The Student Room Group
Freshers week
University of Westminster
London
Visit website

Westminster - Freshers 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tabishy
Considering switching from Westminster (my firm) to my insurance, UWE Bristol. What made most of you go for Westminster? All it took was for my dad to do a simple Google search saying "is westminster a good university" and the search results just say it all, really - with most of the complaints being the terrible administration (which I've seen for myself, takes me to call them a few times and remind/push them in order for them to do anything at all) and the fact that they're mostly just looking out for your money and treat their students like customers rather than students. UWE on the other hand has great reviews and is way higher ranked so I'm starting to regret having chosen Westminster as my firm in the first place, though UCAS told me it's still not too late to switch my firm/insurance (phew) :smile:. From the research though (which admittedly I should have done more of before choosing) and the general vibe about Westminster, it isn't a very good university.

I suppose it's (one of) the best in the country for fashion/film/media/communication/architecture, but for the others (e.g., Business, Law) what made you choose Westminster? Just curious.

As you say, I chose Westminster because of its reputation within the Media sector, given that I hope to study Journalism (a course which Westminster founded).

Administration might not be great but then again administration at big businesses/banks isn't outstanding and we trust them with way more than we do any Uni.

I think as another poster suggests, it isn't about the Uni itself solely, it is about the time you have there, whether you are happy there and the opportunity it affords you. Think of it as though it is a 3 year networking event. Indeed, for most subjects where better to study than LONDON, the HEART of the business world?

Aside that, reputation is always everything. People who are best at things in the world don't have the best reputation, heck, we don't really hear about many of them because they are hidden away behind 'poster people'. How many singers write there own songs?

If, come results day, you feel you've made the wrong choice, you could try seeing if UWE are in clearing and release yourself into Clearing and access it that way. Also, if you are unlucky enough not to meet your firm, you could end up at your Insurance anyway.
Freshers week
University of Westminster
London
Visit website
UWE is apparently a fairly good uni, but not the best in Bristol, that would be University of Bristol. I'd maybe put it on a par with Westminster. It seems in uni rankings in London if you aren't the best (I.e LSE, UCL, imperial etc.) Then you are the worst. But ive been to plenty of open days to know that Westminster isn't bad at all. Im going there for the employment options, the diversity and the fact its where politics and international relations happens! (My subject btw).
Having said that Bristol is a great city, I live really near it, and there is also a lot of opportunity there. It depends what you want from university.
Hey! I'm Sahiba, 18 from Kenya, studying Psychology at the Cavendish Campus :smile: anyone else in the same boat?
Original post by tiinamn
Hello!

There wasn't a thread for 2014/15 freshers so I thought I'd start one. Last year's Freshers thread seemed like a great way to get to know people before uni starts, so I thought it would be useful to make a thread for this year's freshers too!

I'm Tiina, 19, from Finland. I will be studying Fashion Buying Management on Harrow campus and I have applied for Harrow halls :smile:
Hey:smile: it seems like nearly everyone here has already been offered a room at student court wembley. I applied a day after they opened for applications but still haven't gotten any answer if I'm being offered a room or not and I'm starting to worry since I'm an international student and really need to get into student court. Does anyone of you know if they choose randomly or how does the whole system work?
Hey :smile: I'm Sahiba, 18,
I've accepted a place to UW, Cavendish Campus, studying psychology
I'll be staying at Independent Student Living in West Hampstead.

anyone else remotely in the same boat?

I'm trying to get a head start on meeting people I suppose
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 285
I'm doing business economics anyone else doing it ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey!

I'm Danni, 18, and I'm coming to Westminster from the US. I'm studying television production, and I'll be staying at Harrow Hall. Can't wait to be in London for the first time!

Please feel free to shoot me a message or reply if you're doing television production or living at Harrow Hall as well, it'd be really great to meet some people beforehand.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Sy1996
I'm doing business economics anyone else doing it ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll be doing Business and Law :smile:
Original post by danyxin
Hey!

I'm Danni, 18, and I'm coming to Westminster from the US. I'm studying television production, and I'll be staying at Harrow Hall. Can't wait to be in London for the first time!

Please feel free to shoot me a message or reply if you're doing television production or living at Harrow Hall as well, it'd be really great to meet some people beforehand.

Hi Danni!

I'm going to be studying Journalism at Harrow and living in Harrow Hall. Have you applied and got your room offer yet? :smile:
Original post by James Brookes
Hi Danni!

I'm going to be studying Journalism at Harrow and living in Harrow Hall. Have you applied and got your room offer yet? :smile:

Hey James!

I've got my room offer already! What about you? Although, I don't actually know what my room number is yet, hope I didn't miss that info on my offer.
Original post by danyxin
Hey James!

I've got my room offer already! What about you? Although, I don't actually know what my room number is yet, hope I didn't miss that info on my offer.

Awesome! Yeah, I've confirmed mine. My bank balance cried a little when I had to pay the deposit. Haha! Looking forward to it though - glad it's so close to both the uni and the Tube too. I've not got my room number or anything yet. I think we'll probably get that closer to the time.

Have you visited the Uni or been over to London before or will this be the first time? :smile:
Awesome! Yeah, I've confirmed mine. My bank balance cried a little when I had to pay the deposit. Haha! Looking forward to it though - glad it's so close to both the uni and the Tube too. I've not got my room number or anything yet. I think we'll probably get that closer to the time.

Have you visited the Uni or been over to London before or will this be the first time? :smile:

It's great to hear that you've got a room offer as well! Hope I see you around then.

I've never been to London, so I'm looking forward to going for the first time! If you have any tips for a foreigner like me, please tell because I'd probably embarrass myself the minute I get off the plane.
Original post by danyxin
It's great to hear that you've got a room offer as well! Hope I see you around then.

I've never been to London, so I'm looking forward to going for the first time! If you have any tips for a foreigner like me, please tell because I'd probably embarrass myself the minute I get off the plane.

Absolutely! I can't wait to get there now. Where about's in the States are you from?

London's a truly wonderful city - probably just above Paris on my favourite places in the world! There's always something to do. It's busy and bustling and it can seem daunting at first, but generally it's a great place to be. We Brits, especially Londoners, are a bit opposed to eye contact and prone to sarcasm, haha! But apart from that, we tend to be a friendly bunch. Let me know if you need any help with anything though or want me to show you around the city. The halls are about 25 minutes from Central London on the Underground but you can pretty much get anywhere in the city in no time at all.

You'll have to visit some of the other places in the UK when you're over too. I'm from the north of England so my house is surrounded by fields! Haha. As much as we moan, it is actually a really nice country. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Absolutely! I can't wait to get there now. Where about's in the States are you from?

London's a truly wonderful city - probably just above Paris on my favourite places in the world! There's always something to do. It's busy and bustling and it can seem daunting at first, but generally it's a great place to be. We Brits, especially Londoners, are a bit opposed to eye contact and prone to sarcasm, haha! But apart from that, we tend to be a friendly bunch. Let me know if you need any help with anything though or want me to show you around the city. The halls are about 25 minutes from Central London on the Underground but you can pretty much get anywhere in the city in no time at all.

You'll have to visit some of the other places in the UK when you're over too. I'm from the north of England so my house is surrounded by fields! Haha. As much as we moan, it is actually a really nice country. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! I'll have to let you know if I need some help getting around. I'm from Alabama which is unfortunately not one of the better states, but before that I lived in Canada. So no worries, I don't have a Southern accent.

(By the way, I hope I'm not clogging up this board for other people! Don't mind me.)
Flat 713 Student Court anyone?

And anybody studying languages? I'm studying French and Spanish ☺️
Hi people! I've just finished my first year at Harrow Campus, it's amazing and you'll all have a great time!
Just a heads up, the local pub Trinity is brilliant, it's where everyone of us go on Tuesdays and Thursdays, as they have cheap drink deals!
Hope to meet you all soon.
Tom.
Original post by whitneyyy
When I called up they said the £100 promotion finished last week....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Eee thats so cheeky, I got an offer yesterday (still may) they told me 250, I wanna pay 100 man!!
Anybody studying Human Nutrition?? My name's Sam Petrucci add me on Facebook :smile:

Picking my place at student court and I have no idea where to go!
Original post by danyxin
Thanks! I'll have to let you know if I need some help getting around. I'm from Alabama which is unfortunately not one of the better states, but before that I lived in Canada. So no worries, I don't have a Southern accent.

(By the way, I hope I'm not clogging up this board for other people! Don't mind me.)

Awesome. That sounds cool. I've never been to the States before (as much as I'd love to!) Feel free to PM me if need be or I'm on Facebook too. 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys we are gonna have a great time!

Btw my roommates whoever you are, I tend to walk round in my underwear haha enjoy!!

#freshers! :wink: xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending