The Student Room Group

Is it doable?

Hello everyone,

Since I kind of suck at Maths and I might not be able to get too much of a presentable grade in it, I was considering doing (self-taught) Government & Politics next year as a backup since it's anyways something I want to study along with Economics at University.

But here is the deal, I just finished my AS exams and I would seek to do the whole AS and A2 Government & Politics A-Level (Edexcel) next year in one go.

I would start already in July as to gain a head start and I am doing pretty well already in History and Economics which are essay based subjects.

But is it possible in a single year? Has anyone on here done it before on their own?

For the A2 part I would be doing 'The representative process in the USA' and 'Governing the USA' as I already know a lot of about US politics.

If anyone could share some past experiences or give some advice, that would be really helpful and appreciated!

Thank you for your time and help in advance!
Reply 1
if you're only doing this + 2 other subjects next year then you should be able to handle it
Reply 2
This year I've been doing Government & Politics all in one year, AS and A2 but the AQA modules. I've done this alongside my 3 other subjects (English Lit, Law & Sociology) but I haven't done it self taught. You probably could self teach it, to be honest I haven't used any of my notes from class for the 2 Politics exams I've done so far and won't for my other 2 as I prefer the textbooks, but I still think it helps to have the lessons just to get your base knowledge (also the debates you have are brilliant.) It has been hard for me doing 5 subjects, but the Politics itself has actually been the easist bit. If you're good at essay subjects its's a very very easy subject to do, in my opinion.

The only problem I have had with it is the strain it has put on my other subjects, giving me less time to work on them and an extra 4 exams to deal with. But with you only doing an extra 2 subjects, as opposed to my extra 3, you should be fine. For me, personally, it's an easy subject to bag an A or A* in, which is helpful for me as I need 3 A's for my Uni. I'm doing Politics at University, which is the main reason I chose to do it all in one go this year. The head of Politics was my Sociology last year and really got me into it so I decided to do the A Level and do it at Uni. I don't regret it, just wish I had worked a bit harder for my other subjects. But I would reccommend it to you, yes.
Reply 3
Original post by Jemy
Hello everyone,

Since I kind of suck at Maths and I might not be able to get too much of a presentable grade in it, I was considering doing (self-taught) Government & Politics next year as a backup since it's anyways something I want to study along with Economics at University.

But here is the deal, I just finished my AS exams and I would seek to do the whole AS and A2 Government & Politics A-Level (Edexcel) next year in one go.

I would start already in July as to gain a head start and I am doing pretty well already in History and Economics which are essay based subjects.

But is it possible in a single year? Has anyone on here done it before on their own?

For the A2 part I would be doing 'The representative process in the USA' and 'Governing the USA' as I already know a lot of about US politics.

If anyone could share some past experiences or give some advice, that would be really helpful and appreciated!

Thank you for your time and help in advance!

Yes and no.

I would expect you would need maths to do economics at university level. I needed maths to do politics at university, which had no maths in the entire course bar some election stats.

An AS and A2 in one year is a lot of work I would struggle to do it even though I have a degree in the subject. This is because A levels are marked much more strictly and theres no room for creativity or originality.

Take the classes, don't self-teach. You could get by with just an AS, which is what I done to save an extra year of sitting around. Or you could take a foundation degree which will get you into university as well, and its easier.
I would strongly recommend against this. Although the essays are not difficult, there is a huge amount of content that would take away from your other subjects required to reach higher grades.
Reply 5
Yes it is easily doable in my opinion. I have been doing this type if thing this year and if my experience with government and politics is anything to go by I have managed to learn so much of it in such a short amount of time. It cuts away all the **** your teacher procrastinates round and cuts to the point training you for the exam. Id suggest doing ideologies though as they are easier to learn and can take a lot from common sense

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending