The Student Room Group

Can a Premier League team win all these in one season or is it impossible?

Budweiser/Carling (League Cup)
(Premier League) Trophy
(FA Cup)
UEFA (Champions League)
UEFA (Super Cup)
FA (Community Shield)

Scroll to see replies

Obviously not impossible but odds of maybe 100,000/1. Plus Arsenal are one of the two teams who are able to do this, so more like a million to 1.
Reply 2
Original post by 061194
(Premier League) Trophy
(FA Cup)
UEFA (Champions League)
UEFA (Super Cup)
FA (Community Shield)

Remember that in order to just be in the Super Cup the team would have had to win the Champions' League or the Europa League the season before, so the odds are beyond astronomical.
Reply 3
astronomical but possible.
Reply 4
Original post by 061194
astronomical but possible.

Yes, but about the same kind of odds as winning the lottery, getting struck by lightning twice, winning the Oscar for Best Actor, a Nobel Prize and discovering life on Mars. All on the same day.
Reply 5
So theres more chance o England winning the world cup
Reply 6
Original post by 061194

Well...

There was more chance of England winning Euro 2008 than of any single team winning those competitions you've listed in one season.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Drewski
Remember that in order to just be in the Super Cup the team would have had to win the Champions' League or the Europa League the season before, so the odds are beyond astronomical.

I presumed he'd meant the Super Cup the year after, as if he means all in the same season, it's clearly impossible as the Community Shield will be Arsenal vs. Man City, and obviously neither team is in the Super Cup.

So yeah, it is impossible :lol:
Original post by 061194
(Premier League) Trophy
(FA Cup)
UEFA (Champions League)
UEFA (Super Cup)
FA (Community Shield)

Would certainly be an unprecedented level of success but definitely possible. That said, they would have had to have won either the Prem League or the FA cup in the previous season in order to compete for the Community Shield.
Reply 9
Original post by Heliosphan
Would certainly be an unprecedented level of success but definitely possible. That said, they would have had to have won either the Prem League or the FA cup in the previous season in order to compete for the Community Shield.

Not necessarily.

If one team wins the double (FA Cup & League) then the team who finishes second in the League gets into the Community Shield.
Original post by Drewski
Not necessarily.

If one team wins the double (FA Cup & League) then the team who finishes second in the League gets into the Community Shield.

Well yes, there are a few permutations but I thought I'd keep it simple! Lol!
Original post by 061194

The odds of winning all of those competitions are near impossible, but let's not get silly here...
Well its not england but Bayern did pull a pretty similar feat. They won 5 trophies, they dont have a german equivalent to the leage ccup tho
It's never been done but there's been a couple of trebles.

The closest a team's got was Liverpool in 2001, but they won the UEFA Cup rather than the Champions League (and obv didn't win the Premier League).
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
Yes, as already said, the odds of winning all those in one season are higher than winning all those in a calendar year. The former I certainly wouldn't say is impossible, nor would the odds be as high as 100,000/1, but considering how rare it is for teams to win the Champions League in consecutive years and how difficult it now is to win the Premier League in consecutive years, I can't see that happening anytime soon. The latter however, is more achievable, though it still would probably require a very large squad to cope with the League Cup as well as the other 3 tournaments, so I could only really see Man City with the resources and squad they have, having any chance of doing the quadruple.
Reply 15
Not English but Barcelona in 2009:

La Liga
Champions League
Copa del Rey
Spanish Super Cup
European Super Cup
Club World Cup

They don't have a League Cup. So they won 6 / 6 competitions they were involved in.
Higher chance of me supporting arsenal than a premier league achieving all that...
Reply 17
Original post by Drewski
Well...

There was more chance of England winning Euro 2008 than of any single team winning those competitions you've listed in one season.

Before the croatia match or after?
Reply 18
I did it with Chelsea on FM tbf.
Original post by Drewski
Yes, but about the same kind of odds as winning the lottery, getting struck by lightning twice, winning the Oscar for Best Actor, a Nobel Prize and discovering life on Mars. All on the same day.

Not really. If you take the current odds of winning the champions league, square them and multiply them by all the other tournament odds for Chelsea you get about 1 in a 100000. So significantly more likely than winning the lottery.

Tldr: people are bad at maths

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply