The Student Room Group

Blood in diarrhoea... should I be worried?? (explicit!!)

So I woke up this morning feeling really sick and had around 7 episodes of severe vomiting, thinking that yesterday's chippie dinner really turned on me. I started to have diarrhoea and I predict I lost at least a litre and a half of water.

I had a little sleep and the sickness went away but I'm still having a little diarrhoea. I am really dehydrated and any liquid fills me up however I am managing to keep a bit inside me. I have IBS so that's starting to act up so I'm drinking peppermint tea.

About 2 hours ago I started to see strips of blood in my'episodes'. It says online that it could be dehydration but how do I know if it is anything worse? I'm a bit spaced out and I have work later however I had a bug last Sunday so cannot take the day off work. Should I go in and see how it goes or do I need medical attention?!
If the blood is fresh...as in bright red... then its not serious... if the blood is darker blood...then you should see someone and tell them.
If it does continue I'd see your GP or go into a walk-in center of some kind. It should stop soon, just drink plenty of fluids (water) throughout the day to flush out your system. It could just be some minor, so nothing to worry about, but like I said if it continues go and get it checked out to be on the safe side.
Original post by Anonymous
So I woke up this morning feeling really sick and had around 7 episodes of severe vomiting, thinking that yesterday's chippie dinner really turned on me. I started to have diarrhoea and I predict I lost at least a litre and a half of water.

I had a little sleep and the sickness went away but I'm still having a little diarrhoea. I am really dehydrated and any liquid fills me up however I am managing to keep a bit inside me. I have IBS so that's starting to act up so I'm drinking peppermint tea.

About 2 hours ago I started to see strips of blood in my'episodes'. It says online that it could be dehydration but how do I know if it is anything worse? I'm a bit spaced out and I have work later however I had a bug last Sunday so cannot take the day off work. Should I go in and see how it goes or do I need medical attention?!

While fresh blood in stools is usually benign, it can on occasion be caused by inflammatory bowel disease which is often presents in adolescence and early 20's. Therefore if symptoms persist, you should see a doctor just to check that this is not the cause of your symptoms.

In older adults, polyps or cancer can cause bloody stools, but this is very unlikely given your probable age, unless you have a genetic mutation predisposing you to bowel cancer. If you have a family history of bowel cancer, then it is even more important to have your symptoms checked.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest