The Student Room Group

GP02 - unit 2 politics, how to score a high A?

Hi guys basically I'm an A2 student. I Am resitting the last year's unit two paper because somehow I got a D which I was extremely upset about as I was getting As all year! All that aside, I'd like to get at least 90% and above this year in this exam. Any tips? I know so far to always try to include political vocabulary, keywords and examples.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

I'm in exactly the same boat! My problem is being to vague and waffling, and I need to be more specific and explain why so and so has that effcet etc
Reply 2
Original post by chloealex2014
I'm in exactly the same boat! My problem is being to vague and waffling, and I need to be more specific and explain why so and so has that effcet etc

yeah I know its good to look at the mark scheme and all the ao1/ao2 things but the don't make sense to me ofc
Reply 3
In 40 mark Qs how many points and how many against do you make?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Hi all, I'm in the same boat - this being my third crack at unit 2. The trick I think I've found for the exam is to not think too deep or be interesting. Just get into the formula for each paragraph of:

Sentence 1: Point: Just write out the point you're making
Sentence 2: Explain 1: Write out what that point means
Sentence 3: Explain 2: Explain why ^ answers the question
Sentence 4: Example : An example that shows an incidence of your point
Sentence 5: Summary: Something like "It is therefore true that x and so x [answers the question]"

Following that formula exactly is difficult but it's what the examiner wants. If you think about that structure as you write, you can get used to it. If possible, counter argue the points to go 'point a, point a-, point b, point b-...' and so on

As for points/paragraphs:
10 mark question: no introduction, 2 or three points (2 if counter arguing) no conclusion
25 mark question: introduction (define key terms and summarise argument), 3 counter argued points, conclusion
40 mark question: introduction (as above), 4 counter argued points, conclusion

Generally examiners will prefer to say 1 less point if your points are better structured, supported etc. so if you're short on time sacrifice quantity for quality.

I hope we all succeed in this b
Reply 5
Original post by ORTB94
Hi all, I'm in the same boat - this being my third crack at unit 2. The trick I think I've found for the exam is to not think too deep or be interesting. Just get into the formula for each paragraph of:

Sentence 1: Point: Just write out the point you're making
Sentence 2: Explain 1: Write out what that point means
Sentence 3: Explain 2: Explain why ^ answers the question
Sentence 4: Example : An example that shows an incidence of your point
Sentence 5: Summary: Something like "It is therefore true that x and so x [answers the question]"

Following that formula exactly is difficult but it's what the examiner wants. If you think about that structure as you write, you can get used to it. If possible, counter argue the points to go 'point a, point a-, point b, point b-...' and so on

As for points/paragraphs:
10 mark question: no introduction, 2 or three points (2 if counter arguing) no conclusion
25 mark question: introduction (define key terms and summarise argument), 3 counter argued points, conclusion
40 mark question: introduction (as above), 4 counter argued points, conclusion

Generally examiners will prefer to say 1 less point if your points are better structured, supported etc. so if you're short on time sacrifice quantity for quality.

I hope we all succeed in this b

So you believe that will get us into level 3s?
Original post by shalini.c
Hi guys basically I'm an A2 student. I Am resitting the last year's unit two paper because somehow I got a D which I was extremely upset about as I was getting As all year! All that aside, I'd like to get at least 90% and above this year in this exam. Any tips? I know so far to always try to include political vocabulary, keywords and examples.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm the exact same- I got a D and I am resetting both papers. I was really pleased with the Unit 1 questions which is good, and I think I'm about ready for Unit 2 but really not sure if my revision is working for Unit 3. its such a broad unit... I'm not sure whats the best thing to do for revision?

Good luck
Reply 7
Original post by emilykatehulme
I'm the exact same- I got a D and I am resetting both papers. I was really pleased with the Unit 1 questions which is good, and I think I'm about ready for Unit 2 but really not sure if my revision is working for Unit 3. its such a broad unit... I'm not sure whats the best thing to do for revision?

Good luck

What topic do you do for a2? And essay plans I guess
Don't bother revising legal system /judiciary and focus solely on 3

Posted from TSR Mobile
In 40 mark Qs how many points and how many against do you make?

Posted from TSR Mobile

4 points each side - 4 for 4 against

Posted from TSR Mobile
What topic do you do for a2? And essay plans I guess

Political issues for unit 3: welfare state, economy, pension, benefits, education etc
And EU for unit 4: how it works, what it does and why etc
Reply 11
I am seriously nervous for this exam. I don't think I will do well in this.. I am very about the 5 marker and 25 marker. I am doing AS/A2 all in one year.. how do I do well in my GOVP2 :/
Reply 12
Original post by Cameron.M
4 points each side - 4 for 4 against

Posted from TSR Mobile

Isn't 3 on each side enough? They're barely time
For a 25 marker I always did 3 each side.. 40 personally I think needs more?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Cameron.M
For a 25 marker I always did 3 each side.. 40 personally I think needs more?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh my god, I'll try but the time is so little
Oh my god, I'll try but the time is so little

4 decent points on each side will do you well, but you CAN get full marks by doing 3 balanced, in-depth and well evaluated arguments.
Although you're technically correct often without some examples you won't get the top marks. I always tried to have an example for each point

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 17
Not enough examples :frown:
Reply 18
I usually make 3 and 3 points and end up with quite high marks, as long as they're atleast semi-detailed you should be fine with that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by k.desai
I usually make 3 and 3 points and end up with quite high marks, as long as they're atleast semi-detailed you should be fine with that

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is this for 40 mark?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending