The Student Room Group
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole

Sport Sciences 2014

A thread for anyone interested in/applying for any of the sport related subjects at Bournemouth in 2014.

Any current students/graduates who can offer any advice on what's it like to be a sport student at Bournemouth would be awesome!

So excited as I have a confirmed place to do sports psychology and coaching sciences! :biggrin:
Reply 1
Yeah I'm seriously considering applying for the sports psychology and coaching science course aswell, sounds like a great course

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole
Reply 2
Original post by ib2014
Yeah I'm seriously considering applying for the sports psychology and coaching science course aswell, sounds like a great course

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awesome! Where else are you applying?
Reply 3
Original post by DCFCfan4eva
Awesome! Where else are you applying?

Not really sure yet to be honest, any advice? :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by ib2014
Not really sure yet to be honest, any advice? :smile:

Exeterm Portsmouth and Oxford Brookes are good for sports but it's sports science rather than sports psychology Worcester got a good sports psych course but it's as it's a new uni, their facilities aren't as good
Reply 5
Exeterm Portsmouth and Oxford Brookes are good for sports but it's sports science rather than sports psychology Worcester got a good sports psych course but it's as it's a new uni, their facilities aren't as good

Yeah, well im from Ireland so I havent a clue about the different universities :smile: I thought bournemouth looked great with work placement and the university itself looks good aswell. Did you have to do an interview?
Reply 6
Original post by ib2014
Yeah, well im from Ireland so I havent a clue about the different universities :smile: I thought bournemouth looked great with work placement and the university itself looks good aswell. Did you have to do an interview?

Ah ok well I've been to Bournemouth a few times as well and it's a really nice town with LOADS of stuff to do.

I didn't but someone from my college class did
I've got an unconditional offer to study Sports Development and Coaching Sciences! Currently stuck between BU and one other uni though! Is anyone else looking to study this course? Or are there any current students studying it that can give me some advice about it? :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by ib2014

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am with you on that one, I wish I just had someone to give insight into what Bournemouth is like. I may have to go for an open day.
Reply 9
I've got an unconditional offer for Sports Management! I've lived in Bournemouth all my life so if anyone has any questions about the place itself I will be more than happy to help you :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Bashivinci
I am with you on that one, I wish I just had someone to give insight into what Bournemouth is like. I may have to go for an open day.

I went to an open day, it's really good! really nice campus, great town and halls look good too. Reccoment going yourself if you can though!
Original post by ib2014
Ye

Original post by LayllaStanley

Original post by Bashivinci

Original post by sophie_c94

Hey all

just created a group for sports students coming to BU in Sept, come and get to know other future students!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/528175390620267/
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by sophie_c94
I've got an unconditional offer for Sports Management! I've lived in Bournemouth all my life so if anyone has any questions about the place itself I will be more than happy to help you :smile:

just created a group for sports students coming to BU in Sept, come and get to know other future students!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/528175390620267/
You'll enjoy Sports Psychology/Sports Development/Sport Management I do think! The first semester can be a little slow getting into it, but the 2nd semester is a lot of fun and very enjoyable. The six modules I did in Sports Psychology this year are:

Semester 1:

Research Skills
Just a module looking at how to make the transition from A-Levels/BTECs to University degree, so you would be looking at academic journal research, referencing, all that jazz.

ASSIGNMENT: Our assignment was to work in groups of 5/6, and we had to create a powerpoint presentation and poster on 'Why Sports Psychology is important in the United Kingdom?'. It was a tedious task, but it's a great starter to the year to get yourselves into groups and meet your new course mates.

EXAM: Our exam was simply printing out a journal and critiquing it. You are allowed time to annotate beforehand and write down notes about why it's a good journal and possible reasons which can have an impact on the results etc. Our journal was based on geriatric bodybuilders, and I managed to get a 2:1 with little to no revision because I had the journal annotated pretty well!

Functional Anatomy
It looked at the human body, and the different muscles we use in sport. You learn different muscles every week from the shoulder, to the leg muscles in your seminar groups in the sports lab. It was a fun module but I didn't do too great because I struggled to remember the names of the muscles, just scraping a 2:2.

EXAM: We had two exams. Our first was an in-class exam, your normal thing. On the computers, and you have a load of questions to answer such as the movement of an ankle joint and stuff. You have around 45 minutes to complete it. The second exam is you are assigned a partner and the lecturer will have a sheet of terminology which you must point out to her or explain. You also have tests to perform on your partner such as blood pressure, heart rate etc.

Social Perspectives of Sport
Looks at how society impacts sport participation in both amateur and elite sport, such as race, gender etc. You have six key theories to look at which you must revise and then learn the up and downsides of these theories, whether they can be applied to a certain topic.

ASSIGNMENT: We had to get into groups of six again (my group for R.Skills decided to do this together as well), and there were around 40 topics that were put into a hat (20 arguing for a subject, 20 arguing against) and one member had to pull a topic out of the hat. We then had to create a presentation of the subject we were given using the six main theories we learnt in lectures/seminars - my group had Why does bodybuilding challenge traditional gender stereotypes - and then you present your ideas to the lecturer and the opposing group (who, as you might have guessed, will argue against your subject). My group got a 2:2 but only because we struggled to apply the theories to our subject!

EXAM: Exam was based upon three questions from which you can choose one. I chose the question "Using the theories you learnt over the year, explain why there are so few black managers in professional football" and surprisingly, despite me going into the exam with only three note cards (you are allowed to take your folders into the exam with you), I came out with a high 2:1 - whilst my mates didn't do so well. You really only need to know the theories then know how to apply them to your subject area.

Semester 2:

Sport Management
This area looked at the business side of sport, so financial aspects. You don't need to be a whizz at maths for this, because everything is explained to you whether you did a business course at school or not. Pretty self-explanatory stuff that you will soon understand when you get there.

ASSIGNMENT:
Another group assignment, this time in groups of 4. We had to present a sports event idea (come up with the name, event type, venue, pretty much everything) which would be something we would do in the summer (don't worry, you only propose the idea, not actually put it into plan!). We've just done ours, so our results will come soon I hope.

EXAM: Taking it on the 2nd of June.

Introduction to Sport & Exercise Psychology
The fun stuff. Looking at different areas of psychology in sport such as anxiety, stress, group dynamics. You are taught within your own course (so Sport Development and Management students, I'm not sure what your area will involve here).

ASSIGNMENT:
This is the fun part! You have a 3000 word essay to write. 3000 words you say is too long? Well, guess again. You are given the freedom to write whatever you want about (well, in sport that is!). You are allowed to pick a sports team/sports person and you must analyse them and explain what is causing them to have psychological problems (it'll be explained better when you get there). You don't need to know the person at all, it could be someone you admire in sport, or who you despise in sport! I chose David Moyes at Manchester United this season, which gave me a lot to talk about, such as stress and confidence. I will be getting back the results for my essay soon.

EXAM: Taking it on the 29th of May.

Prinicples of Coaching
Mainly for the Sports Psychology and Sports Development groups. You are taught how to coach effectively to a group of people ranging from primary school children to adults, learning new techniques and attending coaching workshops. Very fun module because you are allowed to be creative in your coaching and come up with new ideas!

ASSIGNMENT: A job application. Yes, that's right. You have to apply for an imaginary coaching job but you must also explain - using studies about areas you've learnt in psychology - what it takes to be a good coach within your application. This will be explained to you when the time comes.

EXAM: You are told to get into groups of 2/3, and coach a 20-minute session looking at the Fundamentals of Movement (a workshop you will be asked to attend a few weeks before your exam). I was too ill to participate (I came down with a bad case of flu a week before the assignment and never recovered in time to do it), but from what I heard from other students, it was very fun and because most of you won't be too comfortable with each other, there's less chance of them messing you up!

Hope you enjoyed reading my review, and hope this gives you a little bit of insight into your freshers year if you come to B'mouth!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Monster Mnch
You'll enjoy Sports Psychology/Sports Development/Sport Management I do think! The first semester can be a little slow getting into it, but the 2nd semester is a lot of fun and very enjoyable.

thanks a lot! this is really helpful! I've deferred from last year so i'm defo going to Bournemouth!
[QUOTE="Mnch;47808865" Monster="Monster"]Y

EXAM: Taking it on the 2nd of June.

Introduction to Sport & Exercise Psychology
The fun stuff. Looking at different areas of psychology in sport such as anxiety, stress, group dynamics. You are taught within your own course (so Sport Development and Management students, I'm not sure what your area will involve here).

ASSIGNMENT:
This is the fun part! You have a 3000 word essay to write. 3000 words you say is too long? Well, guess again. You are given the freedom to write whatever you want about (well, in sport that is!). You are allowed to pick a sports team/sports person and you must analyse them and explain what is causing them to have psychological problems (it'll be explained better when you get there). You don't need to know the person at all, it could be someone you admire in sport, or who you despise in sport! I chose David Moyes at Manchester United this season, which gave me a lot to talk about, such as stress and confidence. I will be getting back the results for my essay soon.

EXAM: Taking it on the 29th of May.

How did your other two exams go?
How did your other two exams go?

Went well, I passed them so no need for resits! :biggrin:

The Sport Management exam is split into 6 questions based on the topics you learn over the months, pretty simple once you learn them! And the Sports Psychology exam is 15 short answer questions followed by two essay questions where you answer one.

Hope that clears everything up for you next year, and for anyone else who stumbles across this!

Good luck in your results, and hope to see you around in Bournemouth next year!
Original post by Monster Mnch
Went well, I passed them so no need for resits! :biggrin:

The Sport Management exam is split into 6 questions based on the topics you learn over the months, pretty simple once you learn them! And the Sports Psychology exam is 15 short answer questions followed by two essay questions where you answer one.

Hope that clears everything up for you next year, and for anyone else who stumbles across this!

Good luck in your results, and hope to see you around in Bournemouth next year!

Cheers for all your help! Look forward to meeting to you if I see you around lol

oh btw
did you buy textbooks? if so which ones? just so I can keep an eye out! Cheers!
Cheers for all your help! Look forward to meeting to you if I see you around lol

oh btw
did you buy textbooks? if so which ones? just so I can keep an eye out! Cheers!

There's no need, all the books you really need are online or in the library! Don't waste your money buying textbooks, because then you'll have to sell them the year after with their value depreciated a lot!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending