The Student Room Group

Geography B Edexcel GCSE Unit 3 (DME) June 6th 2014 Discussion

How is everybody feeling about this test? And how do you think you did in Unit 1 & Unit 2 and what grade are you aiming for?
For me, my controlled assessment is an A*, Unit 2 went really well but Unit 1 was the opposite!

Scroll to see replies

I'm don't know what to do for unit 3 :s-smilie:

Unit 1 was terrible but unit 2 was alright. Tbh, I don't mind getting a B for geography because it's one of my weakest subjects.
Reply 2
Original post by ad222
How is everybody feeling about this test? And how do you think you did in Unit 1 & Unit 2 and what grade are you aiming for?
For me, my controlled assessment is an A*, Unit 2 went really well but Unit 1 was the opposite!

exactly the same situation as you tbh... But I am definitely better at decision making than unit 1 so i guess i am feeling okay. I wouldn't mind an A tbh but i really don't want a B.
Reply 3
not feeling too good about it, admittedly, seeing as I bodged it in my mocks.
Reply 4
Original post by Prerana
exactly the same situation as you tbh... But I am definitely better at decision making than unit 1 so i guess i am feeling okay. I wouldn't mind an A tbh but i really don't want a B.

Same with me! I honestly don't want a B. I'm hoping for an A/A*. I don't think this paper is too hard but since they've changed the spec this year so we don't have a brief overview of what the paper is on, it could be more difficult than usual:angry:
Reply 5
Original post by zeusss
not feeling too good about it, admittedly, seeing as I bodged it in my mocks.

What did you get & how did Unit 1 and 2 go for you?
Reply 6
I'm feeling okay about this one. Everything so far has been okay, although I'm slightly disappointed with unit 1. I just hope I do well in this one! I really would like to get an A*.
Reply 7
Original post by ad222
Same with me! I honestly don't want a B. I'm hoping for an A/A*. I don't think this paper is too hard but since they've changed the spec this year so we don't have a brief overview of what the paper is on, it could be more difficult than usual:angry:

ikr i hate being the guinea pig year :mad: i guess we just have to answer the questions really careful and hope the grade boundaries are in our favour.
This is the only geography exam I'm looking forward to.
In my school most of the geography students failed the Unit 1 mock (there's about a hundred or so of us). In fact our head said that he had never seen so many Fs in his life!
Our teachers are so crap that we didn't even get a Unit 2 mock.
As for the Unit 3 mock (we did 3 but not 2? God I hate my geography teacher) everyone improved. I got from a F in Unit 1 to an A* in Unit 3.

What I'm tring to say is, that all you have to do is decide, bullcrap a lot, and use only one case study as an example of how your plan will work. Also, the booklet we get in the exam is much shorter than in previous years.

Good luck guys!
Reply 9
Original post by Prerana
ikr i hate being the guinea pig year :mad: i guess we just have to answer the questions really careful and hope the grade boundaries are in our favour.

Yeah I guess that's all we can do:s-smilie:
Reply 10
Original post by Random20
I'm feeling okay about this one. Everything so far has been okay, although I'm slightly disappointed with unit 1. I just hope I do well in this one! I really would like to get an A*.

Same here really, I just hope this paper is as easy as it has been in previous years because we don't get told what it's about which is very annoying:unimpressed::unimpressed:
Reply 11
Original post by possum_box
This is the only geography exam I'm looking forward to.
In my school most of the geography students failed the Unit 1 mock (there's about a hundred or so of us). In fact our head said that he had never seen so many Fs in his life!
Our teachers are so crap that we didn't even get a Unit 2 mock.
As for the Unit 3 mock (we did 3 but not 2? God I hate my geography teacher) everyone improved. I got from a F in Unit 1 to an A* in Unit 3.

What I'm tring to say is, that all you have to do is decide, bullcrap a lot, and use only one case study as an example of how your plan will work. Also, the booklet we get in the exam is much shorter than in previous years.

Good luck guys!

So you did mocks but not the real GCSE exams? Or you did the real ones? I'm confused haha:confused:
And I agree with you; we have to decide on an option and talk a lot of rubbish but what do you mean about a case study? And is our exam shorter than previous years?:smile:
Original post by ad222
So you did mocks but not the real GCSE exams? Or you did the real ones? I'm confused haha:confused:
And I agree with you; we have to decide on an option and talk a lot of rubbish but what do you mean about a case study? And is our exam shorter than previous years?:smile:

Haha no I did the real exam too- but basically the mocks went terrible. (Always fun to have your teacher scream at you for forgetting to look at the back of the exam which had an 8 marker :cool:)

About Unit 3: You get a problem described to you, and like 2 or 3 options to choose from to solve it. When you select your option you need to back up your argument with a short paragraph about a case study that followed the same approach in solving another problem.
I don't know how clear this is so I'll give you an example:
You get information about how to improve the life of people in Bolivia, as they have issues with trade and a large population. (makin this up btw)
So in your answer you could mention China's anti-natalist policy in order to decrease the size, and evaluate how successful it is.

You only need a smal section on it, and if you can't link it to anything then a) don't include a case study b) make one up. :colondollar:

As for the length of the exam its 1hr30mins. I've never seen a previous exam so I don't know how the time compares. But I do know that we get a smaller booklet, as they got their booklet before the exam. :eek:
Reply 13
Original post by possum_box
Haha no I did the real exam too- but basically the mocks went terrible. (Always fun to have your teacher scream at you for forgetting to look at the back of the exam which had an 8 marker :cool:)

About Unit 3: You get a problem described to you, and like 2 or 3 options to choose from to solve it. When you select your option you need to back up your argument with a short paragraph about a case study that followed the same approach in solving another problem.
I don't know how clear this is so I'll give you an example:
You get information about how to improve the life of people in Bolivia, as they have issues with trade and a large population. (makin this up btw)
So in your answer you could mention China's anti-natalist policy in order to decrease the size, and evaluate how successful it is.

You only need a smal section on it, and if you can't link it to anything then a) don't include a case study b) make one up. :colondollar:

As for the length of the exam its 1hr30mins. I've never seen a previous exam so I don't know how the time compares. But I do know that we get a smaller booklet, as they got their booklet before the exam. :eek:

Oh right haha!:wink: Yeah our booklet is smaller which I guess is GOOD! Plus it's a 90 minute exam and there's 53 marks available so we have more than enough time! Still don't know how I'm feeling about this exam:confused:
Reply 14
I just wish they didn't change the spec its kind of pointless if the whole education system is changing.
Reply 15
Does anyone know what the grade boundaries would be like for the controlled assessment ?
Reply 16
Does anyone have any idea on what they think the theme will be- since we don't get the booklet in advance like past years??
Also does anyone have a case study for every theme prepared?? My teacher hasn't even told us about this exam!:angry:
Reply 17
Stressing so much for this exam!! Most important things to revise?? Useful tips/hints?? :smile:)
All you do is pick one of the options. Then state the advantages and disadvantages of it. Try to mix in a case study which has a similar approach to helping a country. Come to a conclusion.
Then there are 3 marks for spag, and your flying :smile:
here's the tip- our teacher said unit 3 is probably going to be about physical geography because the last two years was based on human geography. Good luck to you all!

Quick Reply

Latest