The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jenigma
For leaving? I already miss it :frown:
Distinct end of my childhood
I would of been ever so happy :smile:
Original post by isaaccharles
I would of been ever so happy :smile:

7 years spent seeing these people everyday though, it's hard to think that those days are now over :'(
hashtag nostalgia
Original post by Studyboy157
Exactly better preparation, no matter how you look at it that makes the education system flawed. Because this is the system that is supposed to identify those with ability and willingness to do something, as oppose to those with money. This preparation as you call it amounts to an artificial advantage. Now I want people with the maximum ability to be working for me and filling up my universities, not someone with a boost.

The people with the maximum ability are the ones who have acquired the most ability through their preparation. A person who has been prepared and educated better in the subject of Medicine is going to make a better doctor than someone who hasn't, regardless of how much that education cost.

Having a good education simply increases your level of ability, making you more worthy of top exam grades and more suitable for jobs which require the use of that ability. It is overall ability that the system is looking for, and which is useful in the real world. That includes developed abilities, not just God-given ones.

And to further my analogy what if we all found out that Usain Bolt was the only one using a personal trainer?

Simple, more athletes would start using personal trainers. And then the situation would be just the same as it is now. What else do you propose - that everyone should just turn up for their Olympic race "as is"?
Most kids at my school aren't snobby or bratty. Our parents just earn a bit more than most and they send us to private schools where the teaching and pastoral care is better. If private schools were really actually bad, do you really think that people go there or so many people leave with lots of a*s and Oxbridge offers?

I don't see why people from state schools keep on hating on private schools unless if it's due tk jealously basically.

So far, after five years of private schooling, I am very happy with my friends and teachers here so I see nothing wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by redferry
A lot of people don't believe you should have a huge helping hand in life due to your parents income.

That and the fact once you get to uni many are overrun by private school ****ers who think they are gods gift to the world despite many being frankly unintelligent and wouldn't have got to uni without the help it afforded them.

I go to a private school but we're normal people. We all have tk revise and do our homework like you so stop hating on us. And no, most people at university aren't actually from private schools so get your facts right. And most people who were privately schooled are normal and not snobby. Please stop stereotyping. Are you actually at university yourself and have all the people you met at uni been cocky? I do not think so.

And actually, no matter how good the school is, if the student does not put in any effort, then he or she will not get the desired grades. It's not like our teachers can take our exams for us...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tazarooni89
The people with the maximum ability are the ones who have acquired the most ability through their preparation. A person who has been prepared and educated better in the subject of Medicine is going to make a better doctor than someone who hasn't, regardless of how much that education cost.

Having a good education simply increases your level of ability, making you more worthy of top exam grades and more suitable for jobs which require the use of that ability. It is overall ability that the system is looking for, and which is useful in the real world. That includes developed abilities, not just God-given ones.

Simple, more athletes would start using personal trainers. And then the situation would be just the same as it is now. What else do you propose - that everyone should just turn up for their Olympic race "as is"?

If everyone where homogeneous that would be true, but the fact is those with the ability despite what the paper says will outperform those who were trained to make their paper look better when it comes to an actual job. Or are they going to pay someone to teach them how to 'get As' in the workplace too...

And what about those athletes that place 2nd or 3rd that can't just 'start using personal trainers'... Like most of the population. What would people begin to say if those personal trainers were in scarce supply and the ones winning had them disproportionatly.
(edited 9 years ago)
I don't hate them.

I think some people reckon privilege is evil, or are envious...

Privilege to me is OK if it doesn't give people too much advantage.
Reply 87
Because they're too poor/stupid to go to one.
I don't hate anyone from private school, I have friends who went, but honestly I do resent the system because of what it represents.
Because this not only prevents social mobility but it puts rich kids with an advantage above genuinely disadvantaged talented kids.

To answer your question again, it fits in because as long as there is an incentive for people to have money they will cheat as best they can to get it. Obviously to the extent where it's socially acceptable, however if we look at the past socially acceptable is relative to the era.

You have to understand that privately educated people are not talentless and are not placed anywhere above other children. You can't exactly deliberately blame anyone for being "rich". Parents have a choice whether or not to privately educate their children.
Just like with everything, the more money you have, the better quality you get - deal with it - that's life. Why shouldn't you be able to purchase with your hard earned money a better education for your children. The fact that many people forget is that the majority of the time it is hard working, middle class people who send their children to private schools. They sacrifice the holidays, the bigger house and work more hours. It isn't the mega rich who only send their brats to boarding school - although they do exist. I attend a public school in North Yorkshire, and I can assure you the majority of us are normal people whose families have sacrificed the luxuries to afford the private education - with many of us on academic scholarships. I am not saying we are poor - we are well off - but we have sacrificed certain things to be able to afford my education.

As for the easy grades if you attend private school. I agree that it is more of an achievement to attain high grades in a school that has a low average, but you can't group all state schools into one group - like many do with private schools. Many of the state schools in my area are as good in attainment as my private school. This is where it becomes unfair for private students, because people believe that because you went to a private school it was easier, but actually the state schools were very good too, so there is no difference in effort.

In addition to the point above, many opportunities are closed for private school pupils that are open for state school pupils. Now I know many of you will say that my daddy can get me a work experience placement at Goldman Sachs - but he can't. I have the same opportunities as many students in the state sector - yet due to many of the programmes being for state only - the students from the small, average private school are squeezed out. Just think about it :smile:

overall i I think that it would be stupid to close private schools, why deny someone the right to buy a better education. If you did that you would have to eliminate private healthcare, care homes etc. the more money you have, the better services you can afford - what's the incentive of working hard if you can't purchase a better service at the end of it?
It's not hate, it's probably resentment.
Original post by harryhamilton
You have to understand that privately educated people are not talentless and are not placed anywhere above other children. You can't exactly deliberately blame anyone for being "rich". Parents have a choice whether or not to privately educate their children.

If they are not in anyway 'placed above other children' why is it important I understand that they are 'not talentless', as a matter of fact what do people pay for then. You have to understand most state educated people are not talentless, my point is the fact that you can directly pay for an advantage (what else are they paying for?) over others in something as life influencing as education isn't morally just.

And if we are going to pretend, the least we can do is admit the implications here for true social mobility.

Don't get my wrong though I'm not blaming rich people for being rich. As long as these divides stand, I would rather my children get to be on the good side of the fence myself.
(edited 9 years ago)
if they are not placed above other children why is it important I understand that are 'not talentless'. You have to understand most state educated people are not talentless, my point is the fact that you can directly pay for an advantage (what else are they paying for?) over others in something as life influencing as education isn't morally just.

Don't get my wrong though I'm not blaming rich people for being rich. As long as these divides stand, I would rather my children get to be on the good side of the fence myself.
Simply being that private schools offer better facilities and working environment compared to comprehensive schools. No one is stupid enough for paying thousands of pounds for no productive reason!
Simply being that private schools offer better facilities and working environment compared to comprehensive schools. No one is stupid enough for paying thousands of pounds for no productive reason!

My point exactly.
Original post by noobynoo
It's not hate, it's probably resentment.

resentment can also be seen as hate
My point exactly.
So you think that privately educated people should be put below comprehensive students?
resentment can also be seen as hate

By people who don't know the difference, perhaps. Resentment is not hating the people but the system.
Simple: unfair advantage over state-schooled children.

So you think that privately educated people should be put below comprehensive students?

Did I say that? I think it shouldn't exist at all and that the quality of education across the nation should be equalised as much as possible, to a point where we can identify those whom would be most suitable as objectively as possible.

Latest

Trending

Trending