed time to bed in and since then City only lost like 2 games after their loss to Chelsea away the whole season.

I said all factors considered Wenger had the better season though. So I don't get why you're still trying to argue with me when I'm agree with you?

What does him criticising people have to do with how he did this season or did you put that in for the sake of it?
Original post by moey3
yep...exactly...

the problem with jan is that wenger hates it and never does anything (completely his fault for being stubborn)...but we actually needed mainly a striker this jan, but i failed to see where we were going to get 1...i mean if chelsea couldn't get one, then what was the chance of us getting any!

The one thing i hope changes, is that we don't get bullied by other clubs...first we were bullied into selling, but now that's over with.
but apparently, now we seem to get bullied when buying...ie in suarez's case...in all honesty, if we had really pushed for him, plus maybe given a bit more than that extra £1, we would have had suarez...unfortunately we were bullied into not buying him by a few silly words by the owner, and suarez seeing a lost cause went on with his business by staying.

IMO, i'm still thinking all the positions you mentioned above is way too optimistic...I think he'll defo go for a striker...but then not sure what else he will go for.
He'll probs go for a RB as well (depending on sagna (I really do hope he makes decsion quickly)), and then maybe a GK on loan....
otherwise i think he's pretty much trusting on flamini, arteta and diaby staying fit and seeing out the DM position. And he'll be optimistic on walcott staying fit for the whole season...

sigh, i do hope things change, but i fear it's not....we really do need a person who can bust a gut in the transfer market (ie like Dein)...
It makes me sick when arsene is asked about the transfer, and he's like oh i don't have time for that, i'm only concentrating on the next match...
and you know, because he's the only one doing everything!
Whether he does that on purpose or not, beats me!

Arsene has always been discreet about his antics and it's no surprise here. He doesn't really say much to the open but that's not to say he isn't planning in his mind or what not. No one had a clue that we'd sign Ozil and I doubt any of the current rumoured transfers (bar Aurier) will be anything close to what we sign in the summer. Especially with the World Cup, and break out stars, I'm sure Wenger will be trying to spot those next big things.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Stylo92
Isn't it time Atletico emerged from Real's shadow?

Could say the same for Ronaldo, etc and Real

Barca is Real's main enemy, they give a **** about them more than Atletico. Even still, I don't really care about Atletico, have no need to..
Reply 5771

I completely agree.

Barca are definitely declining, Messi I believe can't get better and Real Madrid is the better of the two teams atm.

Over the next 2 years or so, Barca will definitely have declined and Real will have emerged from their "shadow" so to speak.

Not at all saying Barca won't still be at the top, they will definitely stay at the top for ages to come but they've had their golden period and RM are taking it back now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by OneMic
I completely agree.

Barca are definitely declining, Messi I believe can't get better and Real Madrid is the better of the two teams atm.

Over the next 2 years or so, Barca will definitely have declined and Real will have emerged from their "shadow" so to speak.

Not at all saying Barca won't still be at the top, they will definitely stay at the top for ages to come but they've had their golden period and RM are taking it back now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is this like the first post you've made here in months?

I hope Atletico become a bigger club none the less. The messi is the last of the golden era and I don't know if Neymar will continue that on

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5773
Original post by AR_95
Is this like the first post you've made here in months?

I hope Atletico become a bigger club none the less. The messi is the last of the golden era and I don't know if Neymar will continue that on

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, second after the one about yaya sanogo I made a few hours ago.

I hope so too although I don't see it happening in the near future. Atletico aren't consistent enough I believe and will go into next season and the season after getting second. I want them to prove me wrong though, would love them to prove me wrong but think RM are too high up on their game to give way to AM.

Nah don't see Neymar stepping up to Messi's boots at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by OneMic
I completely agree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Disagree tbh.

Alonso is 32, Ronaldo is 29, Ramos is 28, Pepe is 29. Important players that will start to decline from here. Messi is at his peak but he'll still be winning games for Barcelona and I feel that Luis Enrique will revamp the squad radically Pep style. I won't be surprised if they won CL league double tbh.

If they use Illaramendi e.g. to replace Alonso they'll need a bedding in period since he's been completely average this season. They still need to replace Makalele because there is no proper protection to their defence and Khedira is ****.
Original post by jam278
They still need to replace Makalele because there is no proper protection to their defence and Khedira is ****.

Or you could appreciate that it's possible to play without a destroyer...
Barca is Real's main enemy, they give a **** about them more than Atletico. Even still, I don't really care about Atletico, have no need to..

Not sure if that's relevant?

You a Real fan?

Anyway, forza the underdog.
Original post by Who Gon Stop Me
Or you could appreciate that it's possible to play without a destroyer...

Their Center backs are front foot defenders who struggle to deal with pressure, they're not the greatest in possession(Atlético let them have the ball) and their fullbacks are suspect. Busquetts isn't really a destroyer anyway and relies on interceptions. But the thing is that Barcelona's work rate is better than Madrids and they're better at pressuring the opposition. Most of the time when Madrid are pressurising it's down to the opposition parking bus and letting them have the ball, as if they push forward they'll get hit on the counter as they have so many fast space players.

I don't mean a full on destroyer, someone like Matic who can play, push up the pitch but can help their defence. Because in their midfield their CMs don't have much energy or steel and tbh you could probably bypass their midfield with enough speed in your counter. Modric can dictate the play and move forward but I don't see his position as a full on no.8 in a 2 man midfield. He's a top player and capable of it, but would rather like to see him a bit further up the pitch.

I was watching that Atlético game and tbh if they had one or two of Chelsea's AMs e.g. they'd have probably scored another goal, they were just so slow on the counter so couldn't get out of their half.
Original post by Stylo92
Not sure if that's relevant?

You a Real fan?

Anyway, forza the underdog.

You mentioned Atletico it wasn't relevant to my point.

Just saying why I wanted Real to win....

and I'm not a Real fan, but then it's wrong to respect great clubs, got it..
According to the Metro we've made a 16m bid for Griezeman

Latest