The Student Room Group

Making Meat illegal

Most ideological vegetarians are not neccisarily in support of preventing meat eaters from buying and eating meat. It is a rare thing to find one who would support the outright banning of all meat products and production, let alone campaign for it. The obvious reason is that people have a right to have whatever diet they wish.

I however, am not of this mind. I firmly believe the slaughter of animals for food and clothing should be illegal, and I am fully aware of how angry many would be at such a statement.

My reasoning is simple, the animals right to life outweighs peoples desire to eat them.

What are TSRs thoughts on this, and how many people would support me in this?

Scroll to see replies

I understand what you're trying to say (and it makes me feel guilty to eat fish when I read something like this) but to put it simply (and I'm going to sound like a complete and utter knob) I like the taste too much. Simple as.

Also, other animals kill other animals for food, there's no "right to life" in the wild - it just happens. I guess a similar logic applies here. It's predator/prey, only we can now breed our prey to provide us predators with adequate food.

I do agree with sustainable and ethical farming methods though - animal abuse is never justified. It also pisses me of when people waste meat/fish etc. you know some animal had to die for that and you just throw it away like it means nothing. That's really bad IMO.

So therefore I would not support you (and I don't think many TSRians would) but I can see what you're trying to say.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Farm_Ecology
Most ideological vegetarians are not neccisarily in support of preventing meat eaters from buying and eating meat. It is a rare thing to find one who would support the outright banning of all meat products and production, let alone campaign for it. The obvious reason is that people have a right to have whatever diet they wish.

I however, am not of this mind. I firmly believe the slaughter of animals for food and clothing should be illegal, and I am fully aware of how angry many would be at such a statement.

My reasoning is simple, the animals right to life outweighs peoples desire to eat them.

Have ONE strip of bacon and you shall be cured of your vegetarianism :smile:

I don't understand the need for you to force your ideas onto everyone else. If you don't like any meat products then don't use them. Simples. And did you know humans are omnivores?
Reply 4
Original post by vee_wuvshugs
I don't understand the need for you to force your ideas onto everyone else. If you don't like any meat products then don't use them. Simples. And did you know humans are omnivores?

I don't actually agree with the OP, but this is rubbish. Vegetarians believe killing animals is murder, so saying "if you don't like meat products don't use them" is like saying "If you don't like murdering children don't do it, but don't tell me I can't"
As humans we are always going to exploit other animals but most of the time it is humanely done. You could try and fight against the maltreatment of animals when their killed?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gax

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy the taste of meat.

Original post by The_Dragonborn

Also, other animals kill other animals for food, there's no "right to life" in the wild - it just happens. I guess a similar logic applies here. It's predator/prey, only we can now breed our prey to provide us predators with adequate food.

Neither we nor the animals we slaughter are in the wild. But more importantly, by the same logic you could argue we should legalize murder on the basis that animals kill each other.

Original post by vee_wuvshugs

As pointed out by the other user, that's rubbish. Consider that you are forcing your ideas on the animals.
Reply 7

It is not the job of a government to force their own morality onto others. I should be able to do anything that doesn't affect anyone who hasn't consented.

In short: believe whatever you want, but don't force it onto me.
I see where you're coming from but I don't agree as long as its done humanely I don't see the issue, I don't think a no meat diet would be best
I am not really angry at the statement.

I think the statement is obviously stupid.

You can say eating meat is obviously wrong. I don't know why making it illegal would be a remotely sensible option.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by tory88
It is not the job of a government to force their own morality onto others.

That's exactly what the government does. It's what laws are.

Original post by tory88
I should be able to do anything that doesn't affect anyone who hasn't consented.

And I would argue that this should extend to animals too.
Good for you. But it's so outlandish that it's pointless debating because it will never happen. There's no real public support for it and the economic benefits are far too good for too many people.
Reply 12
Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy the taste of meat.

That's what she said. :biggrin:
Slaughter of animals for cloths/shoes is something I would like to object to.

I'm ok with food. It's approved by nature.

Original post by tory88

I hate these sort of statements

What if you are an airhead and too arrogant to acknowledge what's beneficial for you

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by RedArrow

So is Malaria.

Original post by Genocidal
Good for you. But it's so outlandish that it's pointless debating because it will never happen. There's no real public support for it and the economic benefits are far too good for too many people.

Certainly, I can hardly see it ever happening in the near future, especially on a national scale. But I don't believe that renders the debate pointless.

Original post by DorianGrayism

You can say eating meat is obviously wrong. I don't know why making it illegal would be a remotely sensible option.

It would be made illegal so it doesn't happen.
Reply 15

Posted from TSR Mobile

I never understand this attitude. Meat is not necessary in our diets, so if you eat meat you are doing so for the taste. Why is killing something because you like the look of its fur any worse than killing it because you like its taste? Neither are necessary.
ROFL not sure if srs
Original post by Genocidal

Short-term, maybe. Long-term economic drawbacks include enormous environmental impact.
Original post by Gax

cured?? why cured? what's wrong with with being a vegetarian?

Much like the Black Death.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending