The Student Room Group

AQA A2 HISTORY: The Triumph of Elizabeth, 1547-1603 Offical Thread. 2nd June 2014.

Scroll to see replies

Yeah estock,
Realised that too late. Finally got on.
I feel so stupid right now though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chananigans
you say there is a lot to talk about with france, what would you bring up?

If France came up, you would talk about how they helped the scots during somersets suzerainty, how Mary was at war with them and this led Elizabeth to cataue-cambresis, and then about 1562 massacre at valley of Guise which led to intervention and how they turned on her which resulted to Troyes, then this led her to 'burn her fingers' and not want to intervene elsewhere, also about MQS being queen and how that affected Scotland's policy through Guise influence and then about blois but use St Barts day to counteract this which shows her desperation to pursue a 'Spanish defence league' and how Henry III was reluctant to renew in 74 which led to Anjou marriage negotiations in 79 and furthering this his disasterous mission in Netherlands (could even mention leicester following this?) and then about Henry Navarre succeeding the throne and her policies seemed to align until he wanted intervention despite victory at Brittany and how he eventually turned Catholic because 'Paris deserves a mass' so ultimately despite a thaw in relations, France realtions are still not successful
Original post by csmith95
If France came up, you would talk about how they helped the scots during somersets suzerainty, how Mary was at war with them and this led Elizabeth to cataue-cambresis, and then about 1562 massacre at valley of Guise which led to intervention and how they turned on her which resulted to Troyes, then this led her to 'burn her fingers' and not want to intervene elsewhere, also about MQS being queen and how that affected Scotland's policy through Guise influence and then about blois but use St Barts day to counteract this which shows her desperation to pursue a 'Spanish defence league' and how Henry III was reluctant to renew in 74 which led to Anjou marriage negotiations in 79 and furthering this his disasterous mission in Netherlands (could even mention leicester following this?) and then about Henry Navarre succeeding the throne and her policies seemed to align until he wanted intervention despite victory at Brittany and how he eventually turned Catholic because 'Paris deserves a mass' so ultimately despite a thaw in relations, France realtions are still not successful

I swear I haven't been taught half of this but hey! I know some of it :smile: thank you!!
Reply 183
Original post by csmith95

I do hope France comes up. But can they be too kind?
Well they asked virtually the same question two years running about Spain just with a slightly different focus because the head examiner was ill so they just revived his question... So here's hoping!
Original post by bkw321
Puritanism and especially Presbyterianism started dying out didn't it? The leading puritan sympathisers at court such as Walsingham and Leicester started dying out, and the religious predicament/unity by the end of her reign shows clearly that Puritanism's growing influence had long passed. Like god knows how many years past!

The only thing I can think of that could be interpretted as the rise of puritanism are the protestant councillors appointed in the 1570's: Mildmay, Sadler, Smith, Sidney etc but I don't necessarily know if they were puritans?
Maybe a question on Ireland since there is a lot on in the AQA book but it has never been set?
Kind of gutted that religion spanning from Edward's reign to half way through Elizabeth's reign was on last year, it would have been one of my ideal questions :frown:
Reply 188
The more I watch this thread the more unprepared I feel

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 189
Original post by bazinga123!
Kind of gutted that religion spanning from Edward's reign to half way through Elizabeth's reign was on last year, it would have been one of my ideal questions :frown:

Last years lot got off easy.
Hey guys, can someone explain to me what the Archpriest Controversy is and its significance?
Original post by bkw321
Last years lot got off easy.

Yep they did! Makes me worry about what this years exam has in store for us..
Looking at the last 4 papers they all appear to have a Mid-tudor crisis question in them- or certainly the dates!

‘In the years 1547 to 1558 English government was at its most effective during the rule
of Mary I.’
How valid is this assessment? (June 2010)

‘The rebellions which occurred during the reigns of Edward VI and Mary I were mainly
political in origin.’
Assess the validity of this view. (June 2011)

To what extent did royal authority decline in the years 1547 to 1558? (June 2012)

‘Tudor monarchs experienced more failures than successes in dealing with religion in
England in the years 1547 to 1587.’
Assess the validity of this view. (June 2013)

So I presume this means we'll get a mid-Tudor crisis question? I do not like the look of that last question but I suppose that's because I need to review Elizabeth's religious policies.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by knighty437
Looking at the last 4 papers they all appear to have a Mid-tudor crisis question in them- or certainly the dates!

‘In the years 1547 to 1558 English government was at its most effective during the rule
of Mary I.’
How valid is this assessment? (June 2010)

‘The rebellions which occurred during the reigns of Edward VI and Mary I were mainly
political in origin.’
Assess the validity of this view. (June 2011)

To what extent did royal authority decline in the years 1547 to 1558? (June 2012)

‘Tudor monarchs experienced more failures than successes in dealing with religion in
England in the years 1547 to 1587.’
Assess the validity of this view. (June 2013)

So I presume this means we'll get a mid-Tudor crisis question? I do not like the look of that question but I suppose that's because I need to review Elizabeth's religious policies.

Yeah, whether it spans all 3 reigns again is unclear. Hoping it is just Edward and Mary though! I was like that at first, i was horrified at that question. Once you review Elizabeths religious policies the question is so nice haha!
Reply 194
Could someone please tell me what the Puritan challenge consisted of?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 195
Original post by lorrieeista
Hey guys, can someone explain to me what the Archpriest Controversy is and its significance?

The Archpriest controversy was in 1598 and was a debate that followed the appointment of an Archpriest William Blackwell by the pope. The Archpriest was to have authority over all secular clergy (Jesuits and Seminary Priests) in England. However some Seminary priests refused his authority because they felt he favoured the jesuits and appealed to Rome for his removal. It basically showed the divisions between jesuits and seminary priests and can be argued as one of the reasons catholicism was not a threat at this time because they could not work together and restore Catholicism
Hey everyone. Can't believe I've only just found this thread!

Any predictions for what might come up on Monday? I've reviewed all of the past papers and there is no set pattern or anything, although last year was the only year that a specific Mid-Tudor Crisis topic Q didn't appear so I'm thinking it will this year. Also there hasn't been much on the internal Catholic/Puritan threats whereas FP with Spain has featured heavily in the last two papers.
Original post by embaker
The Archpriest controversy was in 1598 and was a debate that followed the appointment of an Archpriest William Blackwell by the pope. The Archpriest was to have authority over all secular clergy (Jesuits and Seminary Priests) in England. However some Seminary priests refused his authority because they felt he favoured the jesuits and appealed to Rome for his removal. It basically showed the divisions between jesuits and seminary priests and can be argued as one of the reasons catholicism was not a threat at this time because they could not work together and restore Catholicism

Thank you 😄 :smile:
Also, some of the PPQs look ridiculously good whilst others I genuinely would have struggled with. Got the content pretty much nailed down now so I'm a bit beside myself on what to do. I will review everything on Sunday but otherwise might attempt writing another response to get myself in the right mindset.
Original post by schoolie33
can someone please write a little paragraph suggesting that factional rivalry existed between Leicester and Cecil at the start of Mary's reign, and, with examples, please explain WHY this threatened her position?
I'm really struggling here on understanding this.

Do you mean Elizabeth's reign? I know Cecil was in government pretty much from 1547 until his death but I've never heard about Leicester being in the PC under Mary...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending