The Student Room Group

OCR exam board

Two out of three of my a-level subjects are on the OCR exam board (psychology and applied science, god help me)
Is it just me, or is anyone else struggling with OCR? It's like they just want everyone to fail. The information in the OCR psychology A2 book (the one with the eye on the cover) is either worded ridiculously or completely wrong. Can anyone suggest a good revision tool in revising for the OCR A2 psychology papers, without using the OCR books? I have been struggling to find something for ages now.
Reply 1
Two out of four of my AS levels are OCR, and I am not dropping either of them next year, so I'll be in the same situation as you (but different subjects).
I also don't really like OCR that much, from what I hear other exam boards are better in general (Except OCR B chemistry is apparently nice, but of course I am made to do edexcel chemistry >.> )

Anywho, well, one option is CGP books. I found this one which seems right for you https://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/Student/books_a2_psychology.book_PYRR61
CGP books are in general great, despite lacking some detail sometimes (depends on the CGP book).

You can also look online to see other students' notes. For my Physics all we have is one terrible textbook, and a really small CGP guide, so several people online upload notes and stuff for helping with it, you can search around and see if anyone's done that for psychology.
Reply 2
Original post by Okkefac
Two out of four of my AS levels are OCR, and I am not dropping either of them next year, so I'll be in the same situation as you (but different subjects).
I also don't really like OCR that much, from what I hear other exam boards are better in general (Except OCR B chemistry is apparently nice, but of course I am made to do edexcel chemistry >.> )

Anywho, well, one option is CGP books. I found this one which seems right for you https://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/Student/books_a2_psychology.book_PYRR61
CGP books are in general great, despite lacking some detail sometimes (depends on the CGP book).

You can also look online to see other students' notes. For my Physics all we have is one terrible textbook, and a really small CGP guide, so several people online upload notes and stuff for helping with it, you can search around and see if anyone's done that for psychology.

Thank you so much. Yeah, OCR for biology and chemistry is quite good apparently (Sod's law though, isn't it really)

Thats what I'm worrying about, I've looked at those CGP books before, and they are quite good, but as you say, are lacking in detail. Which for psychology, a lot of detail is needed.

I'm planning on just giving up :s-smilie:
Reply 3
Original post by Laurenjoys
Thank you so much. Yeah, OCR for biology and chemistry is quite good apparently (Sod's law though, isn't it really)

Thats what I'm worrying about, I've looked at those CGP books before, and they are quite good, but as you say, are lacking in detail. Which for psychology, a lot of detail is needed.

I'm planning on just giving up :s-smilie:

Is it? Ah, I do AQA biology and edexcel chemistry, of course my teachers gave us the icky exam boards.

I think that book was one of the larger books as opposed to just a revision guide, I think the larger books are great (I have one for AS biology) but again I wouldn't really know.

I just did some searching around and found some sites which seemed to have revision stuff one, I didn't really click any of the posts though because I don't do psychology so don't know how good the notes would be anyway:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/gary.sturt/A2%20Modules.htm

^ this one seems useful, but again don't do psychology so I wouldn't know XD

http://ocra2psychologyg543.blogspot.co.uk/

^ appears to be some blog, hopefully it's good.

I don't know how up to date those sits are, or if you need massively up to date stuff, but even if those aren't great you can still search around a bit, and there should be some help somewhere. ^^
Reply 4
well thats not good. next year i am starting my a levels and all my subjects are ocr. maths, physics, chemistry and computing. damn it lol

i already take ocr as ict instead of gcse and really don't like the exam board the mark schemes are so messed up are they for other subjects?
Reply 5
Original post by mkwhater
well thats not good. next year i am starting my a levels and all my subjects are ocr. maths, physics, chemistry and computing. damn it lol

i already take ocr as ict instead of gcse and really don't like the exam board the mark schemes are so messed up are they for other subjects?

Sorry about the rather late reply.
I only do psychology with OCR. The mark schemes for that are pretty messed up too.
I've asked around friends/relatives/TSR who do subjects with OCR and found that the exam board is generally quite ****e (apart from OCR biology apparently that's not too bad)

So my advice is just to never look at the help stuff given by OCR via their website (powerpoints and stuff) - it will make you cry.

Rules when revising using OCR textbooks -

1. If any of the information appears strange/different to what you have been told or have learnt before, research it straight away, as 9 times out of 10, it is wrong.

2. Things tend to be worded stupidly in their books. If anything seems to not 'sense make', write it out and decipher what it means - it can be a long process, but it is worth it.

3. Throw the book away, set fire to it, just make sure you never look at it again.
Just use the internet for revision.

Your teachers will know how bad OCR is (poor sods have had to teach it for ages on end) so they will give you plenty of *correct* revision aids if you ask.

Just don't worry, they're an awful exam board, but it's easy to get a good grade in, if you work hard. Just like any other exam board, really.
Reply 6
Original post by Laurenjoys
Sorry about the rather late reply.
I only do psychology with OCR. The mark schemes for that are pretty messed up too.
I've asked around friends/relatives/TSR who do subjects with OCR and found that the exam board is generally quite ****e (apart from OCR biology apparently that's not too bad)

So my advice is just to never look at the help stuff given by OCR via their website (powerpoints and stuff) - it will make you cry.

Rules when revising using OCR textbooks -

1. If any of the information appears strange/different to what you have been told or have learnt before, research it straight away, as 9 times out of 10, it is wrong.

2. Things tend to be worded stupidly in their books. If anything seems to not 'sense make', write it out and decipher what it means - it can be a long process, but it is worth it.

3. Throw the book away, set fire to it, just make sure you never look at it again.
Just use the internet for revision.

Your teachers will know how bad OCR is (poor sods have had to teach it for ages on end) so they will give you plenty of *correct* revision aids if you ask.

Just don't worry, they're an awful exam board, but it's easy to get a good grade in, if you work hard. Just like any other exam board, really.

lol thanks for the reply yeah i found the internet is the best place for revision stuff the books waffle too much

Quick Reply

Latest