The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yl95
Obviously we mean on average.
I doubt there are any all black schools that exist now - the only example I can think of is in the US and obviously achievement would have been lower. Hypothetically speaking, they probably would.
Did I suggest causation? No. Studies of relationships between socio-economic factors and attainment at school have been done and have given those results. I don't make facts up.
I would of agreed if there were 50% black and 50% white in the UK; black people are the minority in the UK thus no studies regarding that would exactly be correct and reliable. So, how about the white people who have low income, how do they achieve?
Original post by harryhamilton
I would of agreed if there were 50% black and 50% white in the UK; black people are the minority in the UK thus no studies regarding that would exactly be correct and reliable. So, how about the white people who have low income, how do they achieve?

Why would there have to be 50% black and 50% white for there to be a sufficiently large sample size?... Do you know how statistical testing even works on a basic level? You'd have to disregard a heck of a lot of studies, then. Black or not, countless of studies have been carried out showing that lower family income correlates with school attainment.
That's off topic; we're comparing blacks and whites as a whole and ON AVERAGE, blacks earn less.

(Blimey, I'm shocked at your use of 'would of'...)
Original post by Arithmeticae
So what makes splitting people up by race any different to splitting people up by gender? Why should one be OK and the other be ridiculous?

I go to an all-girls private school (well I've nearly finished now- I'm going to a co-ed sixth form). I've felt, especially through my uncertain early teenage years, that not having boys around has really helped. I've felt as though I don't need to hold back, because of worrying about embarrassing myself. There's a lot less drama about who's going out with who, and a lot less competition. I don't know how to explain it, but in an all girls environment I've felt that I can really just be myself, and everyone else can be themselves, concentrate better, and thrive.

Separation by race is an entirely different matter- that's separation due to the colour of someone's skin. You might as well separate people with blue eyes from people with brown eyes. That would be ridiculous.
Original post by aliciaa1997
I go to an all-girls private school (well I've nearly finished now- I'm going to a co-ed sixth form). I've felt, especially through my uncertain early teenage years, that not having boys around has really helped. I've felt as though I don't need to hold back, because of worrying about embarrassing myself. There's a lot less drama about who's going out with who, and a lot less competition. I don't know how to explain it, but in an all girls environment I've felt that I can really just be myself, and everyone else can be themselves, concentrate better, and thrive.

Separation by race is an entirely different matter- that's separation due to the colour of someone's skin. You might as well separate people with blue eyes from people with brown eyes. That would be ridiculous.

Yep, maybe, but does the apparent resulting increase in productivity make it OK? For all we know, people may do better socially if they were separated by race as well.

Who decides what point it becomes ridiculous at then? I think separation of people on any basis is just wrong TBH.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yl95
Why would there have to be 50% black and 50% white for there to be a sufficiently large sample size?... Do you know how statistical testing even works on a basic level? You'd have to disregard a heck of a lot of studies, then. Black or not, countless of studies have been carried out showing that lower family income correlates with school attainment.
That's off topic; we're comparing blacks and whites as a whole and ON AVERAGE, blacks earn less.

(Blimey, I'm shocked at your use of 'would of'...)
Blacks don't necessarily earn any fewer than whites; the only matter is due to the privation of support gained by those from families with a low income (both black and white) hence why the colour of skin doesn’t contribute to future attainment.
Would have* is what I was meant to say.

I went to an all girls grammar school and I ****ingnhated it. It was torturous.

I had to hold back and not be myself more because of it. Teenage girls are vindictive over the stupidest things, especially in single sex environments.
Original post by Arithmeticae
Statistics for this?

For all you know, it could turn out that in schools separated by race, people also do better. That still doesn't make it OK. Segregation is segregation, no matter what basis you choose for it.

Segregation does not necessarily have negative implications.
We segregate the Ill from the healthy during a pandemic.
We segregate children at school when placed in sets.

In its positive form it is a means by which we can bring the best out of a situation. Dismissing the idea of single sex schools purely on the basis that "its segregation" is foolish to say the least.

In all honesty, the key and most pivotal factor determining the life of an average high school student lies in the hands of that teacher that you either loved or hated. If a teacher is able to inspire a student to become a responsible, independent,logical thinker, that teacher will truly determine the path that the student follows.

The majority of us are a following a path set out by those that have inspired us most effectively, may it be our parents or in a rare case a state school teacher, nonetheless we are currently doing what we are doing because we were inspired or in an unfortunate case uninspired.

This issue lies deep in our education system and remains to be the fundamental flaw. Its solution is very difficult to find but I can guarantee you that segregation of children on the basis of some genetic lottery is not a step in the right direction.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Old_Simon
Well Winchester manages to send 44% (at the last count) of the cohort to Oxbridge / Ivy League and damn near 100% to RG or better. So yes - unis do seem to appreciate their qualities. As to SPGS many parents have expressed concerns - probably as a result of the pressure to perform academically which can provoke rebellious responses or worse.

I meant the first part of your post, never even heard of and couldn't care less about SPGS... I don't recall "breeding" being a very important part of the Oxbridge admissions process; most people don't really take much notice of that kind of thing anymore
Original post by MrSupernova
I meant the first part of your post, never even heard of and couldn't care less about SPGS... I don't recall "breeding" being a very important part of the Oxbridge admissions process; most people don't really take much notice of that kind of thing anymore

Unfortunately people like you generalise a lot and also attack other people without any evidence or data to back your proposition. It is a fact that among any cohort of pupils with identical grades at A level that privately educated (public school) applicants have statistically speaking an overwhelming advantage in terms of acceptance rates at Oxbridge. This is the central finding of all the high quality research carried out by the Sutton Trust. The exact mechanism by which this mysterious process occurs is unclear. Oxbridge just trot out their mantra that the only criteria is academic potential. But in the face of identical results how can that be exercised ? The reality of course is that they are admitting people with certain social characteristics.
Blacks don't necessarily earn any fewer than whites; the only matter is due to the privation of support gained by those from families with a low income (both black and white) hence why the colour of skin doesn’t contribute to future attainment.
Would have* is what I was meant to say.

I just quoted figures a few pages ago. I think it's best for me to stop because -- no offence intended -- your responses are really wishy washy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yl95
I just quoted figures a few pages ago. I think it's best for me to stop because -- no offence intended -- your responses are really wishy washy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My responses may be "wishy washy" whereas your responses are straight on racist.
My cousin goes to a private school.
Not all of the people who go to her school are like this- but quite a few of the ones there ive met think they are a cut above the rest just because they go to a private school. I find it a bit irritating to be honest, they are no better than anyone else, just because they go to a private school.
To be honest- it doesnt matter which school you go to. What matters is what grades you get.
(edited 9 years ago)
Unfortunately people like you generalise a lot and also attack other people without any evidence or data to back your proposition. It is a fact that among any cohort of pupils with identical grades at A level that privately educated (public school) applicants have statistically speaking an overwhelming advantage in terms of acceptance rates at Oxbridge. This is the central finding of all the high quality research carried out by the Sutton Trust. The exact mechanism by which this mysterious process occurs is unclear. Oxbridge just trot out their mantra that the only criteria is academic potential. But in the face of identical results how can that be exercised ? The reality of course is that they are admitting people with certain social characteristics.

"People like you"? Hope you're not generalising... :wink: I'd attribute what you just said to the benefits of private education (being more confident and articulate, as having a deeper knowledge of their subject - the most important thing - rather than just what what's on the syllabus), rather than admissions tutors caring about who an applicant's daddy is or their accent. A significant proportion of interviewers are foreign after all; why would they care about class?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by redferry
I went to an all girls grammar school and I ****ingnhated it. It was torturous.

I had to hold back and not be myself more because of it. Teenage girls are vindictive over the stupidest things, especially in single sex environments.

Well I guess it also depends on the person. For some girls, an all girls environment is perfect for them, for others, such as yourself, it's not. It also depends on the community you're around. The girls at my school are the nicest, most down to earth people I've ever met (well, most of them). I probably got lucky in a way but I think with the same girls and the same number of boys added to that, however nice they might have been, it would have hindered my education. But then again certain people do well in different educational environments and single-sex schools really help those who need them.
Original post by isaaccharles
The stereotype is the minority in actual fact

I was speaking from experience. I'm sure you're right though. What's it like studying at Harrow? Are you at GCSE or A Level :smile:
My responses may be "wishy washy" whereas your responses are straight on racist.

Look up racist. I've only provided facts. Where have I been remotely derogative towards black people?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EmmaBxoxo
I was speaking from experience. I'm sure you're right though. What's it like studying at Harrow? Are you at GCSE or A Level :smile:
It is alright but tiring and I'm at GCSE:smile:

Better preparation for interview and better opportunities exposed eg Olympiads...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well I guess it also depends on the person. For some girls, an all girls environment is perfect for them, for others, such as yourself, it's not. It also depends on the community you're around. The girls at my school are the nicest, most down to earth people I've ever met (well, most of them). I probably got lucky in a way but I think with the same girls and the same number of boys added to that, however nice they might have been, it would have hindered my education. But then again certain people do well in different educational environments and single-sex schools really help those who need them.

Yeah for girly stereotypically feminine girls its fine.

The girls at my school were the biggest bitches. Except the Muslim girls who were generally nice. And a couple of others.

I just got bullied throughout school.
Original post by redferry
Yeah for girly stereotypically feminine girls its fine.

The girls at my school were the biggest bitches. Except the Muslim girls who were generally nice. And a couple of others.

I just got bullied throughout school.

I agree; my school is incredibly bitchy. I've heard that St Catherine's is even worse...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending