The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by noobynoo
By people who don't know the difference, perhaps. Resentment is not hating the people but the system.
I know, I supposed you meant hating the idea of private schools.
Original post by Studyboy157

Did I say that? I think it shouldn't exist at all and that the quality of education across the nation should be equalised as much as possible, to a point where we can identify those whom would be most suitable as objectively as possible.
I was just asking since you said that rich kids are more advantaged than the disadvantaged talented kids. No form of education would ever be equalised for a fact.
Original post by emy-n
I was in State school until Year 9 and then I went to a private school to do my GCSE's (& now my A-levels)

I think the reason most people hate those who go to private school is because they think we're "priveleged" and "stuck-up" which is not the case at all.
Some people will actually spend good money for their childs education :/ Not for the label that comes with it.
I have plenty of state school friends and we all have the same interests and ideas of fun.
There's no "divide" between us.
The people who have posted here saying private students are "stuck-up" are just stupid.

"Priveleged"? #MoneyWellSpent #TallyHo
Original post by Ziggy Sawdust
Where there is inequality there is envy; where there is envy there is hate.

And where there is hate... There is suffering
Original post by jenigma

Unrelated matter, but I'm fairly sure you followed me on twitter the other day...

Original post by isaaccharles
You're open minded about it, Harrow boys aren't cocky:smile:

None of them?
Original post by MrSupernova
Unrelated matter, but I'm fairly sure you followed me on twitter the other day...

None of them?
All the ones I know aren't.
All the ones I know aren't.

Do you go there?
Do you go there?
yes
yes

Harrow has about 800 pupils, yes? Yet you cannot think of a single individual who attends said school that could possibly be described as arrogant?
Harrow has about 800 pupils, yes? Yet you cannot think of a single individual who attends said school that could possibly be described as arrogant?

I don't know all 800 students. Not at all, like I said all the ones I know aren't.
I don't know all 800 students. Not at all, like I said all the ones I know aren't.
Some are arrogant :giggle:
Original post by harryhamilton
Some are arrogant :giggle:
But I most likely have no idea who the arrogant people are.
But I most likely have no idea who the arrogant people are.
:biggrin:

It says you quoted me but I can't see it although it keeps coming back to this post lol
Are you talking to me?
If so, that's so weird hahahaha, what's your @?
Original post by strawberrysnow
I go to a private school but we're normal people. We all have tk revise and do our homework like you so stop hating on us. And no, most people at university aren't actually from private schools so get your facts right. And most people who were privately schooled are normal and not snobby. Please stop stereotyping. Are you actually at university yourself and have all the people you met at uni been cocky? I do not think so.

And actually, no matter how good the school is, if the student does not put in any effort, then he or she will not get the desired grades. It's not like our teachers can take our exams for us...

Posted from TSR Mobile

My brother goes to private school, as did most of my uni friends. I am well aware that plenty of you are normal people. I'm also well aware that an unusually high proportion of you appear to be rather arrogant, and have that public school swagger. Personally I'd differentiate between a public schools - posh boarding school - and bog standard private also.

At no point in what I said in my previous post did I stereotype at all. All I said is once you get to uni you meet some ****ers from private school. Not everyone who went to private school is a ****er. There was absoluteley no need to go on the defensive. If someone said to me 'some people from Birmingham are ****ers' I would concede yes that is true, I wouldnt kick off about it. This is why people don't like you guys.

I'm a graduate. I went to Bristol uni. I met a lot of absolutely obnoxious people from private school, 3 of whom failed their degree because they shouldn't have been there in the first place because they just weren't clever enough. Oh, and one got a 2:2. Guess what my four friends from comps got? Firsts. There was a group of guys in halls who used to go on about how private school was better than comprehensive. All the ****y sports teams were private school too. They give private schools a bad name that is for sure, it is a totally different culture from normal people and I'm sorry but that is true.

Agh one of the most arrogant people I ever met at uni went to harrow. He was the worst.
Original post by redferry
Agh one of the most arrogant people I ever met at uni went to harrow. He was the worst.

I know someone who is currently at Bristol and she said that while everyone else mingles with each other no matter what background they're from, the people from the public schools (that are famous for being posh more than academics), especially Harrow and Marlborough and then places like Stowe, just mix with each other. :l
1) Average fees over a year at private schools are around £5000 above the funding a state school gets for a pupil. If that money was targeted at the poorest within society it would probably have a greater return than with private school children who are more likely to be pushed by families and have access to the cultural capital which will inculcate a value in education.
2) What they represent; first, they are a symbol of ingrained, inter-generational social inequality, reducing equality of opportunity. Second the continuation of 19th century class division (real or perceived).
3) The fact that if private school kids parents had to send their kids to state schools there would be a lot more pressure on national and local government to improve the quality of education.
4) They reduce the amount of cross-class social interaction those who are most likely to go on to be the leaders of this country have from an early age a reduced interaction with 'everyday people'.
5) Tax exemption.

These are all generalized comments and not my own view.

Personally, the most annoying people I've met have been those who A) went/go to minor public schools and B) wish they had. Any institution which view itself as 'better' than others tends to breed an arrogance that is obnoxious, including state schools (there are two state schools in my city which view themselves as being better than all others and my God they produce some idiots). Some of the nicest people I know come from private schools though (generally, I've found people playing for a rugby team a better general indication of their personality). On a societal level the impact they have on Oxbridge/ Russell Group universities is ridiculous but the fact of the matter private schools do tend to produce better candidates by the September/ October of A2 so their over-representation is sort of understandable.

If it was up to me I'd abolish private schools, make children go to their closest school up to A levels and allow parents to give money to the state specifically for education, though not to a specific school.
Original post by Sophsha
Maybe because kids in state school have to work harder to achieve the same grades as private schools as they get much more support.
Overall its stupid.

Sorry, but have you ever been to a private school?
People on this thread don't know **** about private schools, it seems. I personally don't go to one, but my brother does and my sister did. Firstly, private school students are not all snobby. Secondly, all of you going on about how 'only rich kids can go there'- please shut the **** up. If any of you actually bothered to go and look up a private school, you'd see that ALL of them offer bursaries off fees, up to 100%. My brother goes to Eton for almost nothing, simply because we got a mammoth bursary (95% off fees). Over 40% of his year is on a bursary. My sister went to her private school for free. They are very much accessible and are very willing to offer bursaries, especially to intelligent kids.
Learn your facts before posting crap on here.

Now, I can't argue with the fact that they don't have to work as hard- yes, they do have better teachers so naturally it's easier for them to do well. However, this does not mean that they're lazy

Latest

Trending

Trending