The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DiddyDec
But once you go to uni none of that matter because you all got to the same place no matter what education you had.

I do agree that we will end up at the same place, its just an explanation as to why a 16-17 year old would feel hatred towards a private school student. I personally know quite a few ex-private school students (I go to a grammar school sixth form) and I have made friends quite easily with them. I know that the majority of you are perfectly normal (sic) , its simply the picture that you represent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Where there is inequality there is envy; where there is envy there is hate.
Original post by arrow900
BTW it was never intended as a personal attack, its just that it confuses me why such a question would need to be asked. With a bit of empathy you could quite easily have answered your own question without the need to find the answer from an anonymous source on the internet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not really because I myself have no idea why, I wanted people's opinions on it.
I know some very nice and perfectly normal people from private schools, on the other hand I know some very rude and snobby people from private schools. Such is the range of human existence, not for us to make generalisations.

That said, I personally don't believe that the small range of benefits private school might bring are worth thousands of pounds a year, when there are perfectly good state schools out there. I certainly didn't feel like I missed anything in my education that private school could have given me.
Because the ability for people to pay for a better education reinforces the class system
I don't like public schools because I was raised to hate anything liberal or middle class. If I'm being objective, private schools shouldn't need to exist but if parents have the means to get the best education possible they should go for it. But screw being objective. I just like having an excuse to complain.
Original post by isaaccharles
I have come across several people on TSR who constantly hate private schools and claim that privately educated people don't work hard for A*s. But why all the hate?

I don't hate private schools nor the people who attend them. I am against private education as a concept though.
Hate posh ***** who think they are better than everyone else.
Original post by cuckoo99
Hate posh ***** who think they are better than everyone else.

You’re so narrow-minded; you cannot make such judgements.
You’re so narrow-minded; you cannot make such judgements.

Alright posh ****
It's hard not to dislike someone who has had - what most people view as - a better education than yourself simply because they were born into a more well-off family than yours.
Alright posh ****

Posh what...??
I have come across several people on TSR who constantly hate private schools and claim that privately educated people don't work hard for A*s. But why all the hate?

Its like paying for a head start in the hundred metres in the Olympics. Sure you might be running hard but you wouldn't of paid unless it gave you some kind of advantage to begin with.

I would send my kids to private school definitely, because at the end of the day nobody (important to your academic and career success) is going to care that you went to private school half as much as they'll care about your attainment. EG if I go to normal school and get a B, employers are going to treat me like I'm mentally deficient when compared to somebody who got an A regardless of the circumstances of the achievement, in contrast to the Olympics doing there best to ensure all things remain equal.
Posh what...??

Clearly something that rhymes with 'bat'.
Original post by yl95
Clearly something that rhymes with 'bat'.

:s-smilie:
Original post by Studyboy157
Its like paying for a head start in the hundred metres in the Olympics. Sure you might be running hard but you wouldn't of paid unless it gave you some kind of advantage to begin with.

I would say it's more like paying a personal trainer to help you practise and become better at running before you enter the Olympics (something that people tend not to have a problem with).

A person who attends a private school doesn't get free marks or extra time in an exam compared to everyone else. He's just trained better from beforehand with the relevant knowledge and techniques to make him better at exams. Just like an Olympic race, as soon as the exam starts, everybody is subject to the same rules, with no extra help to give them an advantage over anyone else. They are equipped only with their natural ability and whatever preparation they did from beforehand.
(edited 9 years ago)

I haven't read all the previous replies but I agree with the ones I've read.
Not everyone who goes to private school is rude and arrogant, public school students are just as bad. I guess private school students are portrayed by the media as cocky etc. (because many who go to private schools come from well-off families), which as someone above said may be done due to jealousy as the majority of the rest of us are middle-class or perhaps even lower.

My friend goes to a private boarding school and she is one of the most down-to-earth people I've ever met.
I do know a few cocky guys from private schools, but they're just ruining it for the rest of you to be honest.. I'm sure you're all lovely people :biggrin:
Original post by jenigma
I haven't read all the previous replies but I agree with the ones I've read.
Not everyone who goes to private school is rude and arrogant, public school students are just as bad. I guess private school students are portrayed by the media as cocky etc. (because many who go to private schools come from well-off families), which as someone above said may be done due to jealousy as the majority of the rest of us are middle-class or perhaps even lower.

My friend goes to a private boarding school and she is one of the most down-to-earth people I've ever met.
I do know a few cocky guys from private schools, but they're just ruining it for the rest of you to be honest.. I'm sure you're all lovely people :biggrin:
You're one of the few people who have common sense. Not everyone at private school is cocky etc. I have to say most of the people are friendly and very easy to get along with though i am not sure about the kind of imagery media portrays
Alright posh ****

Retarded idiot
Because an inequality exists and there is a worryingly large group of people who would rather drag the private school children down rather than lifting the comprehensive kids up.

People don't realise that if private schools were abolished then all those kids would be sent to state schools putting a huge burden on budgets and ultimately reducing the quality of teaching, but hey as long as we're equal right?

Latest

Trending

Trending