The Student Room Group

Media Studies Unit 1 GCSE AQA Prelim Material

Topic: Promotion and Marketing of Video Games
Preliminary Material- Gaming, Dance floor/Detectives

Hey guys! Anyone else doing the media gaming exam? I was thinking we could discuss and help each other with the prelim and come up with predictions of what the questions are likely to be?

Scroll to see replies

Hey, I'm picking The Detectives one, what about you?

Q1: Marketing and Promotion of video games/their USPs
Q2: Plan your own campaign (All 3 platforms etc)
Q3: How it generates buzz and/or USP (Not sure about this one... but it is similar to Q2)
Q4: Draw a 30 second storyboard for the TV advert or a website plan

What are your guesses?
Reply 2
Hi

I have chosen DANCEFLOOR

I think the questions will be:

1. Qualities of a successful marketing campaign inc examples
2. How would you promote and market the new game
3. 10 frame storyboard for a TV trailer
4. Other ways of promoting the game inc e-media

Hope that is helpful!!
Reply 3
I think you could include them in how you would promote the game or in how you would create an effective campaign...
Reply 4
Where and how do you think the USP will fit in?
Reply 5
Hi guys I'm doing the exam too. I was going to do the detectives but my teacher said that the player would physically move with the webcam to e.g 'track suspects on foot'! She has confused me! Anyone know?
Reply 6
I have a feeling they might ask us to argue why video games are beneficial...cus they seem to be into physical and mental fitness aha
Okay, my school's media department is beyond BS so, could someone please tell me how they are preparing for this exam, what they are learning, etc, etc. media has not been a smooth ride for me these last two years and i am beyond exasperated. What should i be doing to prepare going in to the exam???
Reply 8
I think they may ask about your unique selling point/ how it differs to other video games.
Also do you think when you answer the questions you should bring up the game promotions which you have researched since the pre released material states to research two existing video games advertising campaigns?
Reply 9
Hey guys, here are some revision notes for you all:
Statistics:
Gaming industry generated 2.8 billion in UK alone in 2011
Woman: 40% Men: 60% <-Increasing female audience
USP
Dancefloor USP and Appealing to a range of audiences / bringing people together
>Hypodermic needle theory
>Uses and Gratifications:colone:ntertainment, Diversion
>Choice of setting, can bring relaxation for audience or set mood, reaches different target audience (eg beach for peace and relaxing, adults, party scenes for younger people, fantasy scenes for children)
>Fitness programme<- Maslows Hierarchy of Needs: Survivors, routine in fitness programme, appeals to older audience/parents who won’t think the game is wasting time in their busy life, will accept the game as it provides fitness for them
>Maslows Hierarchy of Needs: Explorers <- Personal growth, players can track their progress
>Players can watch their selves on screen: Appeals to children, interactive
>Playlist of 100 free music tracks: Synergy with itunes, increases business for game as well as itunes, people will buy the game for free itune tracks thus increasing audience
>Personal playlist: User control, mass audience of widespread music, doesn’t limit to a niche audience as it doesn’t focus on one type of music other people may not like, allows all types of music thus increasing audience
>Choreography/each track: Mass appeal, different types of dance style, appeals to dancers as well as people who enjoy music
>Multi-mode playing, appeals to audience who wish to play with friends and family, brings in competitive aspect which appeals to hardcore gamers as well as casual
>Convergence with web 2.0, synergy with social networking sites and youtube generates talkability online with everyone uploading their own videos=Mass hype, expanding target audience, reaches wide range of people as majority of age groups use social networking sites

using pre and post release strategies and creating a buzz leading up to release

Pre release strategies and creating a buzz: Billboards in mass cities, attracts audience, generates talk-ability, youtube challenges from famous youtubers such as pewdiepie, hypodermic needle theory (celebrity endorsement) Or using famous dance celebrities to play game and advertise to public via youtube, social networking sites<- Also generates talk-ability and builds hype
Putting release date backs to increase audience tension, increase hype and talk-ability, make game more want-able <- Generate buzz
Releasing fewer copies than demand, out of stock, people will want it more if it’s harder to get, willing to go to more extreme lengths to get game
Teaser trailers & trailers, advert, in breaks of Britain’s Got talent, and be post release too
Banner pop ups on websites aimed at children or facebook, can use web 3.0 on facebook to advertise to people who like dancing
Posters in childrens shops, posters in clothes shops, archetype girls like clothes and dancing etc.
Beta versions of the games, critiques can leave good reviews, gains user trust and more likely to buy when game released
Website-daily news letter, keeps people up to date and interested in game
Controlling release of information- drip-feeding
Concept art from famous artists
Magazines, cross media convergence links
POST RELEASE:
Spin off merchandise such as clothes, clothes focus on main design themes of the game, the customer will recognise such colours due to talkability, buy the game (maybe?)
Differen’t game designers for different covers, wii game will have more friendly and childish cover design to appeal to kids and family, Xbox/ps3 have more older/professional looking cover to appeal to older audience
Reviews from famous reviewers, if positive it will gain trust, more likely to buy (also celeb endorsement)
Trailers on TV ad breaks such as Britains Got Talent, a different trailer per add break focusing on the USP’s of the game
-Phone versions, free apps with add on purchases like extra songs or features, handheld devices mass gaming audience with widespread family audience. Will advertise for other versions of the game and also expand audience to mobile gamers
-Special editions, eg. Christmas version could have limited edition christmas songs from celebrities (exclusive to the game, celebrity endorsement/hypodermic needle theory) People will buy game for additional content and celebrity exclusiveness (ADD ONS= new features like new songs)
-Constant updates with new songs, purchasable extra content, synergy with itunes, always updated with the most popular songs
Competitions, eg share this facebook page and automatically be entered in a chance to win a game copy

Health, benefits of gaming:
Benefits on health:
>Games help the brain think, progress different situations, improve in puzzle/strategy
>Games increase and encourage creativity
>Catharsis-Games reduce agression instead by acting as a diversion
>Stress relief
>Help hand eye coordination and reflexes
>Biggest entertainment industry, bigger than film industry
>Helps reduce weight,keeps you active and fit (Danceoff)
> Can boost social skills in multiplayer modes

Negatives of gaming on health (Focus on positives however)
>Bad role models eg GTA5 characters
>Endorses violence eg.Shooting of school pupils in Columbine by Eric and Dylan, obsessive over game: DOOM
>Children become anti-social, shut-ins
>people become addicted, like a drug
>Lead to emotionless people, people who don’t react to death and violence (key word: Desensitisation)
>Disinhibition- Makes people do violent things they wouldn’t normally do
>Health issues-Lead to poor eyesight, bad back posture
>Online cyber-bullying, could lead to depression

Describe your promotional campaign for the game you have chosen

Promotional Campaign chosen:
Trailers
Can be added on web 2.0: Youtube, can go viral if successful thus creating a buzz and making it successful , Facebook (shared) Reaches target audience as wide range of audience demographics watch youtube and use facebook, increases talkability too
Trailer can be on TV adverts, in the breaks of BGT (synergy), a new USP being showed per advert/break. BGT has family audience, so people more likely to buy the game
Billboards in mass cities, attracts audience, generates talk-ability, youtube challenges from famous youtubers such as pewdiepie, hypodermic needle theory (celebrity endorsement) Or using famous dance celebrities to play game and advertise to public via youtube, social networking sites<- Also generates talk-ability and builds hype
Putting release date backs to increase audience tension, increase hype and talk-ability, make game more want-able <- Generate buzz
Releasing fewer copies than demand, out of stock, people will want it more if it’s harder to get, willing to go to more extreme lengths to get game
Teaser trailers & trailers, advert, in breaks of Britain’s Got talent, and be post release too
Banner pop ups on websites aimed at children or facebook, can use web 3.0 on facebook to advertise to people who like dancing
Posters in childrens shops, posters in clothes shops, archetype girls like clothes and dancing etc.
Beta versions of the games, critiques can leave good reviews, gains user trust and more likely to buy when game released
Website-daily news letter, keeps people up to date and interested in game

Why will your campaign be successful?

-Reaches the family audience and wanted demographics
-Reaches people on wide scale enabling talkability, hype and buzz, more people who know about it, more people will buy the game
-It is interactive, enables interactivity and gives user control
-Will become mainstream, so more people will be peer pressured by friends into buying game, more people trust and buy game
-Easy interface for casual and hardcore gamers
Multi-platform Marketplace
-

Show us your storyboard for a prime time TV advert for your game

1)First screenshot: DanceOff Logo for icon, recognisable to public
2)Secondscreenshot: People dancing, in a group, family and then teens, shows how it unites people together, interactive, colour theme: Colourful, bright lighting appeals to children,shot at midshot to show audience they can have the game, isn’t below or above what they deserve

Voiceover (girl, archetype) with funky writing style to match the party and creative genre, says USP of changing setting (people being put into different scenes, adults in beaches,young people in fantasy lands) has a zooming shot showing how you can be part of the party too

Next shows an overweight individual on the game, her fitness being tracked, shows USP and how you don’t have to be fit to play the game, appeals to adults looking to decrease weight, shot from low angle, shows how user has control and power,

Screenshot of convergent links, facebook, twitter etc. web2.0 talkability

Rating from famous singers, eg. One Direction, appeals to younger audience who will make parents buy game, hypodermic needle theory (celebrity endorsement)

7) Synergy with itunes, say 100 new tracks, also mention limited edition version for people who buy it now, first come first serve, generates hype and people will be more eager to buy game
- know about promotion and marketing concepts: AIDA
examples of two campaigns:
GTA marketing:
Grand Theft Auto had a marketing and game development cost of £170 million approximately
Grand Theft Auto Five was first officially acknowledged by Rockstar on the date: 25th October 2011. The game was revealed on their official website and a social media website known as Twitter. By using twitter it increased their mass audience as twitter enables users to share information and find information relevant to them. As users continued sharing to their friends and so on, it produced a result where millions knew about the games soon arrival.
In order to promote the new game, the game was repeatedly revealed through video trailers which were available on their official website and social media websites such as Youtube. Yet again the marketing team made sure to focus primarily on advertising on social websites as millions use these websites and most users fit their target audience of 15-30 year olds. Additionally, the game also enabled limited users to try out demos of the game and reviews were made by critiques yet again to make sure more people were aware of their new game. The second promotional trailer was then released early in November 2012, celebrating the one year anniversary since the last debut trailer. Furthermore, to increase the promotional rate of the game, the game itself was repeatedly marketed through video game trailers thus extending their audience to hardcore gamers and casual gamers.
Another way that the game was marketed is by releasing cover art. However, instead of the cover art you would expect to see for a game, the company hired artists to paint the cover art on a wall as a mural.
Furthermore, the marketing was also expanded to viral marketing including The Epsilon Program where when a user registered, the game offered the chance for five people to appear in the GTA5 game as an actual member of the fictional cult.
Special editions of the game,unique packaging, codes for new content in game
Synergy with Sony- PS3 500gb came with GTA5 copy

The marketing for GTA 5 was successful as when the game was released on the 17th September. It made a massive amount of $800 million within the first day.

DISNEY INFINITY MARKETING

Marketing has occurred on web 2.0 to reach their target audience and to alert parents of the new product (Facebook, twitter)

Special edition Disney Infinity characters- Crystal Characters. These are original characters which take on a translucent form and are limited to particular retailer outlets.

New figurine packs for new popular movies like Frozen. Playable characters include Elsa and Anna.

Disney Trailer released in Jan 15th 2013

Through trailers and adverts to reach their target audience, primarily focused on younger children and yuppies. Also could be focusing on demographic E and perhaps parents because they have had a childhood with the characters you can play as in the game.

Social networking sites through web 2.0, constant shares will lead to knowledge of the game and thus is likely to increase their sales (Viral Buzz)

Disney is already a trustworthy and very well known company, the audience are aware of the big brand name and are more likely to buy the game as they are aware that it will be fun and worth the money as Disney has lots of money to put into the game.

Fans of Disney films, already an audience who are likely to buy the game as it includes the most popular characters of disney. Fans of Avalanche (Synergy with Disney) are likely to buy the game also.

PLEASE TELL ME IF I AM MISSING ANYTHING

Reply 10
Original post by gra4ce
I think they may ask about your unique selling point/ how it differs to other video games.
Also do you think when you answer the questions you should bring up the game promotions which you have researched since the pre released material states to research two existing video games advertising campaigns?

I think if will probableh ask you about compare two marketing campaigns and how they were effective,
or when you're making a marketing campaign for your game like dancefloor, you should say: This marketing method will be successful (eg trailers) explain why, and say GTA 5 was also successful in this and made 800million in the first day
Reply 11
Original post by Millie-3
Okay, my school's media department is beyond BS so, could someone please tell me how they are preparing for this exam, what they are learning, etc, etc. media has not been a smooth ride for me these last two years and i am beyond exasperated. What should i be doing to prepare going in to the exam???

Hey, I made some revision notes, you can use them if you want, I think they include the things you need to know, don't think I've missed out anything, but someone let me know if I have x_x (see above for revision notes)
Reply 12
Original post by ElleseG
Hi guys I'm doing the exam too. I was going to do the detectives but my teacher said that the player would physically move with the webcam to e.g 'track suspects on foot'! She has confused me! Anyone know?

I don't have a clue what your teacher was on about with the track suspects on foot, but I said that:
Webcam appeals to children, as it enables them to appear on the TV which is a archetypical childs dream, so it increases the target audience to younger children,
It also makes the game more interactive which is a key USP the game has
Reply 13
Original post by olivia_taylor
I don't know why there isn't more threads or discussions about the media exam...

But how would you in-cooperate the different theories, e.g hypodermic syringe theory, into your answers for the tasks? And would you only mention the theories in one of the four tasks or more than that?

Mention theories as much as you can!! But don't make them feel forced

EG:

Hypodermic syringe theory= use when saying about celebrity endorsement for a marketing campaign,

Use Maslows Hierarchy of Needs to describe how the game will meet the needs/wants of the target audience, if you're doing dance floor it's survivors and explorers
Reply 14
I think it's pretty clear the questions are likely to be focused on:

1) TV advert storyboard (VERY LIKELY)
2) Successful marketing/Buzz campaigns (the examples or the game)
3) USP of DanceFloor/Detective
4) How does (game choice) reach the needs of the target audience
5) The benefits of gaming, (eg on health, bringing family together) To reach the top marks, make sure to mention 1 or 2 negatives of gaming, but say how the benefits of gaming outweigh the negatives
Reply 15
Original post by DanMargetts
Hey, I'm picking The Detectives one, what about you?

Q1: Marketing and Promotion of video games/their USPs
Q2: Plan your own campaign (All 3 platforms etc)
Q3: How it generates buzz and/or USP (Not sure about this one... but it is similar to Q2)
Q4: Draw a 30 second storyboard for the TV advert or a website plan

What are your guesses?

What do you mean by the three platforms?
XDD Oblivious to that.-
Original post by Pandorax
Hey guys, here are some revision notes for you all

Heya. Not replying with entire quote because it takes up too much space. Thanks so much for these notes. We have spent pretty much the ENTIRE year just doing coursework. Just coursework. The only exception being mocks. I was considering doing the detective option (I have never played a dancefloor game).

Anyway, my teacher said expect gender. Most of the guys in our class chose the detective one because it was aimed more at them. Girls were split between them. Dancing games tend to be aimed towards women (not to say men don't play them, it's just target audience).

Edit: I'm having a read through everything and we have not done most of this. Hypodermic Needle theory? Gratificationsntertainment? We've missed out on so much.
I did alright in mocks though so maybe I don't need all of that.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Craig1998
Heya. Not replying with entire quote because it takes up too much space. Thanks so much for these notes. We have spent pretty much the ENTIRE year just doing coursework. Just coursework. The only exception being mocks. I was considering doing the detective option (I have never played a dancefloor game).

Anyway, my teacher said expect gender. Most of the guys in our class chose the detective one because it was aimed more at them. Girls were split between them. Dancing games tend to be aimed towards women (not to say men don't play them, it's just target audience).

No problem, hope you find them helpful! And same, I got an A* in my coursework, so does that mean I need to get a B min to get an A*? And we were recommended to the dance floor one because it was the easiest to write about, and we had already studied just dance at an earlier date XD
Detective might be quite hard to write about, but it will work if you enjoy it more!

Gender..Nothing was really mentioned about that in the pre-release..I don't think that will come up because it's too obvious? Obviously revise it just in case because I could be wrong, make sure you know about a FAMILY AUDIENCE, I think instead of gender, it's focusing on the family target audience, how games can re-unite families and how a game can appeal to young and older ages

Family audience because it was pretty much underlined in bold capital letters throughout the pre-release..XD

We did quite alot of mock questions though, I think the hardest ones are the ones where it gives you a question, and bullet points you have to write about it. It seems they try and over complicate the words as it is quite hard to process at first
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Pandorax
No problem, hope you find them helpful! And same, I got an A* in my coursework, so does that mean I need to get a B min to get an A*? And we were recommended to the dance floor one because it was the easiest to write about, and we had already studied just dance at an earlier date XD
Detective might be quite hard to write about, but it will work if you enjoy it more!

I got an A in my coursework I think. Maybe a B. I might just try and fit a lot more revision in (I've kind of reserved that week for maths).
I'm not picking media for college but I think doing well in all my GCSE subjects (except photography. Seriously just screw photography) will improve my chances of getting in and getting into uni.
Reply 19
Original post by Craig1998
I got an A in my coursework I think. Maybe a B. I might just try and fit a lot more revision in (I've kind of reserved that week for maths).
I'm not picking media for college but I think doing well in all my GCSE subjects (except photography. Seriously just screw photography) will improve my chances of getting in and getting into uni.

I'm doing Media for A level so this is important to me xD For media I know most of it I think..Like..It's pretty much just knowing the key words and analysing? I'm trying to read my notes every day

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending