The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Cardiff University and failing exams

I was curious what Cardiffs policy was on if you failed exams/modules. Do they allow you to retake the year? or just retake in August?
you can resit in August, but if you fail again then, then its a hard task to argue to retake the year!
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 2
It depends on how many you fail/what you fail. One of my friends that did chemistry with me had to retake his whole year because he failed on his coursework, whereas one of my other flatmates had to retake the year but only for 1 module. So this year he only has 1 module to do and is in uni like 3 hours a week or something ridiculous like that.

I also knew third years who come into our 2nd year lectures because they're retaking one module but still doing the rest of third year.
Reply 3
As far as I'm aware, anything that is retaken can achieve a maximum mark of 40% (Scraping a 3rd).
Reply 4
at least for engineering, if you fail a single module between 30-40% but your other modules are all good passes(60%+), then that fail mark is bumped up to a forty. Otherwise your retake in august, or redo the year doing the modules you failed. Retakes can only ever get a maximum of 40%.
Reply 5
Has anyone had any experience with failing the extra modules that you have to take alongside most courses?
I'm doing journalism as my main course but took two extra politics modules to get the right number of 'points' to get me through the year, and I'm almost guaranteed to fail one of them. Am I still likely to have to retake it in August/resit the year/module next year even though it's not actually part of the course I actually applied for?
Also is there any chance I could redo a different module alongside my second year of it comes to it? Would much rather do year 1 Cultural criticism alongside my second year than have to retake any of these politics modules.
Reply 6
In my case I am doing 1st year engineering and I failed one of my modules very slightly (37%) in the Autumn Semester. Now I am going to sit my Spring Semester exams and I was wondering if I do well in them, what are the chances of not having to resit, and what would be the minimum mark i would need to get on average to not resit (my friends in enginnering said something about getting 45% average or over you dont have to resit they just bump up the mark). Thanks in advance!
Reply 7
Original post by VMAtilla
In my case I am doing 1st year engineering and I failed one of my modules very slightly (37%) in the Autumn Semester. Now I am going to sit my Spring Semester exams and I was wondering if I do well in them, what are the chances of not having to resit, and what would be the minimum mark i would need to get on average to not resit (my friends in enginnering said something about getting 45% average or over you dont have to resit they just bump up the mark). Thanks in advance!

You'll need enough so that your average over the year is above 40% normally, but 45% is probably safer. It also depends on what you failed on (coursework/exams). If you're worried, you should speak to your personal tutor about it, they would be able to tell you for definite what you will need.
Reply 8
Original post by hkukbex
You'll need enough so that your average over the year is above 40% normally, but 45% is probably safer. It also depends on what you failed on (coursework/exams). If you're worried, you should speak to your personal tutor about it, they would be able to tell you for definite what you will need.

Thank you so much for your help and I will try and get the highest average i possibly can so the odds will be in my favour :smile:
Reply 9
with Cardiff history, can you fail the exam and still past the module if your coursework is high or do you have to get 40% in the exam?
Reply 10
Original post by Sarah213
with Cardiff history, can you fail the exam and still past the module if your coursework is high or do you have to get 40% in the exam?

It depends how your module works out the weighting of coursework to exam. For example if it's 50:50 coursework:exam if you did really well in coursework, then you can work out how much you need in your exam to get a pass overall. As long as you get 40% overall then it's a pass.
Reply 11
yeah it's 50/50 just didn't know whether they would let you fail anything that's all, thanks a lot
Reply 12
Original post by Sarah213
yeah it's 50/50 just didn't know whether they would let you fail anything that's all, thanks a lot

No worries! I've just finished my fourth year so I know the system now and had those questions before too.
Just to let you guys know though that rather than trying to work out what you get how much to pass etc, it's better just to do the exam and forget about it until you get your results. There's no reason to stress out over it, you can't change it once it's done! I always tried to work out the percentages and just ended up stressing myself out more rather than enjoying my freedom XD
So I have just passed exam with 64% and failed assignment with. 30% on 50/50 weighting , so that’s more than 40% does that mean it’s a pass still as it’s not showing fail to resist on grade, just F on assignment and P on exam . So confusing
Original post by Lisabullet
So I have just passed exam with 64% and failed assignment with. 30% on 50/50 weighting , so that’s more than 40% does that mean it’s a pass still as it’s not showing fail to resist on grade, just F on assignment and P on exam . So confusing

Generally speaking if the module average is over 40%, you've passed the module and don't have to resit even if you have failed components, though cardiff might have a different policy.

(also 5 year old thread, might get better luck posting a new one)
Original post by _gcx
Generally speaking if the module average is over 40%, you've passed the module and don't have to resit even if you have failed components, though cardiff might have a different policy.

(also 5 year old thread, might get better luck posting a new one)

thanks very much

Quick Reply

Latest