The Student Room Group

OCR B Salters Chemistry Unit 2/F332 3rd June 2014

(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Go over past papers because there are trends such as They tend to ask the origin of pollutants such as carbon dioxide.
Reply 2
Yeah they'll often ask questions about the formation/destruction of ozone - they won't put an exact question in again, but from doing past papers, you'll have a good idea of what they're asking for :smile:

Also remember the reaction mechanisms, reagents & conditions for reactions! :P
Original post by Tappouni
Yeah they'll often ask questions about the formation/destruction of ozone - they won't put an exact question in again, but from doing past papers, you'll have a good idea of what they're asking for :smile:

yh. Most likely the whole regents thing may come up from advanced notice because they show primary alcohols in fig1 so they may ask about oxidising of it and Its reagents etc? :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by monkeysRus
yh. Most likely the whole regents thing may come up from advanced notice because they show primary alcohols in fig1 so they may ask about oxidising of it and Its reagents etc? :smile:

Yeah I'd say that's quite likely that they'll ask about things like that :smile:
Reply 5
Just before the f331 exam I went over about 6 or 7 past papers and their mark schemes, and I noticed that a lot of questions were repeated. On the day of the exam, it honestly felt like I'd already answered every question in the paper before. This happens a lot more often in Chemistry than in Biology. So, look out for trends in past papers and learn the model answers in the mark schemes for 4-6 mark questions.
Yeah I'd say that's quite likely that they'll ask about things like that :smile:

how you feeing about this exam? how you revising? what sort of grade do you want to get?

lol lots of questions. :colondollar:
Original post by Petulia
Just before the f331 exam I went over about 6 or 7 past papers and their mark schemes, and I noticed that a lot of questions were repeated. On the day of the exam, it honestly felt like I'd already answered every question in the paper before. This happens a lot more often in Chemistry than in Biology. So, look out for trends in past papers and learn the model answers in the mark schemes for 4-6 mark questions.

yep. totally agree. You do bio too? Yh bio doesn't really have much of a trend...or atleast from what ive seen.
Reply 8
how you feeing about this exam? how you revising? what sort of grade do you want to get?

lol lots of questions. :colondollar:

I'm feeling alright about it - actually in Year 13 now so resitting this one, and I really want to do well in it, as it carries more marks (UMS-wise) than any other of the A-Level units! So an A is what I'm hoping for :biggrin:

As for revision, been a mixture of revision notes (basically summarising anything I find a bit tricky or forgot), using the revision guide/textbook, and of course past papers :smile:

Same Q's for you :P how you feeing about this exam? how you revising? what sort of grade do you want to get?
Reply 9
yep. totally agree. You do bio too? Yh bio doesn't really have much of a trend...or atleast from what ive seen.

Are you on Edexcel for Biology? Biology is too broad and vague, literally anything could come up, whereas in Chemistry the same things come up every year i.e heterogeneous catalysts / exo and endothermic reactions etc but I'm worried that there's just a lot more content to learn for Unit 2.
Reply 10

Yes I agree, past papers are definitely on the list, I was wondering more on the side of the extended notice questions. Have any of your teachers made a list of potential questions? :smile:
I'm feeling alright about it - actually in Year 13 now so resitting this one, and I really want to do well in it, as it carries more marks (UMS-wise) than any other of the A-Level units! So an A is what I'm hoping for :biggrin:

As for revision, been a mixture of revision notes (basically summarising anything I find a bit tricky or forgot), using the revision guide/textbook, and of course past papers :smile:

Same Q's for you :P how you feeing about this exam? how you revising? what sort of grade do you want to get?

That's good, Im sure you will get your A, work hard and be positive and all shall be well . Walk into your exam like this --> :colone: aand walk back out like this :cool:.
Btw seeing as your are a year 13 student, I was wondering will unis know if you resit and do they care if you resit within your A2 year.

And as for me. I am feeling quite mehhh bout the exam. I need to do more revision and papers. Ive gone over the advanced notice though today. Generally I revise by writing the answers to past papers in note format so I just look over it before the exam. I also use the CGP revision guide and some parts of the fat Chemical Ideas text book. And yh I want an A too!
Original post by zi_zi
Yes I agree, past papers are definitely on the list, I was wondering more on the side of the extended notice questions. Have any of your teachers made a list of potential questions? :smile:

As I'm in Year 13, I haven't gone over the Advance Notice in school...not sure if the Yr12s did :P I'm planning to tackle that one tomorrow though, so I'll let you know what I come up with :P
That's good, Im sure you will get your A, work hard and be positive and all shall be well . Walk into your exam like this --> :colone: aand walk back out like this :cool:.
Btw seeing as your are a year 13 student, I was wondering will unis know if you resit and do they care if you resit within your A2 year.

Haha definitely good advice there :biggrin: That's assuming I'm not feeling more zzzzzz after the exam...F332 can be a drag :L

You have to declare resits on your UCAS form (you'll fill out AS and A-Level as separate awards on the form, and on the A-Level one, leave the grade box blank if you're resitting - it'll make sense when you come round to it :smile: )

It depends on the course really, if it's medicine, I don't think they'll be overly fond of retakes, but for most courses you should be fine :smile:
Reply 15
As I'm in Year 13, I haven't gone over the Advance Notice in school...not sure if the Yr12s did :P I'm planning to tackle that one tomorrow though, so I'll let you know what I come up with :P

Ah okay, thank you!
I actually have found a few links relating to preparing for the advanced notice. Shall put them up in the thread title/description :biggrin:
And as for me. I am feeling quite mehhh bout the exam. I need to do more revision and papers. Ive gone over the advanced notice though today. Generally I revise by writing the answers to past papers in note format so I just look over it before the exam. I also use the CGP revision guide and some parts of the fat Chemical Ideas text book. And yh I want an A too!

I'll tackle the advance notice tomorrow :smile: Yeah that's what I do - get the marking points down, so you have concise explanations. I've not used the CGP Guide, only used the actual Salters one which is pretty good :smile: But doesn't go over everything in as much detail as I'd like :L
Haha definitely good advice there :biggrin: That's assuming I'm not feeling more zzzzzz after the exam...F332 can be a drag :L

You have to declare resits on your UCAS form (you'll fill out AS and A-Level as separate awards on the form, and on the A-Level one, leave the grade box blank if you're resitting - it'll make sense when you come round to it :smile: )

It depends on the course really, if it's medicine, I don't think they'll be overly fond of retakes, but for most courses you should be fine :smile:

Yeah the exam is quite long. And ah ok that makes sense bout the UCAS stuff. Thanks.
Reply 18
It depends on the course really, if it's medicine, I don't think they'll be overly fond of retakes, but for most courses you should be fine :smile: I was wondering the same thing. I want to do pure physics/chem. About the retaking issue, would it also depend on the unis that you are applying to? And what are you applying for?
I'll tackle the advance notice tomorrow :smile: Yeah that's what I do - get the marking points down, so you have concise explanations. I've not used the CGP Guide, only used the actual Salters one which is pretty good :smile: But doesn't go over everything in as much detail as I'd like :L

Yeah I have salters one too. Its pretty good too to be honest. How far back are you going with past papers. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest