The Student Room Group

Studying Medical Courses abroad

I want to study Dentistry or Medicine abroad at another country rather than the UK but i dont know the requirements. Could you provide me with some sources to look at such as websites like UCAS but for studying abroad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
If you're looking for the ones that have easy admissions, look for the ones in the Caribbean. The best 4 are St. Georges, AUC, Ross and Saba. Most of them render you eligible for qualification as a Doctor in the US and Canada, but I am not sure about your eligibility in the UK, so you would have to look that Up. Some schools in Poland and Hungary offer MD programs in English as well, but the admissions for those tend to be harder and if you don't have an undergraduate degree, they're 6 years long. I hope this helped.
Original post by sherifd
If you're looking for the ones that have easy admissions, look for the ones in the Caribbean. The best 4 are St. Georges, AUC, Ross and Saba. Most of them render you eligible for qualification as a Doctor in the US and Canada, but I am not sure about your eligibility in the UK, so you would have to look that Up. Some schools in Poland and Hungary offer MD programs in English as well, but the admissions for those tend to be harder and if you don't have an undergraduate degree, they're 6 years long. I hope this helped.

Thanks that actually helped because now im going to search universities in the caribean. Do you know any websites to search for universities with low requirements and low tuition fees?
Reply 3
Original post by hamzakhairkhwah
Thanks that actually helped because now im going to search universities in the caribean. Do you know any websites to search for universities with low requirements and low tuition fees?

You won't get cheap in the Caribbean as they get a lot of Americans st georges Grenada is something like 20000 per year!
If you want cheap look at republic of Ireland (but you'll need at least 4A's at A2), or Romania, Estonia, Prague, Germany, Italy, Holland. Many countries teach in English some you might have to learn but the majority listed above teach in English

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by em.d_4
You won't get cheap in the Caribbean as they get a lot of Americans st georges Grenada is something like 20000 per year!
If you want cheap look at republic of Ireland (but you'll need at least 4A's at A2), or Romania, Estonia, Prague, Germany, Italy, Holland. Many countries teach in English some you might have to learn but the majority listed above teach in English

Posted from TSR Mobile

Could you name some Universities that do dentistry in those countries you just mentioned please, i need to search them up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Could you name some Universities that do dentistry in those countries you just mentioned please, i need to search them up

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didnt apply for dentistry but if you google I'm sure it won't be hard to find dentistry ccourses in say czech republic

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by em.d_4
I didnt apply for dentistry but if you google I'm sure it won't be hard to find dentistry ccourses in say czech republic

Posted from TSR Mobile

Alright, thanks for the information anyway
Reply 7
I want to study Dentistry or Medicine abroad at another country rather than the UK but i dont know the requirements. Could you provide me with some sources to look at such as websites like UCAS but for studying abroad.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The requirements are not as high as the requirements as the UK unis. However you need to think about how much debt it will leave you in, the fact that there is a HUGE drop out rate at these unis, you need to learn a new language, you will have to work in that country before being able to work in the UK since from this year VT placements will be given to UK grads before any EU graduate.
Original post by teen1234
The requirements are not as high as the requirements as the UK unis. However you need to think about how much debt it will leave you in, the fact that there is a HUGE drop out rate at these unis, you need to learn a new language, you will have to work in that country before being able to work in the UK since from this year VT placements will be given to UK grads before any EU graduate.

Is it neccessary for me to work there or can i come back to the UK and work here after my graduation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Is it neccessary for me to work there or can i come back to the UK and work here after my graduation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

In the UK when you graduate you do a foundation year under a senior dentist. You are then a 'real' dentist. Previously, EU grads were able to apply for these foundation years just as UK grads however now UK grads have priority and then EU grads are able to take the places remaining(if there are any). For this reason its highly unlikely you're going to get a job as a dentist in the UK after having no experience of working as a dentist.
Rules and regulations are always changing and so its a huge risk you're going to be taking. Not to mention the fact that most countries atm want to leave the EU, in which your chances of getting a job in the UK are near impossible.
In the UK when you graduate you do a foundation year under a senior dentist. You are then a 'real' dentist. Previously, EU grads were able to apply for these foundation years just as UK grads however now UK grads have priority and then EU grads are able to take the places remaining(if there are any). For this reason its highly unlikely you're going to get a job as a dentist in the UK after having no experience of working as a dentist.
Rules and regulations are always changing and so its a huge risk you're going to be taking. Not to mention the fact that most countries atm want to leave the EU, in which your chances of getting a job in the UK are near impossible.

If i do that foundation year in the country i graduate for example Plovdiv Uni in Bulgaria, and then come over to the UK and do some more work experience do you think my chances would be higher?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
If i do that foundation year in the country i graduate for example Plovdiv Uni in Bulgaria, and then come over to the UK and do some more work experience do you think my chances would be higher?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know how it works in bulgaria in terms of graduate dentists getting jobs. Although to do that you would have to be fluent in their language WHILST studying one of the most difficult courses in the world. Its a lot to take in and you dont seem like you've done enough research.
I don't know how it works in bulgaria in terms of graduate dentists getting jobs. Although to do that you would have to be fluent in their language WHILST studying one of the most difficult courses in the world. Its a lot to take in and you dont seem like you've done enough research.

Yeh thats why im trying to do some research and find out informatiom from The student forum and searching other websites and sources

I need to make sure i know everything first before making the big decision of moving abroad to study Dentistry because its not a simple and easy decision as you might know. Do you know any websites that would help me find some information please?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
Unfortunately I don't know any websites that would help you with this. The websites that advertise going abroad will make it seem better than it is for obvious reasons. Im sorry but I dont know where you could get reliable information since it seems a lot is up in the air.
Unfortunately I don't know any websites that would help you with this. The websites that advertise going abroad will make it seem better than it is for obvious reasons. Im sorry but I dont know where you could get reliable information since it seems a lot is up in the air.

Alright thats fine, thanks for the help anyways
Reply 16
Just look up the requirements on the websites of lots of European universities (since they have lower fees).

There's an entire thread here on TSR about medicine at the Uni of Malta which has no fees for EU citizens.
Original post by txo
Just look up the requirements on the websites of lots of European universities (since they have lower fees).

There's an entire thread here on TSR about medicine at the Uni of Malta which has no fees for EU citizens.

How am i supposed to find that thread? Is it the Medicine 2015 entry one?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
How am i supposed to find that thread? Is it the Medicine 2015 entry one?

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2243369

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending