The Student Room Group

Aat level 2

Is this worth me doing at college to get a goodish job one day? I expect a 25-30k job one day at least I would like one as this is fairly average. Although I'd be intelligent enough to gain a job like this I don't think I have the confidence to. CAn an accounts assistant get a job of this calibre one day? Baring in mind I'm not really prepared to do any further qualifications of a higher level
Original post by Lawrenc spa
Is this worth me doing at college to get a goodish job one day? I expect a 25-30k job one day at least I would like one as this is fairly average. Although I'd be intelligent enough to gain a job like this I don't think I have the confidence to. CAn an accounts assistant get a job of this calibre one day? Baring in mind I'm not really prepared to do any further qualifications of a higher level

You could progress to a job at that level, but you're really restricting yourself by not taking further qualifications. Level 2 is really basic and at some point, somebody will ask you to do more.
Reply 2
The whole point of the level system of the AAT is for you to eventually work your way up from level 2 AAT all the way to the ACA or at least AAT level 4.

AAT level 2 by itself isn't worth the paper the textbooks are made of.
Original post by 7M33R
The whole point of the level system of the AAT is for you to eventually work your way up from level 2 AAT all the way to the ACA or at least AAT level 4.

AAT level 2 by itself isn't worth the paper the textbooks are made of.

Yeah but it would get me a role as an accounts assistant would it not? And I'll be willing to take it one or maybe 2 steps further if a job wanted me to do that
Yeah but it would get me a role as an accounts assistant would it not? And I'll be willing to take it one or maybe 2 steps further if a job wanted me to do that

Why are you so reluctant to do further qualifications?
Original post by Hedgeman49
Why are you so reluctant to do further qualifications?

I'm not but when it costs 1000 pounds to do a level and thinking of all the time I might waste. Plus I don't know if I could handle a level 3 or level 4 well I might I just don't know yet. I'd rather wait to get a job and have then train me for free
I'm not but when it costs 1000 pounds to do a level and thinking of all the time I might waste. Plus I don't know if I could handle a level 3 or level 4 well I might I just don't know yet. I'd rather wait to get a job and have then train me for free

Oh right I understand now. I didn't quite get your post. Yes you should do the bare minimum to get into a job and then let them pay for the rest!
Reply 7

If you want to be an accounts assistant then I'd recommend going all the way to AAT level 4, that will at least hold some merit.

AAT level 2 would be like trying to apply to uni with one A level.
AAT Level 3 would be like trying to apply with two
And AAT level 4 would be like trying to apply with three.

So if you want the best chance of getting into a good role, then I'd do that.

However if you can somehow find a firm willing to pay your training costs, that would be perfect.
(edited 9 years ago)
After looking into it I may consider doing higher level aat levels but I would like to work in the mean time. Should I study aat level 2 whilst working in a dead end job or should I complete aat level 2 then look for a job and hope they give me training or give me day release to study for level 3? I want the quickest way to do this and also risk free so if I do fail I'm not a bum

Hi there,

If you complete the AAT level 2 certificate there are jobs that you may be able to gain from this such as:

Accounts AdministratorAccounts Assistant
Accounts Payable Clerk
Bookkeeper
Payroll Administrator
Payroll Officer
Purchase/Sales Ledger Clerk
Tax Assistant/Trainee
Trainee Accounts Technician.

This being said i'd just like to echo some of the other views here, the AAT is all about progression and helping you to work your way up in an accounts position and the higher level you qualify at the greater the opportunities you will get for more experienced finance or accounting positions.

There may be the option of finding a position such as above and then getting employer funding for you to do further study but this will be at the discretion of your employers. Generally studying for the AAT will reflect well on you as it shows you are committed to your own professional development within your career.

If you choose to study without getting employer funding there are various special offers, discounts and even some interest free payment plans with a select number of AAT approved training providers and so if you would like any more information please let us know here at the AAT student recruitment team on 0207 397 3002.

Best Wishes :smile:

Natasha
Also if any of you would like to order an AAT student information pack then you can do this for free here: https://www.aat.org.uk/contact-us/info-pack/student/form

Kindest Regards.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending