The Student Room Group

Same old same old sectarian Northern Ireland

Elections have finished here, didn't count on sunday due to religious reasons (because we're so forward thinking here).

Both DUP and Sinn Fein remain the two largest parties. Both of them are extremely useless, having done nothing in the past 15 years to improve the divisions in this country, let me just give you some stats regarding Northern Ireland:

- 95% of schoolchildren go to segregated schools (either catholic or protestant state schools)
- 5-10% of all marriages are 'mixed marriages'. The rest aren't.
- There are now more peace walls in NI than than in 1998 with the good friday agreement!

This is 2014

Thats the legacy of Sinn Fein and DUP and the state of mind of the population generally. Northern Ireland, remains, and probably will forever remain a sectarian sh!thole unless the country can elect politicians who look to work the two communities together and bridge the divide, rather than engaging in the same point scoring arguments over history and the troubles.

Neither Sinn Fein or the DUP are interested in bridging the sectarian divide because both parties thrive off sectarian divisions and thus if the sectarian divisions were to evaporate they probably wouldn't get any votes.

People always moan about multiculturalism in the UK, but they really know nothing when it comes to Northern Ireland.

Its a shame because they're so many friendly and great people in this country, politically however its screwed, I can't believe so many other western democracies would tolerate such a society like we have.
We have a mini watered Down version of N. Ireland over here in Glasgow, now I've grown up its clear to see it's all a load of bull****. I come from a Protestant family originally from Belfast and from my uncles and dads cousins I used to be surrounded by Orange Order etc... but as I grew up I have met numerous Catholics from ROI and NI and am good friends with them.

the key to improving things is the schools, catholic schools or schools of any other religion should be shut down how can we expect different cultures to integrate if we segregate them as children, it's essentially brainwashing kids into a way of life and it has to stop. Most of the politicians in NI are essentially a bunch of murderers and terrorists both on the Republican Side and Unionist side there is no way anyone of them who was involved in terrorist activities should have a say in the running of the country it's ridiculous.
Reply 2
I was really hoping that NI21 would get a seat.
Original post by flugelr
I was really hoping that NI21 would get a seat.

They did; Johnny McCarthy http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-27559939

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending