The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Not eating and not exercising.

Whilst not a woman, I've definitely put on weight over the last few years I've been at university. On free days I barely moved.

I can feel a little fat on my belly now and fat rolls when I twist my hips sideways when, for instance, I hold a foot up behind me with my hand for stretching. I ate mostly chips, chicken, beans, pies, sausage rolls, pizzas.

I've made a few changes, I have frozen veg more, I've started jogging. I get lettuce for sandwiches. I cook fresh meat and make sauces with chopped tomatoes. Hopefully I'll see these changes soon.

People should all go jogging.

Personally I think we need soft play for adults. They're fun assault courses and we use a lot of energy in there. There's motivation because it's fun. As far as I'm aware, the only reason I've not been into any soft play is because of the age restriction and that I would be out of proportion to the passages, compartments, corridors because they're designed for small children. Even if they made it like the Gladiators assault course, I think it would encourage adults to exercise, also because it would be fun.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 83
lol Modern life should come with a calorie intake label
I like food. It tastes nice. Mind you I'm not fat but I guess people don't exercise as much, there's a lot of stress and when you're stressed you reach for high-fat foods, there's lots of fatty and salty foods around so people gain weight. Britain has a binge-drinking culture which doesn't help. Bad for your health but there are skinnier people like me (I'm a size 10) who are just as unhealthy, the weight will hit me soon enough, it's biding its time. I just worry about my general health, I worry about what my poor heart looks like. Hoping to start running again in the summer, I stopped a couple of years ago because my hayfever was making me feel like rubbish and then I got caught up in uni stuff and haven't got back into it. I like running.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ChickenMadness
Can confirm I love food. I just cook proper food that actually has delicate flavours and ingredients.

Not just gease in a pan rofl.

I'm half Italian too, I eat ana absolute **** tonne of food, it just doesn't have many calories in because the majority is cooked from scratch.
Britain is cold so more fat provides more warmth. Britain being cold also means less need to wear revealing clothing so less need to keep slim.
Original post by datpiff
Definitely. British food sucks. It famously sucks. We haven't got a good reputation in other countries whatsoever.

This thread is obviously not full of people who are experts at educating people and delivering health related interventions and know nothing about dieting and exercise. Just full of (mostly) men having a moan about fat women. It reminds me of the disgustingly sexist phenomenon that is 'slut shaming', but it's probably just because of the name.

The most important thing about weight loss (in my experience) is that the person has got to WANT to do it and has got to be involved in physical activity that they ENJOY. Shaming, bullying and making fun of people doesn't work. That will most likely cause that person to resort to what brings them comfort. Binge eating is a cycle, like depression. Breaking the cycle has to be through something positive. Of course it's a fight, but 'shaming' is not the right route to go. This problem is linked to poverty, education, class, etc, etc.

It's amazing how much of a difference education and introducing young people to new foods can make. Sometimes the difference can even start from showing people how to make a healthier alternative to a pizza. You don't just throw people in the deep end. You take small steps.

So so so much of it is down to diet though. I don't exercise but always stay slim. My boyfriend loves Chinese takeaway and as soon as we start eating that with any regularity (say, once every week or so) the weight piles onto me (and him). It was always the same in exam time - I started getting things you just shove in the oven and I gained weight.

Literally all you need to do to stay slim/lose weight in my experience is stop snacking, cook from scratch and don't et anything sweet. I don't understand how shocked people get when I say I don't snack.
They are fat because they eat more food than they need to and the food is high in saturated fats, calories, low in protein and high in carbs. I blame the weather the hotter it is the more people would want to get the toned look and so would lose weight to look toned.
Unhealthy food is cheaper than healthy food.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tillytots
We work longer hours than most of the Europeans and are encouraged to have short lunch breaks and eat on the go which encourages the market for ready meals, where as many other on the continent get two hour lunch breaks and don't really work past 6pm. I think it's a shame it's acceptable to be fat because it's not attractive nor healthy.

This is a really good point as well, working people get very little time to cook, and those who finish at six are encouraged to go for a few pints after work so still end up with little time to prepare anything. In Italy theylle pretty much eat one huge meal in the afternoon and something small for dinner, not gulp down something bready (bread in this country is awful, so much sugar) at lunch time.

If people had shorter hours people would cook more. Without me I think my boyfriend would probably either be obese or unhealthily thin depending on whether he ate junk food or didn't et at all because he's been working until 8 or 9 pm most of the year.
I think gym's too expensive so not many people go.
Also its difficult for a lot of people to suddenly stop eating so much crap. They lack motivation and they probs don't really know enough about how to be healthy
I heard something about how British women snack too much. Makes sense, light breakfast, poxy lunch then before dinner we start snacking. Also, 'British cuisine' isn't the most healthiest with all due respect. Pies, Roast dinners, mash, sausages, fish and chips, sandwhiches with mayo, crisps, dairy milk bars, bread and butter pudding, indian takeaway on a Saturday night, Mcdonalds on a Friday, Starbucks before lectures...you get the deal.

Oh, and exercise is the key, from that you get so much self control, aims and it even helps with other things like concentration.

I have no opposition if a person self willingly wants to put themselves in such a position where they, know they are consuming more than they want to, or need. Also, a women may want to lose weight and is in the process of doing so, labelling her as 'fat' is either going to motivate her, or- because we're women- break her.
Its cus we fookin love masterchef

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 93
Original post by swagyolo420
Its cus we fookin love masterchef

Posted from TSR Mobile

Great British Bake off*
it is mainly a class thing ? None of the Royal Family are lardbuckets.
Original post by kjd-x
And suddenly because society is starting to promote this whole "big is beautiful" image, slimmer girls with an average BMI like myself are being slammed and degraded for our weight. For example phrases like "only a dog wants a bone" and "go eat some pies" are circulating the internet more and more these days. I have a very healthy body yet suddenly it's not desirable; many overweight girls seem to be jumping on the big ass/huge curves = "real woman" bandwagon and it's really damaging to think that way. Because a lot of the time it's NOT curves, but unhealthy excess fat that women are so proudly embracing. It's quite sad really.

I agree. Big is disgusting, and slim girls are far more attractive.
Original post by the mezzil
I agree. Big is disgusting, and slim girls are far more attractive.

That's pure opinion. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The internet is proof of that. Just look at how many 'big girl' fetish sites there are!
Original post by chrishutch
I think gym's too expensive so not many people go.
Also its difficult for a lot of people to suddenly stop eating so much crap. They lack motivation and they probs don't really know enough about how to be healthy

It's only recently that more affordable 'budget' gyms have started to pop-up like 'Pure Gym' and 'The Gym'. £15 memberships aren't expensive compared to the gym memberships you get at Virgin and Fitness First. These 'budget gyms' are only in the 'big cities' though. I can remember when in a lot of gyms you had to dedicate yourself to joining for around 6-12 months! What is also not good is that local authorities don't seem to see sports and leisure facilities as very important.

The image that gyms have doesn't help either. The image that gyms are full of angry gorillas who take steds, hang around on bodybuilding.com and stare 'fatties' down while they're using the bench or on the treadmill.

Original post by redferry
This is a really good point as well, working people get very little time to cook, and those who finish at six are encouraged to go for a few pints after work so still end up with little time to prepare anything. In Italy theylle pretty much eat one huge meal in the afternoon and something small for dinner, not gulp down something bready (bread in this country is awful, so much sugar) at lunch time.

What also doesn't help is that PE in this country sucks. Back in my day in school around 1999-2004 PE only engaged a few people (the 'lads' and popular sporty kids). It was just football, football and more football. A bit of swimming, gymnastics, dodgeball and rugby was involved, but that's it. PE was also bullying central and that alone put kids who weren't exactly the best in the class off sports for a long time.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by datpiff

What also doesn't help is that PE in this country sucks. Back in my day in school around 1999-2004 PE only engaged a few people. It was just football, football and more football. A bit of swimming and rugby was involved, but that's it. PE was also bullying central and that alone put kids who weren't exactly the best in the class off sports for a long time.

I went to a girls school and we didn't get to play football :'(

Girls pe is if anything even more awful. My hand to eye coordination came out worse than when I went in.
As someone who has recent lost a lot of weight, I have bags of sympathy. Habits are extremely hard to break.
Besides that, lots of people just might not know how to eat healthily. It involves a lot more cooking, whereas it's so easy just to bung chicken nuggets and chips in the oven. That, and it's a completely different taste. I've had to force myself to eat vegetables, although I love fruit, and it's hard when chips are much tastier.
Exersize can make you feel pathetic if you are not used to it. It's all very well saying 'move more' but if you're out of breath and exhausted after running for 3 minutes, it can be very demotivating.

And you know healthy food can be much more expensive, especially if you don't know where to get it. A bag of chicken fillets in Iceland - £4. A bag of chicken thighs (much more fatty) - £3 for a bigger bag, huge bag of chicken nuggets - £2. That and you have to keep buying vegetables and fruit fresh, which adds up.

So yes it's possible to break the habit, but it is hard.

Latest

Trending

Trending