The Student Room Group

English lit books for AS?

I'll be attending King Edwards Five Ways in September and want to get a head start on reading... Which books are usually chosen? There's a list from AQA LIT A, but the list is long :frown: Most common book chosen? Thanks :smile:
Original post by shakaykay
I'll be attending King Edwards Five Ways in September and want to get a head start on reading... Which books are usually chosen? There's a list from AQA LIT A, but the list is long :frown: Most common book chosen? Thanks :smile:

Why don't you e-mail the school and ask?
Reply 2
It depends on what you're studying at AS e.g. war, Victorians etc, it should say on the college website.

If you email the college you can ask what you'll be studying and get ahead by reading it before you go through it as a class. Last year we did Victorian literature and read Tess of the d'urbervilles and the plays A Doll's House and Murder in the Red Barn. For independent study I read Oliver Twist and Jane Eyre as well though.
Reply 3
Thanks I'll email :smile: For independent study, do you choose anything you desire? Or do they give you a selection to choose from?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by i'mlaura
It depends on what you're studying at AS e.g. war, Victorians etc, it should say on the college website.

If you email the college you can ask what you'll be studying and get ahead by reading it before you go through it as a class. Last year we did Victorian literature and read Tess of the d'urbervilles and the plays A Doll's House and Murder in the Red Barn. For independent study I read Oliver Twist and Jane Eyre as well though.

Read above thanks :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by shakaykay
Thanks I'll email :smile: For independent study, do you choose anything you desire? Or do they give you a selection to choose from?

You chose books that you will be able to quote for wider reading in the exam at the end of AS, but again that depends on what your college is studying.

At my college for Victorians we had to have prose, poetry and drama quotes from:
- Industry and empire
- Position of women
- Poverty
- Religion and culture

The links can be quite wide and I mainly used non-fiction from extracts we studied in class. It helps to be well read though (which I wasn't really because I didn't realize we had to quote our wider reading until a month before the exam), because then you understand more about the era.

Good luck!
Reply 6
Original post by i'mlaura
You chose books that you will be able to quote for wider reading in the exam at the end of AS, but again that depends on what your college is studying.

At my college for Victorians we had to have prose, poetry and drama quotes from:
- Industry and empire
- Position of women
- Poverty
- Religion and culture

The links can be quite wide and I mainly used non-fiction from extracts we studied in class. It helps to be well read though (which I wasn't really because I didn't realize we had to quote our wider reading until a month before the exam), because then you understand more about the era.

Good luck!

Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending