The Student Room Group

AQA A2 HISTORY: The Triumph of Elizabeth, 1547-1603 Offical Thread. 2nd June 2014.

Scroll to see replies

how likely do you guys think there will be a question focusing on Ireland or financial policies?
Original post by lorrieeista
how likely do you guys think there will be a question focusing on Ireland or financial policies?

I would be surprised if there was anything on financial policies, largely because they are only covered briefly in the spec - a bit under Somerset, Northumberland and Mary - which rules out a specific question and there's nothing really on Elizabeth financially so that also rules out a synoptic question.

Ireland is more likely, although I'm not sure they'd ask a Q purely on it. Instead, maybe something like successes of Elizabeth's foreign policy during the last decade, which ofc includes Ireland.
Reply 202
Surely there's not enough on Ireland to write 45 marks on? I can only think that it would be used in a question on the decline of authority or rebellion?
What does decline in authority mean?
Reply 204
Original post by FringeGal
What does decline in authority mean?

The post-Armada years :smile:
Original post by annmcc
The post-Armada years :smile:

Explain I don't get it >.>

Does it mean was her country safe?

It means how much did her power reduce - generally applied to the 1590s. She's seen as not as strong of a monarch in this period (undermined by factions, loss of popularity, parliament relations)
Reply 207

No, it means her royal authority declined. The years after the armada are often referred to as her 'second reign' (quote from Adams) because it was so different to before. Dudley (1588), Knollys (1596), Mildmay (1589) and Burghley (1598) all died in quick succession and she replaced them with their sons who were pretty crap (she liked a small cohesive court so was reluctant to replace them-government became ineffective and the men acted childishly e.g. Essex sulking in 1597 court because she didn't give him the patronage he wanted), she had money problems due to war with Spain so had to borrow from Financiers such as Horatio Palavacino although she tried not to borrow money, poor harvests, monopolies crisis, rebellions e.g. Essex and Ireland (which cost £320k so exacerbated money problems), Essex and Robert Cecil clashing, she aged so couldn't flirt anymore/bear children

Although there were good points e.g. Golden Speech in response to monopolies crisis, and she was only £350k in debt at the end of her reign which meant she had only added £123k to the existing debt from Mary. Considering the length of her reign this is not too bad.

It is generally accepted that her royal authority declined after 1588. Though of course you can argue both ways.

This is a quick summary I'm sure there's a lot more you can add. :smile:
Original post by lorrieeista

I don't think there'd ever be a question totally focused on finance; finance would simply be evidence of how efficient government was or something.

There is pretty much a historical consensus that the authority of Elizabeth declined in the last decade of her reign. You can basically replace 'Elizabeth' with British government, and there are several factors that explain and/or demonstrate it.

- Elizabeth was an ageing woman, link to misogyny at the time (even in the PC)
- Decline in the quality of govt. Burghley becoming less involved; deaths of Leicester and Walsingham in 1588 and 1590 respectively and were replaced by less competent ministers
- Factionalism really took hold in the 1590s esp. revolving around Cecil v Essex factions, culminating in Essex rebellion 1601
- Parliament really clashes with Liz in 1598 and 1601 over monopolies, this also links to decline in E's authority and quality of govt. as Cecil used to manage Parliament through his men of business e.g Norton

Although it also links more widely to problems in the last decade also, such as:

- Dire social situation, Oxfordshire rebellion in 1596. Guy described it as 'the nasty 90s'.
- Meagre success in terms of foreign policy towards Spain as many of the maritime expeditions either failed miserably or showed that Elizabeth couldn't control her ministers e.g Essex

Hope that helps.
In terms of France coming up for foreign policy, I was hoping somebody could clarify the situation with Henry of Navarre (IV).

The AQA textbook is crap on foreign policy generally and especially late France so I'm basically relying on my lesson notes. As I understand it, Henry of Navarre was a Huguenot until 1583, whereupon he (re)converted to Catholicism? However, upon his accession he grants Huguenot toleration and Elizabeth supports him in asserting authority over the Catholic League and sends two forces in 1590 to help defend against a potential Spanish invasion of France.

Can anyone add to or clarify this, please? Thanks.
Thank you, I finally understand now! Love you all and good luck in the exam! :smile:)
Original post by Endless Blue
In terms of France coming up for foreign policy, I was hoping somebody could clarify the situation with Henry of Navarre (IV).

The AQA textbook is crap on foreign policy generally and especially late France so I'm basically relying on my lesson notes. As I understand it, Henry of Navarre was a Huguenot until 1583, whereupon he (re)converted to Catholicism? However, upon his accession he grants Huguenot toleration and Elizabeth supports him in asserting authority over the Catholic League and sends two forces in 1590 to help defend against a potential Spanish invasion of France.

Can anyone add to or clarify this, please? Thanks.

I think Henry IV was a Huguenot until 1593 (don't know whether that was just a typo!). He came to the throne in 1589 but was forced to the south of France by the Catholic league + some Spanish troops. Elizabeth sent 3600 troops, they won some victories e.g. the Battle of Ivry in 1590 despite Parma sending troops to reinforce the Catholic League (and this meant fewer troops in the Netherlands so gains for the Dutch rebels). Elizabeth sent more troops in late 1590 but Henry was unable to control Paris until 1593 when he converted to Catholicism. The Edict of Nantes in 1598 granted religious toleration to Huguenots, which effectively ended the Wars of Religion.

Hope this helps!
Original post by iheartdjokovic
I think Henry IV was a Huguenot until 1593 (don't know whether that was just a typo!). He came to the throne in 1589 but was forced to the south of France by the Catholic league + some Spanish troops. Elizabeth sent 3600 troops, they won some victories e.g. the Battle of Ivry in 1590 despite Parma sending troops to reinforce the Catholic League (and this meant fewer troops in the Netherlands so gains for the Dutch rebels). Elizabeth sent more troops in late 1590 but Henry was unable to control Paris until 1593 when he converted to Catholicism. The Edict of Nantes in 1598 granted religious toleration to Huguenots, which effectively ended the Wars of Religion.

Hope this helps!

Wow, thanks so much for this! No, our notes said 1583 but I think my teacher just made an accidental mistake as at the time I remember thinking it completely contradicted the fact that Henry of Navarre was a Huguenot heir which worried the Catholic League.
Original post by Endless Blue
Wow, thanks so much for this! No, our notes said 1583 but I think my teacher just made an accidental mistake as at the time I remember thinking it completely contradicted the fact that Henry of Navarre was a Huguenot heir which worried the Catholic League.

You're welcome, literally just been revising it!
Reply 215
If Ireland comes up, it'll be in the context of her decline in authority. But i seriously don't see it coming up by itself.
Original post by bkw321
If Ireland comes up, it'll be in the context of her decline in authority. But i seriously don't see it coming up by itself.

Neither do I, Its way too limited a topic to write a 45 mark essay on.

I was wanting to know from people on the forum though in terms of thematic classification would you include Ireland in foriegn policy, social discontent or have it as a paragraph by itself?
Original post by JJXX212
Neither do I, Its way too limited a topic to write a 45 mark essay on.

I was wanting to know from people on the forum though in terms of thematic classification would you include Ireland in foriegn policy, social discontent or have it as a paragraph by itself?

I think foreign policy or rebellions possibly, depending on the question.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've just been doing a past paper and realised I have not even practiced doing a synoptic question (the question that covers the whole course), the thought of doing it freaks me out for some reason D:

I wanted to know if anyone could share how you would structure it, as opposed to the depth questions

thanks in advance! :smile:
I've just been doing a past paper and realised I have not even practiced doing a synoptic question (the question that covers the whole course), the thought of doing it freaks me out for some reason D:

I wanted to know if anyone could share how you would structure it, as opposed to the depth questions

thanks in advance! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending