The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by qwerty_mad
In the supporting statement of application forms should I write I am on the PGCE and will gain QTS in June 2014? Because all specifications, even those for NQTs, ask for QTS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is usually a section where it asks whether you have QTS, and what date you obtained it. So I just write 'Will qualify June 2014'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by outlaw-torn
There is usually a section where it asks whether you have QTS, and what date you obtained it. So I just write 'Will qualify June 2014'

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that's what I do as well. So you don't think there's a need to say in the supporting statement?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah that's what I do as well. So you don't think there's a need to say in the supporting statement?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't need to say the date you plan to get QTS if it's elsewhere on the form, but of course you'll talk about your PGCE and what you have learnt from it. Your supporting statement isn't to give factual info that they just need to know, it's to sell yourself, and every word is precious!

xxx
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by kpwxx
You don't need to say the date you plan to get QTS if it's elsewhere on the form, but of course you'll talk about your PGCE and what you have learnt from it. Your supporting statement isn't to give factual info that they just need to know, it's to sell yourself, and every word is precious!

xxx

Yeah I've decided to omit that from my statement. I have to try a different approach now as it's not working!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi I have been accepted to do a PGCE next year and I know it will be a tough year - but I have been asked if I want to go see a show in London on a Saturday in November (early showing) - will I be too busy/tired or would it be a good break? Asking for opinions on this. :biggrin:
I reckon you'd probably be fine- especially near the beginning of the course I often had Saturdays as a break day from work. Something to look into though might be when your assignments will be due- if you can find a course handbook on the university website it should give you a rough idea of due dates- you'll probably want to be working that weekend if you've got an assignment due in on the Monday (for example)
Original post by diamondsky89
Hi I have been accepted to do a PGCE next year and I know it will be a tough year - but I have been asked if I want to go see a show in London on a Saturday in November (early showing) - will I be too busy/tired or would it be a good break? Asking for opinions on this. :biggrin:

You'll probably be fine as you won't be teaching that much that early on in the course. Just ensure that you've got everything done before you go.
Yeah I've decided to omit that from my statement. I have to try a different approach now as it's not working!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your supporting statement should set out your passion for working with young people and for your subject. You also need to show a passion for working at the particular school you are applying for, so research on their website and find something you can mention. This could be particular activities they're doing or just how you relate to their ethos. You should describe lessons that went well and why you think they went well/how they impacted the kids. You should also mention what you have done to benefit your current school (after school clubs etc.) and what you could do to benefit this new school.

I generally followed that sort of structure, step by step and it worked pretty well.

I second the opinion that you should be fine. I personally think it will be a nice break. If you already know far in advance about it you will just be able to work around it, do any work you were going to that day earlier. You need to have breaks and something outside work to look forward to!

xxx
It's good to plan breaks! Do it :smile:
Starting work in half term today :frown:

I have my year 7 assessments marked so that's out the way but have 9 plans to do for the week we go back and my files to sort out. Going to get half the week planned today and half tomorrow.
Okay, thank you for the replies :biggrin:

I had to take two weeks off one week into my second placement to have surgery. Didn't do me any harm

Posted from TSR Mobile
Half my week planned for next week and some files looking a bit more organised, slowly but surely!
Anyone else drowning in a sea of paperwork, trying to get standards files sorted out?
Original post by TraineeLynsey
Anyone else drowning in a sea of paperwork, trying to get standards files sorted out?

Yep me, however I've been so lazy and ill that I feel guilty for not doing anything. My aim was one standard a day just feel as if ive over worked and it's going to take a while to get back to myself

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys, I wonder if I could have some advice? i'm starting a PGCE in September (Primary) and i'm maid of honour at my cousins wedding in Feb. Feb 1st which is a Sunday, but I was going to stay the night in the hotel there. Do you think I would a) be on placement b) if not do you think it would be possible to take this day off? :-/ xx
No idea re placement dates, but I wouldn't expect you can take the Monday off.

You'll be able to manage things so you can enjoy the day and maybe even give yourself the Saturday free too, but even if you weren't on placement, I imagine university would frown on an absence for any reason other than illness.
Original post by cutebat
Hi guys, I wonder if I could have some advice? i'm starting a PGCE in September (Primary) and i'm maid of honour at my cousins wedding in Feb. Feb 1st which is a Sunday, but I was going to stay the night in the hotel there. Do you think I would a) be on placement b) if not do you think it would be possible to take this day off? :-/ xx

Of course you can! I missed days from uni and school for reasons other than illness. Don't worry about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Probably would be on placement then, depending on your uni. I started my second placement at the end of Jan this year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending