The Student Room Group

University or RAF after A levels

I'm interested in joining the RAF in the future, however, I also really want to go on and do German and History at uni. I'm aware that some jobs in the RAF allow you to get university degree qualifications and they could sponsor you to go through university (I don't know if they would let me do my chosen course, or if I'd have to do a course that'd lead on to the career - any help in this aspect would be helpful!!!). So i have a dilema; should I start the RAF after A levels and not do the course I want to do at uni, or go through uni then join the RAF after that, because in most cases the joining age would allow me to do this (just!)??? Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Original post by StarGirlFrankie
I'm interested in joining the RAF in the future, however, I also really want to go on and do German and History at uni. I'm aware that some jobs in the RAF allow you to get university degree qualifications and they could sponsor you to go through university (I don't know if they would let me do my chosen course, or if I'd have to do a course that'd lead on to the career - any help in this aspect would be helpful!!!). So i have a dilema; should I start the RAF after A levels and not do the course I want to do at uni, or go through uni then join the RAF after that, because in most cases the joining age would allow me to do this (just!)??? Thanks in advance!

Always always always university then RAF.

Yes you can enter without a degree, but the degree, the time at university, the chance to join and run societies and the chance to grow up will make you a better applicant, make the application process easier and mean you're on a level footing with other applicants.

Also worth thinking about what happens if you fail, if you get injured, or simply when you leave the RAF. Entering the civilian workplace without a degree is going to put you in an awful position despite whatever RAF career you may have had.

Degree first. No question.
Thats what I thought I should do, thanks! You dont happen to know if they'd be able to help me through uni if I were too join afterwards do you???
Reply 3
Thats what I thought I should do, thanks! You dont happen to know if they'd be able to help me through uni if I were too join afterwards do you???

The number of branches with university sponsorship available is dwindling, as are the numbers of them handed out, but they do exist. That really depends on the role within the RAF you're looking at. It does require extra commitment, too.
I've been looking into linguistics within the Raf (eg. Weapon systems operator) so German would help, and I've done French and German at gcse. I just want to do history because I feel passionate about it...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Study what you want to, then look to join. For most jobs a degree is a degree is a degree.
Reply 6
I've been looking into linguistics within the Raf (eg. Weapon systems operator) so German would help, and I've done French and German at gcse. I just want to do history because I feel passionate about it...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Most Universities as far as i'm aware have an Air Squadron as well which you can join which is always good for feeding into the RAF afterwards. I know there is one at my University. Check it out depending on your Uni.
Thanks, I think I'll go to uni, then RAF to keep my options open in case I change my mind, but I doubt i will :-)
It will help you on with your future career in the RAF. Trying to work full time and do a degree is by far the hardest way to do it. Do it when you are supposed to ie 18, then pursue the career.
Reply 9
I've been looking into linguistics within the Raf (eg. Weapon systems operator) so German would help, and I've done French and German at gcse. I just want to do history because I feel passionate about it

You won't get university sponsorship for that. Sponsorship is only available for a few officer roles, as you'd be applying for non commissioned aircrew that option's not available for you.
Original post by Drewski
You won't get university sponsorship for that. Sponsorship is only available for a few officer roles, as you'd be applying for non commissioned aircrew that option's not available for you.

I guess that solves my problem for me then!!! thanks :smile:
I have a similar problem: Do I apply for an RAF bursary, do the selection processes at the AFCO and OASC then go to university and then go to a UAS ,or, go to university, go to a UAS and then apply for an RAF bursary (and ofcourse do the selection processes)? The latter would mean I would get interview help and the like for the AFCO and OASC processes from the UAS.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Antspitfire333
I have a similar problem: Do I apply for an RAF bursary, do the selection processes at the AFCO and OASC then go to university and then go to a UAS ,or, go to university, go to a UAS and then apply for an RAF bursary (and ofcourse do the selection processes)? The latter would mean I would get interview help and the like for the AFCO and OASC processes from the UAS.

Since your intention is to go to university and try to get on the UAS regardless, does it matter?

Attempt a Bursary, go through the selection process as far as you manage. Either you'll get awarded the thing before going to university, or you won't, but either way you'll still end up at university and still have a shot at the UAS. Don't see how there's a dilemma there?
Where I go to university, go to a UAS and then apply for a bursary, I don't know how that would affect the time at which I would recieve the bursary, since appling for the bursary before, to start university in september, would mean that I would get the money when I normally would, in september. Also financing the period between going to university (and the UAS) to getting the bursary would be trickier than if I was to get the bursary at the start of university. As well as this, if I was to apply at the UAS before the bursary and I didn't get in, then I would know what to do next time when I do the selection at the OASC 'for real' (this, however, would be unlikely as the selection process- in terms of interviews and fitness- is pratically the same in the UAS and the OASC, but, I would rather risk the UAS than the OASC).
(edited 9 years ago)
Where I go to university, go to a UAS and then apply for a bursary, I don't know how that would affect the time at which I would recieve the bursary, since appling for the bursary before, to start university in september, would mean that I would get the money when I normally would, in september. Also financing the period between going to university (and the UAS) to getting the bursary would be trickier than if I was to get the bursary at the start of university. As well as this, if I was to apply at the UAS before the bursary and I didn't get in, then I would know what to do next time when I do the selection at the OASC 'for real' (this, however, would be unlikely as the selection process- in terms of interviews and fitness- is pratically the same in the UAS and the OASC, but, I would rather risk the UAS than the OASC).

Just because you apply for the bursary doesn't mean you'll get it, you do know that, don't you? Relative to the number of people who join the RAF, there is a tiny tiny tiny number of bursaries given out.

The length of time required for both processes is such that you can't apply for one and then wait for the outcome before deciding if the other is going to happen. Both processes would start a year before you went.

To me, it sounds like no dilemma at all. Apply for a bursary and university when in yr 13. If you get a bursary; great, go to uni, be on the UAS, carry on. If you don't get the bursary, go to university, apply for the UAS, see if you get on, if not, get in with uni societies, brush yourself off and try again the following year or follow the instructions given to you by OASC. And, frankly, your student loan will be of far more use than the bursary in terms of the money actually given to you.

Also worth noting that most people apply at least twice before getting in. And even if that weren't true, there's enough information on this site to not need more attempts at doing it as we collectively have walked potential candidates through every single step of the process. Don't get so fixated on the small things.

It's a no brainer. A degree should be a given. Do all you can to get that. Everything else is just guff.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Drewski
Just because you apply for the bursary doesn't mean you'll get it, you do know that, don't you? Relative to the number of people who join the RAF, there is a tiny tiny tiny number of bursaries given out.

The length of time required for both processes is such that you can't apply for one and then wait for the outcome before deciding if the other is going to happen. Both processes would start a year before you went.

To me, it sounds like no dilemma at all. Apply for a bursary and university when in yr 13. If you get a bursary; great, go to uni, be on the UAS, carry on. If you don't get the bursary, go to university, apply for the UAS, see if you get on, if not, get in with uni societies, brush yourself off and try again the following year or follow the instructions given to you by OASC. And, frankly, your student loan will be of far more use than the bursary in terms of the money actually given to you.

Also worth noting that most people apply at least twice before getting in. And even if that weren't true, there's enough information on this site to not need more attempts at doing it as we collectively have walked potential candidates through every single step of the process. Don't get so fixated on the small things.

It's a no brainer. A degree should be a given. Do all you can to get that. Everything else is just guff.

Yes, I would presume that only a tiny amount of people who join the RAF get bursaries and doing the degree would be the most important thing. Also, would I get a specific interview (specific in being seperate) at the OASC as I had applied for a bursary or am I just talking rubbish???
(edited 9 years ago)
Yes, I would presume that only a tiny amount of people who join the RAF get bursaries and doing the degree would be the most important thing. Also, would I get a specific interview (specific in being seperate) at the OASC as I had applied for a bursary or am I just talking rubbish???

I believe the days of doing an academic interview are gone.
So not for the OASC.But actually you have to have interviews for universities like oxford and cambridge.
So not for the OASC.But actually you have to have interviews for universities like oxford and cambridge.

You're saying that as if I don't know? Almost every university will interview you, not just Oxbridge. But I didn't mention that because it has absolutely no relevance to the conversation we were having.

Quick Reply

Latest