The Student Room Group

JUNE 6th AQA AS Homers Odyssey classical civilisation Predictions??

Hi all, is anyone else sitting Homers Odyssey for aqa as classical civilisation? And does anyone have any predictions? Pleeease help, much appreciated!! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am! I don't have a clue :frown: i think something to do with the gods and maybe fate will be a 30 marker though, maybe suitors too! Calypso would be a nice source

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bethblur
I am! I don't have a clue :frown: i think something to do with the gods and maybe fate will be a 30 marker though, maybe suitors too! Calypso would be a nice source

Posted from TSR Mobile

Finally someone!!! Yes they've not done Calypso on the new spec so hopefully! Or maybe Nausicaa? Also underworld ! I don't like the later books so much :frown: so will try to do the (30) related more towards the early books, and Gods are always up in some shape or form, so fate/gods would be fine. How are you revising btw? It's quite hard to know what to do... I'm just trying to get through book summaries and then past papers, can't think of anything else, and I've no clue how to revise sources ! What option do you do for civ 1? :smile:
Reply 3
Underworld is so detailed and hard :frown: i am the same, i also gravitate towards his journey over him coming home! Just a lot funner and easier to learn when it's about monsters lol! I find all of those books ok i think. Him coming home is a bit dodgy though, need to revise it a lot more. I have been revising by reading chapter summaries and doing mini questions my teacher set, like: "what all does Calypso do to help Odysseus in book 5?" But i find it impossible to make essay plans etc as the central issues could be ANYTHING. Last years paper was amazing 30 markers but i didn't like the 20 markers so here's hoping. I find the 5 and 10 marker common sense since the 10 you just use the passage, so my choosing of source will depend on the 20 mark, but my teacher said source one is normally the journey and source two when he gets home so that'll work in our favour hehe. I do athenian democracy as my other half of AS, had it last week as an exam, it was a tricky paper I thought! So im more worried about this now. What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reaaally dislike the underworld!! It'd be a hard one and they barely ever put it up.haha same, back in Ithica is soooo boring I think! Easier to remember monsters by far! It's so funny, eg Poseidon away visiting his Ethiopian friends lol, so true, its literally so random. Loved the qu on immortal females!! Though they're quite repetitive so could do something similar. 20 mark on polyphemus and Poseidon was so hard, and the way the mark scheme was really detailed put me off too, how can you come up with all that in the exam!? Ahh yes def answering source 1! Me too!! Really tricky, like very weird. I did the qu on Athenian democracy 2nd half 5th century and cleisthenes and pisistatus 30 marker, was so weird! I thought it'd be more predictable so I wasn't worrying about the Odyssey as much I am now though!
Reply 5
Haha we do the exact same exams then! I did the source 2 on the law courts and the wasps, along with the Solon 30 mark. It was the first paper you had to know more than solon, peisistratids and cleisthenes, so it really shocked me! How did the rest of your class find it? Mine found the sources awful but the essays great! We are v similar in regards to class civ lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did opposite questions!! So weird lol, same I'd barely revised anything outside of those so it was dodgy. I'm glad to hear what people thought! Was really disappointed cleisthenes wasn't s source! My school doesn't do cc, so I just did it using the internet etc, and then did the exam, was all a bit of a rush! Quite bad though since I literally don't know one other person who does it! Haha we are !
Reply 7
You learnt it on the internet?! How does that work lol well im always here if u need class civ chat/help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had all the resources, but found notes from the internet the most useful! Like it's not too bad an as to try alone, and then I printed off past papers and read the Athenian constitution and the Odyssey (didn't even do the wasps!!) So random I know. And thank you!!
Reply 9
You are so random yeah hahaha that is very commendable, well done!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know, very random. It's not even, though thank you!! Haha though I'd rather teach myself, literally pick up nothing from teachers in class
Reply 11
Original post by ScienceConfusion
I know, very random. It's not even, though thank you!! Haha though I'd rather teach myself, literally pick up nothing from teachers in class

You are so random yeah hahaha that is very commendable, well done!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just to let you guys know- you've helped me so much!! haha no one ever responds to my threads about the Odyssey. I'm literally finding it impossible. Like you both the earlier books are so much easier to learn than the latter. I'm just finding remembering all the tiny details so difficult when I can barely remember the sequence of events. Do you have any more advice? I'm sooo crap at writing essays as well :frown: oh dear its not going well xx
Mcbb i'm the same! I'm just gonna go in and write the 16 chapters on the paper and for the 20 and 30 will just go through each chapter and see if anything relates to each central issue! It will take ages but i dunno what other way to approach it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Mcbb i'm the same! I'm just gonna go in and write the 16 chapters on the paper and for the 20 and 30 will just go through each chapter and see if anything relates to each central issue! It will take ages but i dunno what other way to approach it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah thats a good idea, what are you doing in the time being? i can't keep reading all the books through, it sends me to sleep! i'm just so stuck for this exam, I had a classics exam last week too on 'women in Athens'. It didn't go well either so I'm a bit concerned about this subject hahahaaa
Aw god that doesn't sound good haha! Athenian Democracy wasn't strong for me either :frown: well i have history on monday and english lit on wednesday, so i am finishing reading the chapter summaries tonight and am just going to cram it on wednesday night, thursday and friday morning! It is so difficult though. Are you having trouble with your essay writing? I could give you how my teacher, who used to mark for AQA, told us to write

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Aw god that doesn't sound good haha! Athenian Democracy wasn't strong for me either :frown: well i have history on monday and english lit on wednesday, so i am finishing reading the chapter summaries tonight and am just going to cram it on wednesday night, thursday and friday morning! It is so difficult though. Are you having trouble with your essay writing? I could give you how my teacher, who used to mark for AQA, told us to write

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh wow, you're jam packed next week then bless you! luckily this will be my last exam! Fair enough, that sounds like a good idea. Yeah I really am, my writing structure just isn't working! That would honestly be amazing if that's okay with you? Wow thank you so much! :smile::smile::smile:
Your last! I've only done one, the athenian democracy one, and have 6 to go haha :frown: okay here is how we are taught and our class at GCSE got 11a* and 4a so he is definitely teaching us it properly then and has taught us the -level technique good too! So, the paper is 90 minutes. When you open the paper you should quickly skim over the paper and settle yourself, and pick your choices. I do the source question first, he says take 5 minutes on the 5 mark, 10 minutes on the 10 mark and 30 minutes on the 20 marker. Read the source questions and take particular focus to what they say in bold, because that is where they are emphasising where you could easily make a mistake. I also read the passage at the top before i answer the questions, as it puts it all into perspective. Make as many points as they ask you, its just fact and explanation, fact and explanation, or whatever. For the 10 marker, you should make a one or two sentence intro which says youll look at both sides of the argument. Do a paragraph in favour of the proposition, and a paragraph against, and then say "therefore" at the end and write your overall opinion on the question. For the 20 marker, do an introduction that addresses the question immediately and state your opinion in it. Do a paragraph per central issue, and then do a conclusion which sums up your essay's arguments and reached an opinion. Same for the 30 marker. All over our essays he writes "E" "A" "AQ" "B" and "K". These are what the examiner are looking for. As you start your opinion, you must address the question and the examiner will write "AQ". After that, you state knowledge "K", analyse it "A" which is just saying what it means, and evaluate the point "E" which is addressing your point to the question. Once you have explored the side in favour of the central issue, you then say "however," and the examiner will see balance "B". At the very end of each paragraph write your overall position on the central issue and that is your overall evaluation. You need to structure your essays in that way or you will immediately drop bands! I hope this helps. Timing is crucial too. I got full marks in a 30 marker once just from keeping to that precise structure. I will write an example:

"The gods helping Odysseus". central issue is Athene

Athene helps Odysseus (AQ) in a range of ways in the odyssey. In book 7, Athene covered Odysseus in a thick mist (K) which helped hide him from the Phaeacians, who may question or insult him. (A+E) (i would then give more points of how she helped him, probably chronologically is neatest) However, there are points in the Odyssey where Athene fails to help Odysseus when it would have benefitted him. (AQ) in book 22, Athene appears and insults Odysseus, saying that he was not fighting as well as he did at Troy. (K) this did not help Odysseus' morale and was a needless gesture. (A+E) (it is E too as i use the word "help" in my analysis) Therefore, Athene ultimately helps Odysseus in a number of ways in the Odysseus which helps him get home and have revenge on the suitors. (E)

I hope that helped!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't have bother with that, it's the knowledge lol :frown: my teacher also says if you are rushing, write a conclusion over the last central issue, as you can still get in the top band that way, but not without a conclusion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Your last! I've only done one, the athenian democracy one, and have 6 to go haha :frown: okay here is how we are taught and our class at GCSE got 11a* and 4a so he is definitely teaching us it properly then and has taught us the -level technique good too! So, the paper is 90 minutes. When you open the paper you should quickly skim over the paper and settle yourself, and pick your choices. I do the source question first, he says take 5 minutes on the 5 mark, 10 minutes on the 10 mark and 30 minutes on the 20 marker. Read the source questions and take particular focus to what they say in bold, because that is where they are emphasising where you could easily make a mistake. I also read the passage at the top before i answer the questions, as it puts it all into perspective. Make as many points as they ask you, its just fact and explanation, fact and explanation, or whatever. For the 10 marker, you should make a one or two sentence intro which says youll look at both sides of the argument. Do a paragraph in favour of the proposition, and a paragraph against, and then say "therefore" at the end and write your overall opinion on the question. For the 20 marker, do an introduction that addresses the question immediately and state your opinion in it. Do a paragraph per central issue, and then do a conclusion which sums up your essay's arguments and reached an opinion. Same for the 30 marker. All over our essays he writes "E" "A" "AQ" "B" and "K". These are what the examiner are looking for. As you start your opinion, you must address the question and the examiner will write "AQ". After that, you state knowledge "K", analyse it "A" which is just saying what it means, and evaluate the point "E" which is addressing your point to the question. Once you have explored the side in favour of the central issue, you then say "however," and the examiner will see balance "B". At the very end of each paragraph write your overall position on the central issue and that is your overall evaluation. You need to structure your essays in that way or you will immediately drop bands! I hope this helps. Timing is crucial too. I got full marks in a 30 marker once just from keeping to that precise structure. I will write an example:

"The gods helping Odysseus". central issue is Athene

Athene helps Odysseus (AQ) in a range of ways in the odyssey. In book 7, Athene covered Odysseus in a thick mist (K) which helped hide him from the Phaeacians, who may question or insult him. (A+E) (i would then give more points of how she helped him, probably chronologically is neatest) However, there are points in the Odyssey where Athene fails to help Odysseus when it would have benefitted him. (AQ) in book 22, Athene appears and insults Odysseus, saying that he was not fighting as well as he did at Troy. (K) this did not help Odysseus' morale and was a needless gesture. (A+E) (it is E too as i use the word "help" in my analysis) Therefore, Athene ultimately helps Odysseus in a number of ways in the Odysseus which helps him get home and have revenge on the suitors. (E)

I hope that helped!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are an absolute star! Thank you so so so much! Although one last question, would you only speak about Athene? Because when I was writing my 30 mark essays, I often made a point, balanced it with a counter argument and moved on to the next point, yet I was criticized for this? They said to rather split my essay into 2 halves, 1 half for and the second half against?

Sorry for further confusion haha x
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by mcbb
You are an absolute star! Thank you so so so much!

also best of luck for all your exams, you'll do great i'm sure x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending