The Student Room Group

A2 Edexcel Unit 3: Revolution, Republic and Restoration, 1629-67 (JUNE 2013)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KiraM23
Could they ask a question revolving radical sects like Quakers or fifth monarchists? Just seems too...horrid as a subject? Or Levellers?

Yes, possibly, I'm entirely sure how specific they'd be though :redface:. My teacher (whose an examiner for this paper) coined a few practise essays and one was about the Leveller influence on the failure to reacher settlement - basically the Putney Debates and the fear they inspired in parliament of a radical religious agenda in the army - then you could argue that their influence actually wasn't that strong (considering how quickly Cromwell suppressed the uprising in corkshire and that the army were generally only concerned with obtaining indemnity and receiving arrays if pay) rather it was the image Levellers gave of religious disorder within the army which was the greatest influence. And even then, not that significant in contrast to the actions of the king and parliament itself in the failure to reach settlement.

Sorry, revised this today :P it is quite a nasty question - the fifths monarchists you wouldn't have much to say about, since it occurred after a settlement was reached and the Quakers were just one of many, which only had indirect influence.

That's my reasoning anyway :smile:

do you have the specification? If so, I'd just go over every word mentioned - like in the search for settlement, last year the question was focused solely on the army, and it's only mentioned in passing on the spec.
Reply 121
Original post by can'tbeleftblank
Yes, possibly, I'm entirely sure how specific they'd be though :redface:. My teacher (whose an examiner for this paper) coined a few practise essays and one was about the Leveller influence on the failure to reacher settlement - basically the Putney Debates and the fear they inspired in parliament of a radical religious agenda in the army - then you could argue that their influence actually wasn't that strong (considering how quickly Cromwell suppressed the uprising in corkshire and that the army were generally only concerned with obtaining indemnity and receiving arrays if pay) rather it was the image Levellers gave of religious disorder within the army which was the greatest influence. And even then, not that significant in contrast to the actions of the king and parliament itself in the failure to reach settlement.

Sorry, revised this today :P it is quite a nasty question - the fifths monarchists you wouldn't have much to say about, since it occurred after a settlement was reached and the Quakers were just one of many, which only had indirect influence.

That's my reasoning anyway :smile:

do you have the specification? If so, I'd just go over every word mentioned - like in the search for settlement, last year the question was focused solely on the army, and it's only mentioned in passing on the spec.

ahh ok - thank you! :smile: OOh examiner teacher... yeah if he/she gets some illegible.. thing..it may be mine...lol
How keen is your knowledge from 60-67..?
Original post by KiraM23
ahh ok - thank you! :smile: OOh examiner teacher... yeah if he/she gets some illegible.. thing..it may be mine...lol
How keen is your knowledge from 60-67..?

Yeah, she's a brill teacher :smile: I've felt very relaxed doing history this year, she constantly puts us through our paces and revises the topic consistently, and told us how we should structure our essays (though you can probably gather as much from reading examiner reports :P)

restoration...hmmm...I am quite confident on the actual reasons for the restoration - general Monck, failings of the republic, popular pressure and Charles himself. But the restoration settlement and cavalier parliament I'm shaky at best :s-smilie:. I know my own three topics very well though, so I'm avoiding that one like the plague :P

i'm hoping there's a nice one on personal rule about laud or Stratford they're pretty major and haven't come up yet :/ you?
Reply 123
Yeah, she's a brill teacher :smile: I've felt very relaxed doing history this year, she constantly puts us through our paces and revises the topic consistently, and told us how we should structure our essays (though you can probably gather as much from reading examiner reports :P)

restoration...hmmm...I am quite confident on the actual reasons for the restoration - general Monck, failings of the republic, popular pressure and Charles himself. But the restoration settlement and cavalier parliament I'm shaky at best :s-smilie:. I know my own three topics very well though, so I'm avoiding that one like the plague :P

i'm hoping there's a nice one on personal rule about laud or Stratford they're pretty major and haven't come up yet :/ you?

yeah... Not a restoration fan - I have facts and figures for personal rule/ civil war/ side taking controversy which would be nice to do. Rest -...less so :L
Which university you hoping to go?
Original post by KiraM23
yeah... Not a restoration fan - I have facts and figures for personal rule/ civil war/ side taking controversy which would be nice to do. Rest -...less so :L

Durham :smile: my offer's A*AA...and I also have a scholarship which is conditional upon meeting my offer, so if I don't get an A* I'll not only be loosing a university place...but 9000 -_-. History's my best bet at the A*! :smile: You?
Original post by KiraM23

could you lose marks on courseworks for errors made on word such as grammar errors?
Reply 126
Original post by peter qwert
could you lose marks on courseworks for errors made on word such as grammar errors?

if you made lots and lots, then I think it would affect AO1 - essay writing ?
Original post by KiraM23
if you made lots and lots, then I think it would affect AO1 - essay writing ?

Was just reading through my cw again and notices 3 errors in part A and 3 in part b.Would this cause my mark to go down?
gahh i really hate this course :')
also if i have 176/200 ums anyone know what i need this year for an A? obviously i'm always aiming higher but still :smile:
Reply 129
Original post by sambenson13x
gahh i really hate this course :')
also if i have 176/200 ums anyone know what i need this year for an A? obviously i'm always aiming higher but still :smile:

there have been talks in my school - don't be complacent ofc as my friend remarked :L where if ...e.g. if you get a high A* or w/e last year - 180ish - you'd only need a low A /high B or something - to get a low A

you need 320/400 for an A.... I think
also, just out of interest, how would you guys justify charles' rule as tyrannical. I mean he didn't have parliament but he had advisors which he relied upon quite a bit. how else could you differentiate between tyranny and say 11 years of creative reform? :smile:

thanks!
Original post by KiraM23
there have been talks in my school - don't be complacent ofc as my friend remarked :L where if ...e.g. if you get a high A* or w/e last year - 180ish - you'd only need a low A /high B or something - to get a low A

thanks :smile: i wont be complacent, just makes me feel a little better :smile:
I'm getting seriously stressed for this exam! :frown: can someone please help me with how they structure their part B essay or possibly upload a sample of one they've written?

My fear is that the part B essay I'm writing is too similar to the 40 marker I wrote in Unit 2 for AS..how different are the two meant to be structure wise?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gooner4ever
I'm getting seriously stressed for this exam! :frown: can someone please help me with how they structure their part B essay or possibly upload a sample of one they've written?

My fear is that the part B essay I'm writing is too similar to the 40 marker I wrote in Unit 2 for AS..how different are the two meant to be structure wise?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually, structure wise in section B, they aren't too fussed. Section A is about 'the mastery of essay writing' so, yeah, a good structure is key - but in section B, don't panic, if you can only think 'for' and 'against', but have lots of quality discussion/criticisms/evaluation, it'll still get you to good marks. (Myteacher's an examiner btw, so I'm not just making this up :tongue:)
Original post by KiraM23

Hmm? Say you got 187 UMS last year + 80 for coursework, you'd get 267 UMS. This exam is out for 120, you only need 53/120 to get an A? :/ unless my maths in wrong...
Actually, structure wise in section B, they aren't too fussed. Section A is about 'the mastery of essay writing' so, yeah, a good structure is key - but in section B, don't panic, if you can only think 'for' and 'against', but have lots of quality discussion/criticisms/evaluation, it'll still get you to good marks. (Myteacher's an examiner btw, so I'm not just making this up :tongue:)

He thanks for your reply. What do you mean by criticism? Have you been actually told to critic the sources? I saw on an examiner report that someone had done something like this by arguing that the source lacked focus in a certain area....what about evaluation could you please give me an example of that? Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 136
Hmm? Say you got 187 UMS last year + 80 for coursework, you'd get 267 UMS. This exam is out for 120, you only need 53/120 to get an A? :/ unless my maths in wrong...

yeah....seems right, essentially just getting an A and assuming you got 80/80 for coursework.
Wouldn't get an A* but even now I'm still confused how someone gets can A*...For maths you need 90% UMS for A2 exams...
Do you need on average total 90% UMS or 90% UMS for each module- exam and coursework individually?
Original post by gooner4ever
He thanks for your reply. What do you mean by criticism? Have you been actually told to critic the sources? I saw on an examiner report that someone had done something like this by arguing that the source lacked focus in a certain area....what about evaluation could you please give me an example of that? Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Erm, ok, say for localism there is one source that gives and example of family divides in Lancashire on the basis of feudal antagonism (Hastings and the Greys), you could then say this source is limited because it only focuses on one area of Britain and considering that Britain was run like a collection of counties within the nation as a whole, each motivation will vary from one to the other - it is limited in it's view-point. Then you'd evaluate that by considering using another historian's view point (say. Blair Worden who says 'the nearest thing to a clear divide was religion)- compare the significance of localism against religious factors and then you could conclude that they should, be deemed more important than localism, since it was religious and economic factors which determined the nature of localism and rivalries.

Hope this makes sense xx :smile:
Original post by KiraM23
yeah....seems right, essentially just getting an A and assuming you got 80/80 for coursework.
Wouldn't get an A* but even now I'm still confused how someone gets can A*...For maths you need 90% UMS for A2 exams...
Do you need on average total 90% UMS or 90% UMS for each module- exam and coursework individually?

Haha 90% on A2 units only. Which is strange, because you could be in the frustrating situation of getting 90% in the A level, but not an A* because you didn't get 90% at A2. :/
i'm in the situation where I could get a C in this exam and get an A overall, but need to get 84% in this exam to get an A*? :redface:
Reply 139
Haha 90% on A2 units only. Which is strange, because you could be in the frustrating situation of getting 90% in the A level, but not an A* because you didn't get 90% at A2. :/
i'm in the situation where I could get a C in this exam and get an A overall, but need to get 84% in this exam to get an A*? :redface:

wait wait ... so do you need 90% in coursework and 90% exam individually?
Or do you need an average total 90% e.g. get around 98&UMS coursework and ... 88% Exam, but it'd still balance out to 90%?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending