The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by isaaccharles
I have come across several people on TSR who constantly hate private schools and claim that privately educated people don't work hard for A*s. But why all the hate?

I think it's just that whole social division; which isn't necessarily class related and they don't seem to have a legitimate reason to show a strong dislike towards privately educated people and if they do it's probably jealousy? I'm not privately educated but I do get annoyed sometimes at private school kids because I wish I was them haha :frown:
You're one of the few people who have common sense. Not everyone at private school is cocky etc. I have to say most of the people are friendly and very easy to get along with though i am not sure about the kind of imagery media portrays

The only private schools I'm familiar with are Harrow College, QE Boys and Lucton School.
And honestly the Harrow boys are such gentlemen compared to the guys I know from QE (the cocky ones) (':
What about all of us on the bursaries? I was on a academic bursary in senior school as were a few of my friends. Also some of my friends weren't but yet we all got along and I don't think they're snobby. I wouldn't say my education was better, it was I just didn't have as many idiots in class that the teacher had to spend time on. Also the school was stricter, with uniform, attendance and behaviour etc. For example my friend who went to the local school got sand paper rubbed down her face, and nothing happened to the boy who did that. At my school at the very least you'd be disciplined. At her school people would set off fireworks in the corridor, I got into trouble for skipping assembly to finish my AH dissertation. So it's things like that, that makes me happy I went to a private school. Also in my school charity work was a big deal people would fight to be retreat leaders and take children with disabilities on holiday, at my friend's school a girl got bullied for trying to start a fair trade club.

So yea, I've went off topic a bit, but essentially I'm saying why I liked private school and I think people have misconceptions of us and think we're all rich. I swear we're not.
Original post by tazarooni89
I would say it's more like paying a personal trainer to help you practise and become better at running before you enter the Olympics (something that people tend not to have a problem with).

A person who attends a private school doesn't get free marks or extra time in an exam compared to everyone else. He's just trained better from beforehand with the relevant knowledge and techniques to make him better at exams. Just like an Olympic race, as soon as the exam starts, everybody is subject to the same rules, with no extra help to give them an advantage over anyone else. They are equipped only with their natural ability and whatever preparation they did from beforehand.

Exactly better preparation, no matter how you look at it that makes the education system flawed. Because this is the system that is supposed to identify those with ability and willingness to do something, as oppose to those with money. This preparation as you call it amounts to an artificial advantage. Now I want people with the maximum ability to be working for me and filling up my universities, not someone with a boost.

And to further my analogy what if we all found out that Usain Bolt was the only one using a personal trainer?

Private schools represent capitalism in its purest form in the sense that you have the rich private schoolers like David Cameron stating 'work hard and you'll be like me' whilst playing on a completely different field. It makes it painfully obvious whilst that will always be what it outwardly declared, in action those same people will try everything to protect themselves from that eventuality.
Original post by jenigma
The only private schools I'm familiar with are Harrow College, QE Boys and Lucton School.
And honestly the Harrow boys are such gentlemen compared to the guys I know from QE (the cocky ones) (':
At least you think Harrow boys aren't cocky :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by Studyboy157
Private schools represent capitalism in its purest form in the sense that you have the rich private schoolers like David Cameron stating 'work hard and you'll be like me' whilst playing on a completely different field. It makes it painfully obvious whilst that will always be what it outwardly declared, in action those same people will try everything to protect themselves from that eventuality.

Since when did private schools represent capitalism?
Original post by harryhamilton
At least you think Harrow boys aren't cocky :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Do you go there?? o:
Original post by jenigma
Do you go there?? o:
Yes:smile:
Original post by jenigma
You're open minded about it, Harrow boys aren't cocky:smile:
Since when did private schools represent capitalism?

Cos of the rest of the paragraph :colondollar:

... In the sense that those with money will always seek the maintain their advantages whilst declaring it's completely moral and just.
(edited 9 years ago)
Yes:smile:

hahahaha it's such a small world (':
You're open minded about it, Harrow boys aren't cocky:smile:

That's good to know, maybe now I can have a non-cocky boyfriend xoxoxo

(just kidding) :tongue:
Original post by jenigma
That's good to know, maybe now I can have a non-cocky boyfriend xoxoxo

(just kidding) :tongue:

Hahaha sure:biggrin:
Hahaha sure:biggrin:

Legally, I left school a couple of weeks ago so will have to wait until uni now :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Studyboy157
Cos of the rest of the paragraph :colondollar:

... In the sense that those with money will always seek the maintain their advantages whilst declaring it's completely moral and just.
And how does capitalism fit in with private schools?:confused:
Original post by jenigma
Legally, I left school a couple of weeks ago so will have to wait until uni now :frown:
You're so lucky :eek:
You're so lucky :eek:

For leaving? I already miss it :frown:
Distinct end of my childhood
The idea that if your wallet's big enough you get better education than the majority. Money should never be involved with education, everyone should have the right to equal opportunities and it's ridiculous that someone with a worse background can only get second class education. The same reason capitalism should never be involved with health care or essentials like gas, electricity and water (which unfortunately it is).
(edited 9 years ago)
And how does capitalism fit in with private schools?:confused:

Because this not only prevents social mobility but it puts rich kids with an advantage above genuinely disadvantaged talented kids.

To answer your question again, it fits in because as long as there is an incentive for people to have money they will cheat as best they can to get it. Obviously to the extent where it's socially acceptable, however if we look at the past socially acceptable is relative to the era.
A lot of people don't believe you should have a huge helping hand in life due to your parents income.

That and the fact once you get to uni many are overrun by private school ****ers who think they are gods gift to the world despite many being frankly unintelligent and wouldn't have got to uni without the help it afforded them.

Latest

Trending

Trending