The Student Room Group

As & a2 geology help?

I will be doing A-Level Geology this year and my exam board is OCR.

An easy subject?

I'm doing Physics, Maths, Further Maths and French AS.

As much Advice as possible please<3

An interesting subject?
Reply 1
Bump
Reply 2
Bump pls soneonesomeonsomeonsomeone
I do geology and I love it (though I study with wjec)
I think it's pretty easy as far as the sciences go, but I dedicate myself wholeheartedly to it. As with any subject, if you're not interested then you're unlikely to apply yourself and do well, easy or not.
I have the OCR textbook, and they do a similar course. It's an incredibly interesting, relevant subject and you'll enjoy it if that sort of stuff interests you already.
Reply 4
Original post by Katie Gurney
I do geology and I love it (though I study with wjec)
I think it's pretty easy as far as the sciences go, but I dedicate myself wholeheartedly to it. As with any subject, if you're not interested then you're unlikely to apply yourself and do well, easy or not.
I have the OCR textbook, and they do a similar course. It's an incredibly interesting, relevant subject and you'll enjoy it if that sort of stuff interests you already.

Yeah thanks are you in AS/A2? What subjects you doing alongside?
A2, I have my last exams in the next few days. I also do Geography and Maths, and attempted chemistry last year. What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
A2, I have my last exams in the next few days. I also do Geography and Maths, and attempted chemistry last year. What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I'm going to AS and I'm doing Geology, Maths, Further Maths, Physics. What do you wish to do in Uni? And what did you get at AS? I'm figuring out whether it's an relatively easy subject as Further Maths will take up my time.
I'm doing Geology at Leeds (hopefully)
At AS I got AAE, the E in maths. I need ABB for uni. Good luck with the further! Any idea what you're hoping to get at the end of a-levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I'm doing Geology at Leeds (hopefully)
At AS I got AAE, the E in maths. I need ABB for uni. Good luck with the further! Any idea what you're hoping to get at the end of a-levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They're good grades, should get A*/A in both Geo's. Also Geology is very broad at A-Level (Planetary Geology). Was Maths hard? And how will you get a B? And I hope to do (Petroleum) Engineering, related to Geology a litlle.
Thank you! I'm retaking 2 modules, and in revising much better this year, B should be alright! Maths is hard, it definitely doesn't come easy to me.
You can do engineering geology at uni and take a petroleum pathway within it; that'll be a desirable and efficient pathway to take!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey I'm doing the same subjects except french (did a chemistry AS, hated it.)
I've personally enjoyed all of them, went into geology (OCR too) without a geography or geology gcse and managed to pick it up quite easily. There's a fair chunk of petroleum geology in the A2 along with a lot of interesting topics, granted that the fossils can get a bit long in the tooth at times... I'll be doing aerospace engineering next year, so alas I shant be taking Geology any further (though I was pretty close to choosing Civil Engineering)
Currently cramming for the Engineering paper, and though it's probably not what I'd like to be doing with my time currently, I definitely dont regret taking it :smile: (though the field trips are sh*t. Prepare yourself for that, mentally and phsically)
Geology is cool, different, and at moment really underated, probably because people rarely have it in GCSE's....

You learn about the natural processes in Earth and extraterrestrial too... Have to admit that I found it a bit boring at first, but then saw it's really good, there's a lot that you can do with it and overlaps with topics from biology, chemistry, physics, geography, etc....

Quick Reply

Latest