The Student Room Group

AQA A2 HISTORY: The Triumph of Elizabeth, 1547-1603 Offical Thread. 2nd June 2014.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by LonelyPlanet
My teacher also said Franco-Scottish relations will come up this year!
There will always be a religion question as it's such a big chunk of the course. I'm confident in both, but still revising government incase the questions aren't that great :L wbu? I know quite a few said they wouldn't learn Government because they will do the questions on Religion and FP

Posted from TSR Mobile

i find the government ones great to do because it quite narrow with a lot of historical debate and potential synoptic links! I'd love to have something about the perceived increase in the House of Commons powers!
Original post by knighty437
Has it worked now?

WHAT A FOOL I AM!

i saw gmail so I was trying to sign into the gmail account. Had no idea there was a thing called the 'dropbox' (thought it was just a nickname).

only thing I would say was weird about the essays are the occasional use of 'I' which I have heard is a big no no in the exam.
Original post by IllmaticDragon
WHAT A FOOL I AM!

i saw gmail so I was trying to sign into the gmail account. Had no idea there was a thing called the 'dropbox' (thought it was just a nickname).

only thing I would say was weird about the essays are the occasional use of 'I' which I have heard is a big no no in the exam.

Hahaha glad it's worked now! Tbh I haven't looked at them in for a while. I thought it was best to use "I " in the conclusion- however I know you can get around that. And try and make mini conclusions at the end of my paragraphs. Whether I have done that on them is another matter hahah

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 123
Just tried planning this question "To what extent was the deterioration of Anglo-Spanish relations in the years 1559 to 1585 due to disputes concerning overseas trade?" and really struggling with it :/ does anyone have any essays on trade or advice on how to do this one?
I've uploaded at essay on the last years of Elizabeth's reign to the dropbox account, it got 43/45 so I hope it's helpful :smile: it's handwritten but hopefully fairly legible
Reply 125
How would you define royal authority in the intro of an essay on it? I want to have a prepared definition if I need it :tongue:
Hi, i just uploaded one of my essays onto the dropbox account someone so kindly created. The question is “Elizabeth I was able to establish her Church with relative ease” Assess the Validity of This View :smile: Would someone be able to tell me what they think of it , roughly what mark and how to improve it? I'd be glad to help someone with their own essays/questions too. Thanks! :smile: xx
Reply 127
Has anyone got some historiography on Elizabeth's foreign policy???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 128
So nervous for this exam. Any predictions? My teacher seems to think MQS will come up in some context.
Reply 129
Plus if government came up would we just talk about the privy council, parliament etc?
Original post by bkw321
So nervous for this exam. Any predictions? My teacher seems to think MQS will come up in some context.

Hi :smile: I really hope MQS will come up as there's a lot you can discuss. For instance, if it was on how much of a threat she posed I would do
FACTOR 1.She fuelled the revival of the Catholic Movement vs Elizabeth suppressed the major Catholic Opposition.FACTOR 2.Her foreign support meant she was a threat etc VS Treaties meant they abandoned her, and their own internal problems=never really commitied FACTOR 3. Plots

A lot of people think France will come up as a question, but surely there isn't that much to write about???????? I'm so awful at foreign policy anyway :frown: I'm praying for Puritanism to come up :smile:
Original post by sophie231996
Hi :smile: I really hope MQS wimill come up as there's a lot you can discuss. For instance, if it was on how much of a threat she posed I would do
FACTOR 1.She fuelled the revival of the Catholic Movement vs Elizabeth suppressed the major Catholic Opposition.FACTOR 2.Her foreign support meant she was a threat etc VS Treaties meant they abandoned her, and their own internal problems=never really commitied FACTOR 3. Plots

A lot of people think France will come up as a question, but surely there isn't that much to write about???????? I'm so awful at foreign policy anyway :frown: I'm praying for Puritanism to come up :smile:

I'm hoping Puritanism too!! It hasn't come up before
Hey, I have been off sick for the large majority of my A2 course and I have been doing general knowledge reading for this course due to not being able to attend to class.

I was wondering what the key dates that I should remember are?
Also, when asked about Government does that just mean the Privy Council or does it include the House of Lords and Commons?

P.s - Is there any good resources I could use for revision? Such as notes and such.

Thank you in advance ^-^

Edit: Oh, could anyone upload any powerpoints their teachers used?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Helloello
I'm hoping Puritanism too!! It hasn't come up before

Hi :smile: I really hope MQS will come up as there's a lot you can discuss. For instance, if it was on how much of a threat she posed I would do

What points would you make on a Puritanism essay?
Original post by iheartdjokovic
What points would you make on a Puritanism essay?

Hi, I've got a quick plan for the question. How much of a threat did Puritans pose? This is how i'd tackle it, but i've no idea if its any good

FACTOR 1:Puritans were a not a threat, clear by the ease in which Elizabeth suppressed the movementJohn Guy"controlled her policy more than anyother tudor".-Appointment of Whitgift 1583, 3 Articles, meant anti puritan influence, sent message that puritans were not to be encouraged.Cope and Wentworth imprisoned 1587, Barrow and Greenwood executed 1593=deterrent. Only 3% of population puritan anyway.
On the other hand; still numerous attempts to undermine protestant church, 1563 Vestment controvesy, Sampson and Humphreys, Cartwrights Presbytarian Lectures 1571, 1584 Book and Bill, reignited by Cope in 1587, shows persistent and provoked many more to start questioning church.
MAKE A JUDGEMENT; THE ARGUMENT IS STRONG/WEAK

Factor 2: Were not a threat, as still respected authority as Supreme Govenor, and outbreak of war v spain meant more focused on defending existing religion, After 1584 Treaty of Joinville/Catholic League, force to accept better to conform than let internal weakness give Spain greater opportunity to intervene. As war dragged on, parliament less willing to listen to puritans, 1584 HoC Elections=disaster.
Penry Williams, by the latter years "the church had been acceppted by the commanding heights of society".
On the otherhand, always reasons to continue campaign to improve low standards of clergy. Many clergy members removed without reason-increase hostility. QE used church as source of cash and kept bishoprics vacant to save money-no bishop of oxford for 41 yrs. Also, clergy poorly educated etc. So, ongoing grievances which fuelled opposition for a long time.

Factor 3: Lack of influence in government, no decision making. Death of Leicester, Walsingham and other councillors marked end of tolerance for puritanisim, after this not taken seriously. Movement was inefficient and poorly organised, in comparison to catholicism. Graves says "where there were clashes they were of no long term significane because opposition neither organised nor strong enough to pose a serious challege"
On the other hand, QE felt personally threatened-can be considered true test of threat. Over 15% of clergy puritan, situated in London =immediate potential threat. Furthermore, suspension fo Grindal 1577, increased tensions and fuelled more opposition. Graves "QE made puritanism more of a danger than it really was"-struggled to control "puritan choir" Neale, forced to alter settlement etc
MAKE A JUDGEMENT:THE ARGUMENT IS STRONG/WEAK

OVERALL CONCLUSION

Again, I'm not sure if this is that great, my factors are a little confusing, but I hope it helps! :smile:
Reply 135

If france comes up, it'd be in the context of other things surely. Or it may be a synoptic question encompassing all 3 reigns. But in regards to MQS, there's a lot to say up till her death in 1587. Continuity and change could be well established in there. Could the question be To what extent, in the years 1562-1587, was Mary Queen of Scots the main catholic threat??? Or "Mary Queen of Scots was the biggest Catholic threat"- Assess blah blah. Im scared :/
Hi, I've got a quick plan for the question. How much of a threat did Puritans pose? This is how i'd tackle it, but i've no idea if its any good

FACTOR 1:Puritans were a not a threat, clear by the ease in which Elizabeth suppressed the movementJohn Guy"controlled her policy more than anyother tudor".-Appointment of Whitgift 1583, 3 Articles, meant anti puritan influence, sent message that puritans were not to be encouraged.Cope and Wentworth imprisoned 1587, Barrow and Greenwood executed 1593=deterrent. Only 3% of population puritan anyway.
On the other hand; still numerous attempts to undermine protestant church, 1563 Vestment controvesy, Sampson and Humphreys, Cartwrights Presbytarian Lectures 1571, 1584 Book and Bill, reignited by Cope in 1587, shows persistent and provoked many more to start questioning church.

Factor 2: Were not a threat, as still respected authority as Supreme Govenor, and outbreak of war v spain meant more focused on defending existing religion, After 1584 Treaty of Joinville/Catholic League, force to accept better to conform than let internal weakness give Spain greater opportunity to intervene. As war dragged on, parliament less willing to listen to puritans, 1584 HoC Elections=disaster.
Penry Williams, by the latter years "the church had been acceppted by the commanding heights of society".
On the otherhand, always reasons to continue campaign to improve low standards of clergy. Many clergy members removed without reason-increase hostility. QE used church as source of cash and kept bishoprics vacant to save money-no bishop of oxford for 41 yrs. Also, clergy poorly educated etc. So, ongoing grievances which fuelled opposition for a long time.

Factor 3: Lack of influence in government, no decision making. Death of Leicester, Walsingham and other councillors marked end of tolerance for puritanisim, after this not taken seriously. Movement was inefficient and poorly organised, in comparison to catholicism. Graves says "where there were clashes they were of no long term significane because opposition neither organised nor strong enough to pose a serious challege"
On the other hand, QE felt personally threatened-can be considered true test of threat. Over 15% of clergy puritan, situated in London =immediate potential threat. Furthermore, suspension fo Grindal 1577, increased tensions and fuelled more opposition. Graves "QE made puritanism more of a danger than it really was"-struggled to control "puritan choir" Neale, forced to alter settlement etc
MAKE A JUDGEMENT:THE ARGUMENT IS STRONG/WEAK

OVERALL CONCLUSION

Again, I'm not sure if this is that great, my factors are a little confusing, but I hope it helps! :smile:

This is so helpful, thanks so much!!
Original post by bkw321
If france comes up, it'd be in the context of other things surely. Or it may be a synoptic question encompassing all 3 reigns. But in regards to MQS, there's a lot to say up till her death in 1587. Continuity and change could be well established in there. Could the question be To what extent, in the years 1562-1587, was Mary Queen of Scots the main catholic threat??? Or "Mary Queen of Scots was the biggest Catholic threat"- Assess blah blah. Im scared :/

Ah Okay, I see what you mean; I was terrified that we'd get and awful FP question on France, despite the fact I'm not really revising FP; I'm just linking the events into revision of Religion, Authority, Consequences on Economy etc.
I'm worried for this exam too; an hour and a half is ridiculous, when you consider its 60% and there is a huge amount of content, and tbh, as long as your essay is good, what does it matter how quickly it was written? I can guarantee you I will not finish :frown: Damn AQA! :frown:
Are we allowed to pick any 2 questions or is there some sort of rule?

I heard that there would be 3 questions and we can pick any 2, so would I be allowed to pick 2 Elizabeth questions? Or?
Reply 139
Ah Okay, I see what you mean; I was terrified that we'd get and awful FP question on France, despite the fact I'm not really revising FP; I'm just linking the events into revision of Religion, Authority, Consequences on Economy etc.
I'm worried for this exam too; an hour and a half is ridiculous, when you consider its 60% and there is a huge amount of content, and tbh, as long as your essay is good, what does it matter how quickly it was written? I can guarantee you I will not finish :frown: Damn AQA! :frown:

Remain cool. What I do is -if i find that i have too much to write- that i quickly rate the things that are most important. Plus planning has always saved me from lagging behind. It's gonna be hard, but with hard work, it;ll be worth it. I'm just struggling with chronology, I'm focusing on that for now. Get that done, and it should be fine. I hope i get the A*.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending