The Student Room Group

Vertical gene transmission (Unit 2 AS)

So I think I understand vertical gene transmission, but one thing didn't make sense to me.
In a past paper (Unit 2, AS June 2011, question 10D), there was a question on gene transmission, and on the mark scheme it says to "penalise reference to mitosis" when linked with vertical gene transmission.
I don't know why this is, as surely you could say vertical gene transmission occurs from within the same species when the resistant bacteria multiplies by mitosis?
I could see how you might not get a mark for mentioning mitosis but why do you get penalised for mentioning it? Hoping someone could explain that.
Thanks
Original post by golbom
So I think I understand vertical gene transmission, but one thing didn't make sense to me.
In a past paper (Unit 2, AS June 2011, question 10D), there was a question on gene transmission, and on the mark scheme it says to "penalise reference to mitosis" when linked with vertical gene transmission.
I don't know why this is, as surely you could say vertical gene transmission occurs from within the same species when the resistant bacteria multiplies by mitosis?
I could see how you might not get a mark for mentioning mitosis but why do you get penalised for mentioning it? Hoping someone could explain that.
Thanks

The only reasonable explanation I can think of is that they replicate and grow the population by binary fission (or budding), mitosis is just the way of increasing DNA content. However, I think they shouldn't remove the mark. I think the point they're trying to make is in regard to the question mitosis doesn't really increase the difficulty of treating (well it does, but JUMP THE HOOP they want you to talk about horizontal :smile:)
Reply 2
Original post by Mattywooda
The only reasonable explanation I can think of is that they replicate and grow the population by binary fission (or budding), mitosis is just the way of increasing DNA content. However, I think they shouldn't remove the mark. I think the point they're trying to make is in regard to the question mitosis doesn't really increase the difficulty of treating (well it does, but JUMP THE HOOP they want you to talk about horizontal :smile:)

Thanks for this, makes sense now.
I've always thought that cytokinesis was the process of the cells splitting but it's actually just the cytoplasm, which makes sense given the name...
So actually binary fission would mean an increase in the number, not mitosis.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by golbom
I've always thought that cytokinesis was the process of the cells splitting but it's actually just the cytoplasm, which makes sense given the name...

Not quite, Cytokineses is the cell dividing in eukaryotes, but prokaryotes divide differently (budding or binary fission).
Original post by golbom

Just figured out the mark scheme, forgive me it's exam term.

Penalize mitosis as prokaryotes dont do mitosis, they do binary fission.
Eukaryotes do mitosis and meiosis but not binary fission.

Both have cytokineses (splitting of the cell/cytoplasm or something)
Reply 5
Original post by Mattywooda
Just figured out the mark scheme, forgive me it's exam term.

Penalize mitosis as prokaryotes dont do mitosis, they do binary fission.
Eukaryotes do mitosis and meiosis but not binary fission.

Both have cytokineses (splitting of the cell/cytoplasm or something)

Ohh thankyou that's why then. I didn't realise this, that's really useful. I can't actually rember seeing this in the AQA book, maybe it doesn't specifically say.
Thanks again!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending