The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Peggles_*
I'd want someone who can now take us forward, rather than having to deal with another 'transitional' period. Other teams won't stand still, while we improve so will they, it's just about having the most improvement out of the teams you competing against, so we may just break 80+ points, but others will break 90+. Arsene has set incredibly high standards for himself previously so when he doesn't met those, it is automatically failure.

Like I said, it didn't appear overnight. How many seasons before have he had the likes of Peter Hill Wood, Gazidis and Wenger himself saying there is money to spend on WC players, yet we go for the bargain bin option? Chamakh, Gervinho, Santos, Park? Those were not and will never be Arsenal quality. Arsene had final say on those players. If he placed his money elsewhere and was global rather than focusing his efforts into a French League which isn't what it once was and will only get worse with the likes of PSG and Monaco.

Yes, he has, but Arsene isn't the only manager to coach players into being WC and he won't be the last. Along with coaching the likes of Ramsey and Koscielny into being proper players, he could have made additions to the squad to push us on.

I'm not doubting his commitment to the club and for all of my moaning about Wenger, I will be eternally grateful for what he has done for the club, but he has to show that he can go out there and buy the calibre of player we need to win consistently, not just the occasional cup. Can he do that? I'm not entirely sure.

Let's not ignore the fact that he hasn't won the CL before (inb4 15 minutes away, I am aware) or the league for the last 10 years.

Struggling to pass a Hull team who were here on holiday (let's be frank!) and watch our team crumble before our very eyes and finish 4th is enough isn't enough to warrant a new deal imo.

No one is breaking 90 points any time soon, the league is way way way too competitive for that any more.
is Peggles the Ebocurm(sp?) of the arsenal thread?
Dream signing for me would be Benzema, very unlikely though. But hey Wenger signed Ozil out of nowhere...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Er....we have the money now. We can't spend as big as Chelsea/city, but few other clubs can. But we can buy in an Ozil type player or two every season now, and we only need a top striker and replacements at centre-back, GK and right-back and we're set.

And we did crumble, but whoever says we lack mental strength/the *******s needs to see the Final a couple of weeks ago...how did we not have the *******s then? haha..
Given our injury record this year and assuming we buy a striker and a DM (Arteta was a problem this year as was only having olly g up front) I believe we can only be MORE competitive next year than we were this year.

And seeing as this year we won the FA cup and finished 7pts off the top, to be MORE competitive is gonna mean a good season.
Original post by fallen_acorns

She ain't that crazy. Eboracum's already calling for Van Gaal's head because we haven't signed anyone :rofl:
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Eboracum's already calling for Van Gaal's head because we haven't signed anyone :rofl:

Wat :rofl::rofl::rofl:
Original post by Kenan and Kel
She ain't that crazy. Eboracum's already calling for Van Gaal's head because we haven't signed anyone :rofl:

I take it back.. no one can rival him. :biggrin:

I resent that! :colone: But seriously, I would only assume that would mean the one who actually has some damn sense up in this place!!!

Nothing I have said is wrong, I just refuse to buy into this Wenger love-in which I see a lot from people on this thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by carlisomes
Er....we have the money now. We can't spend as big as Chelsea/city, but few other clubs can. But we can buy in an Ozil type player or two every season now, and we only need a top striker and replacements at centre-back, GK and right-back and we're set.

And we did crumble, but whoever says we lack mental strength/the *******s needs to see the Final a couple of weeks ago...how did we not have the *******s then? haha..

We also need a DM and a proper winger. One of the main reasons we got thumped away from home was having Arteta as a DM is essentially like playing with 10 men. He offers no protected for the back four and is constantly caught wanting when it really matters.

As for the whole mental strength thing, it still applies. We were massively helped by the fact that;
Hull scored too early, they probably would have hoped for a 0-0 at 70 minutes and then push on for a late winner
They also **** themselves. They didn't expect to be 2-0 up after 10 minutes, neither did we tbh!
They were gone by the 80th minute, tired legs, tired minds.
I resent that!

Nothing I have said is wrong!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ebocarum never thought what he said was wrong either

Arguably neither of you are..

After all, he was shown to be 100% correct about moyes..

Maybe you are about wenger..

I disagree.. but who knows
Ebocarum never thought what he said was wrong either

Arguably neither of you are..

After all, he was shown to be 100% correct about moyes..

Maybe you are about wenger..

I disagree.. but who knows

I would like to be surprised by Wenger, but I just don't see it!
We also need a DM and a proper winger. One of the main reasons we got thumped away from home was having Arteta as a DM is essentially like playing with 10 men. He offers no protected for the back four and is constantly caught wanting when it really matters.

As for the whole mental strength thing, it still applies. We were massively helped by the fact that;
Hull scored too early, they probably would have hoped for a 0-0 at 70 minutes and then push on for a late winner
They also **** themselves. They didn't expect to be 2-0 up after 10 minutes, neither did we tbh!
They were gone by the 80th minute, tired legs, tired minds.

But we held our nerve to come back, which we wouldn't have done in past seasons.
Original post by Zürich
Spurs are actually a promising little team. Easy to mock players like Lamela but he could easily take off next season and look like a £30m player, the youve got Eriksen, Capoue, Dembele etc and they have a proper midfield. Top GK, decent CBs as well so they really need just wing backs and Adebayor to play to potential for them to be right up there. Dont really rate Pochettino though, at all.

Van Gaal could well be a disaster. Many Utd fans have convinced themselves that the problem this year was Moyes and that a few transfers will get them back where they were when they need about 7 first team players to do that. That and the fact Van Gaal is a nutcase who alienates everyone around him given enough time. :biggrin:

Lul at 7

4 at most
Original post by manchesterunited15
Lul at 7

4 at most

I'd say 4 at minimum. Your defence has been decimated by retirements/leaving players/inadequate players/injuries this season. You need 2/3 first team players there alone.

I'd say you need a new CM or two, a winger, a CB or two and a LB/RB. At minimum.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by AR_95
Wat :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I take it back.. no one can rival him. :biggrin:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2662758&page=119
Original post by Pete_91
I'd say 4 at minimum. You're defence has been decimated by retirements/leaving players/inadequate players/injuries this season. You need 2/3 first team players there alone.

I'd say you need a new CM or two, a winger, a CB or two and a LB/RB. At minimum.

He said first team though. De Gea, Mata, Rooney and RVP are definitely good enough (even if one is slightly out of position). Carrick is good enough for another year. Evans is competent when alongside an experienced CB and Rafael has shown he's good enough and will improve.

So that's

De Gea
Rafael CB Evans LB
Carrick CM
Winger Mata Rooney
RVP

And we could get away with playing Januzaj/Nani on that wing, so it's 3 or 4 first teamers. I agree we need maybe 2 more for depth, although the youngsters could provide that.

I still lol at "Van Gaal was the wrong choice. He's done nothing for this club" after being in the job about 3 days :lol:
Original post by manchesterunited15
I still lol at "Van Gaal was the wrong choice. He's done nothing for this club" after being in the job about 3 days :lol:

I'm still fairly certain he's a troll and if so, it is very good trolling tbf

Latest