The Student Room Group

Everyone thinks me being pharmacist means im a failed doctor/dentist

Everyone who is studying pharmacy who I speak to is a failed medicine or dentistry applicant who couldn't get AAA. Being a doctor or dentist means you are at the top of society but people dont see pharmacy the same. Dentistry and medicine is sooo hard to get into but pharmacy is really easy and I dont know why because pharmacy is a v hard degree. Every kid in my culture wants to be doctor or dentist and they see pharmacy as a back up - its so depressing. Also i know I will never be as well respected and ill never earn as much money I might not even get a job with all that im hearing.... I dont know why they dont make pharmacy AAA too and why they dont stop letting all these medicine and dentistry applicants put pharmacy as a 5th choice and why dont pharmacy applicants have to send their ucas application at the same time as dentistry and medicine? we are just second to them:mad:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Everyone who is studying pharmacy who I speak to is a failed medicine or dentistry applicant who couldn't get AAA. Being a doctor or dentist means you are at the top of society but people dont see pharmacy the same. Dentistry and medicine is sooo hard to get into but pharmacy is really easy and I dont know why because pharmacy is a v hard degree. Every kid in my culture wants to be doctor or dentist and they see pharmacy as a back up - its so depressing. Also i know I will never be as well respected and ill never earn as much money I might not even get a job with all that im hearing.... I dont know why they dont make pharmacy AAA too and why they dont stop letting all these medicine and dentistry applicants put pharmacy as a 5th choice and why dont pharmacy applicants have to send their ucas application at the same time as dentistry and medicine? we are just second to them :frown: Its been getting me really down. (a lot of people know my tsr name so i made it anonymous)
Reply 2
There's plenty of other degrees which are as difficult as medicine and dentistry but aren't as highly regarded. There's a lot more than just academia to medicine but less of these skills are needed in pharmacy.

Medicine and Dentistry are more competitive due to the limited places available as the numbers are set by the government.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by StarBar
There's plenty of other degrees which are as difficult as medicine and dentistry but aren't as highly regarded. There's a lot more than just academia to medicine but less of these skills are needed in pharmacy.

Medicine and Dentistry are more competitive due to the limited places available as the numbers are set by the government.

Posted from TSR Mobile

why dont they limit the numbers of pharmacy too? theres too many pharmacists and a lot of people cant get jobs. Its not like a history degree which you can go into anything
Everyone who is studying pharmacy who I speak to is a failed medicine or dentistry applicant who couldn't get AAA. Being a doctor or dentist means you are at the top of society but people dont see pharmacy the same. Dentistry and medicine is sooo hard to get into but pharmacy is really easy and I dont know why because pharmacy is a v hard degree. Every kid in my culture wants to be doctor or dentist and they see pharmacy as a back up - its so depressing. Also i know I will never be as well respected and ill never earn as much money I might not even get a job with all that im hearing.... I dont know why they dont make pharmacy AAA too and why they dont stop letting all these medicine and dentistry applicants put pharmacy as a 5th choice and why dont pharmacy applicants have to send their ucas application at the same time as dentistry and medicine? we are just second to them:mad:

I just want to say: I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!!!!!

I did zoology and everyone now thinks I'm a failed vet.

I couldn't agree more - I've been thinking this since I started pharmacy. Its sooooo infuriating! :angry: I really think they should stop allowing pharmacy to be a back up choice for medics/dentists that fail - there are many perfectly legitimate reasons to choose pharmacy over medicine, not just because you couldn't do medicine! Like me - I had the grades to do medicine - in fact my grades are actually better than some people I know who do medicine now! But I picked pharmacy because I'm squeamish and I don't want the level of patient contact doctors have (and dentistry, just ew) - and then I meet medics who put themselves above me just because they do medicine! Its an outdated and very annoying thing!
Reply 6
Imagine what it's like for biomedical sciences... :eek:

Studying pharmacy doesn't make you a failed doctor, but if you're taking it because it's easier to get into than medicine then well... but that doesn't sound like what you're doing. If your doing it because you like it then who cares? Otherwise every STEM degree is a failed medicine degree, and that's sad.
Reply 7
Original post by redferry
I just want to say: I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!!!!!

I did zoology and everyone now thinks I'm a failed vet.

It sucks right... i mean even at uni dentals and medics get the best student events and their own balls. Pharmacists dont get any of that.. I come from a family where if you dont do medicine or dentistry then you do pharmacy - i wish i did something else
Reply 8
Original post by lenaspark
I couldn't agree more - I've been thinking this since I started pharmacy. Its sooooo infuriating! :angry: I really think they should stop allowing pharmacy to be a back up choice for medics/dentists that fail - there are many perfectly legitimate reasons to choose pharmacy over medicine, not just because you couldn't do medicine! Like me - I had the grades to do medicine - in fact my grades are actually better than some people I know who do medicine now! But I picked pharmacy because I'm squeamish and I don't want the level of patient contact doctors have (and dentistry, just ew) - and then I meet medics who put themselves above me just because they do medicine! Its an outdated and very annoying thing!

But you can see why people say it... EVERY medical/dental course is 3As, you need UKCAT and you have to send your application before everyone else and you can only apply to 4 unis... the schools are so competitive and unis cant just open new schools but for pharmacy they can and they cant put whatever entry requirements they want... I know a dentist who graduated 7 years ago and just bought a 500k house... what pharmacist can ever do that?
Reply 9
Original post by lerjj
Imagine what it's like for biomedical sciences... :eek:

Studying pharmacy doesn't make you a failed doctor, but if you're taking it because it's easier to get into than medicine then well... but that doesn't sound like what you're doing. If your doing it because you like it then who cares? Otherwise every STEM degree is a failed medicine degree, and that's sad.

I didnt get the grades for med/dent but i actually wanted to do pharmacy anyway. I like the job but its no where near as well respect/ well paid as medicine/dentistry which kinda sucks
Original post by Arithmeticae
Are you Asian by any chance?

ofc lol...
Reply 11
I didnt get the grades for med/dent but i actually wanted to do pharmacy anyway. I like the job but its no where near as well respect/ well paid as medicine/dentistry which kinda sucks

It does, but screw them. It's still respected (in comparison to a lot of jobs) so as long as you don't view yourself as a failed doctor then you're good to go! Just enjoy it if its what you want to do!

Seriously, pharmacist is quite a good job, if you like it then it's a great job I'm sure. Why care what other people think?
It's not our fault there is a rule we can only apply to 4 dental or medical schools. We have to put a 5th choice for something and most people see pharmacy as at least a reasonably stable career in the event they cant be a doctor/dentist, and it is still a part of the medicine and healthcare realm. Chemical Engineering was my backup not Pharmacy so not all of us choose it (or biomed) as a default but most people just cba to bother thinking about their 5th choice so put it down without much further insight. And it won't be AAA because it simply isn't nearly as hard a degree
Original post by lerjj
It does, but screw them. It's still respected (in comparison to a lot of jobs) so as long as you don't view yourself as a failed doctor then you're good to go! Just enjoy it if its what you want to do!

Seriously, pharmacist is quite a good job, if you like it then it's a great job I'm sure. Why care what other people think?

In asian culture what other people think is a huge thing... Whenever we meet asian people and they talk about their kids/family the first thing they mention is 'my son is studying dentistry' even if their other son is studying pharmacy
It sucks right... i mean even at uni dentals and medics get the best student events and their own balls. Pharmacists dont get any of that.. I come from a family where if you dont do medicine or dentistry then you do pharmacy - i wish i did something else

Why did you do pharmacy? I always wanted to do zoology and never wanted to be a vet so it grates especially hard.
BTW you should go to America. Pharmacists make bank there
Original post by redferry
Why did you do pharmacy? I always wanted to do zoology and never wanted to be a vet so it grates especially hard.

I liked chemistry a lot in school and I was really interested in drugs and how they affect people - but I wanted to study a degree that would give me a job at the end of it too so i chose pharmacy. But now i know its going to be very hard to get a pharmacy job and even if i do its basically a shop assistant...
I thought as much.

What's wrong with being a pharmacist? It's a perfectly good job that still involves helping people and can hardly be classed as an 'easy' degree, and if you like it there's no problem.

If the only reason you did it was cos you thought medicine would be too hard, well that's a different story.

You wont understand unless youre asian. You think medicine and dentistry is prestigious in the UK? you have no idea what its like where i am from...
I liked chemistry a lot in school and I was really interested in drugs and how they affect people - but I wanted to study a degree that would give me a job at the end of it too so i chose pharmacy. But now i know its going to be very hard to get a pharmacy job and even if i do its basically a shop assistant...

Why don't you go I to research? I did a masters and now have a place on a PhD :smile: Pharmactpy sets you up for plenty of jobs. More so than zoology and people I know who did my undergraduate are doing fine :smile:
I am Asian :/

I know how it is (probably not to the same extent as you, but still...) and sometimes I feel pressured to go into Medicine as well but ultimately, you've got to realise it's your life and you can do whatever you want to.

Pharmacy doesn't mean you're a failed doctor, just that you have different interests to someone who wants to be a doctor.

I just keep thinking about a day in the future where im sat on a table of doctors and dentists and they're calling each other dr. and theyre talking about the procedures and patients they've had... Me on the other hand i can only say if the shop was busy today...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending