The Student Room Group

Why are British girls so fat?

1 in 4 women aged 18 to 24 in Britain is so overweight that their health is suffering.

By comparison, 12.7 per cent of French women are overweight, 14.4 per cent of Spaniards and just 9.3 per cent of Italians, the figures compiled by Eurostat, the EU's statistical office, show. In Romania, just 8 per cent of women are fat.

It's intriguing that we live in such a body-conscious society yet so many women continue to let themselves slip.

What are your thoughts behind the causes? Is it linked to class? Poverty? Lack of education? Anxiety? Subliminal rebellion against the constant use of size-zero models on billboards etc?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-health/10863001/Why-are-British-girls-so-fat.html

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I think it's because food is so delicious.

I ate two pies today and I'm not even sorry.
People love food, no more to it I think.
Reply 3
I blame Cameron
That's what happens when fruit is more expensive that chocolate :yep:

I kid but from what I've experienced, the chubba people I know just don't want to change they're just like 'this is me, this is who I am' so if they see nothing wrong with it they're not going to slim down - flabs over abs :teehee:
Its because cadburys created marvellous creations

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MidnightDream
That's what happens when fruit is more expensive that chocolate :yep:

I kid but from what I've experienced, the chubba people I know just don't want to change they're just like 'this is me, this is who I am' so if they see nothing wrong with it they're not going to slim down - flabs over abs :teehee:

Yep I agree!! Fruit is actually expensive than sweets/chocs:s-smilie::confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol at the people claiming the Brits love food more than the Italians.

Its definitely the type of food. Italians tend to cook fresh whereas Brits just get ovenable sugar and calorie laden stodge.
Reply 8
I think some of it is genetic tbf. I barely exercise yet I am slim, but my girlfriend has to watch what she eats and go to the gym 3 times per week or she puts weight on.

Also it's a given the average english diet isn't particularly healthy.

And also I believe girls naturally find it a bit harder than males to have super skinny bodies - I think their metabolism is just naturally a bit slower. Could be wrong though. :tongue:
Because they are short and ginger

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by j.sethzai
1 in 4 women aged 18 to 24 in Britain is so overweight that their health is suffering.

By comparison, 12.7 per cent of French women are overweight, 14.4 per cent of Spaniards and just 9.3 per cent of Italians, the figures compiled by Eurostat, the EU's statistical office, show. In Romania, just 8 per cent of women are fat.

It's intriguing that we live in such a body-conscious society yet so many women continue to let themselves slip.

What are your thoughts behind the causes? Is it linked to class? Poverty? Lack of education? Anxiety? Subliminal rebellion against the constant use of size-zero models on billboards etc?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-health/10863001/Why-are-British-girls-so-fat.html

Posted from TSR Mobile

Laziness, fat people will remain fat unless they go diet/excercise.
Because food. And no exercise.
Why are British men so fat?

40% of British men are overweight, and 20% are obese. Yet in Italy it's only 11%, 8% in Switzerland and 13% in Poland.

It's intriguing that we live in such a body-conscious society though so many men continue to let themselves slip.

What are your thoughts behind the causes? Is it linked to class? Poverty? Lack of education? Anxiety? Subliminal rebellion against the constant use of muscular figures in magazines, etc.?
Original post by Dazzling_Belinda
Yep I agree!! Fruit is actually expensive than sweets/chocs:s-smilie::confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tesco sell loose apples for around 40p.. hard to find chocolate/sweets to match that price.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Very different cultures. It's pretty obvious why this is the case if you visit other countries in Europe. Very different attitudes towards foods. Different types of food etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

OUCH..........

Reply 16
Original post by Meyrin
Why are British men so fat?

40% of British men are overweight, and 20% are obese. Yet in Italy it's only 11%, 8% in Switzerland and 13% in Poland.

It's intriguing that we live in such a body-conscious society though so many men continue to let themselves slip.

What are your thoughts behind the causes? Is it linked to class? Poverty? Lack of education? Anxiety? Subliminal rebellion against the constant use of muscular figures in magazines, etc.?

Why so defensive?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm half English, half Italian. General consensus is that we've gone from shaming fat people to shaming models, so now skinny, or even average sized is bad, but being disgustingly obese is effing great. My Italian relatives literally bond over food, and not one of them is overweight. Social media blows up if someone gets called fat, and we've come to accept it as the norm.
Reply 18
Original post by Dani California
I'm half English, half Italian. General consensus is that we've gone from shaming fat people to shaming models, so now skinny, or even average sized is bad, but being disgustingly obese is effing great. My Italian relatives literally bond over food, and not one of them is overweight. Social media blows up if someone gets called fat, and we've come to accept it as the norm.

This is a pretty insightful post. I agree that it may be a culture thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Laziness and poor diets. Women expect things to be handed to them on a plate. There is little incentive to get healthy. Men are just as guilty.
I support fat shaming. Lack of self control and unnecessary greed is nothing to be proud off, and is an unattractive trait.
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending