The Student Room Group

AQA A2 HISTORY: The Triumph of Elizabeth, 1547-1603 Offical Thread. 2nd June 2014.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lorrieeista
Thank you 😄 :smile:

Sorry to be a pain but that stance on the arch priest controversy isn't completely true... It was parsons (the Jesuit) who suggested there needed to be an arch priest for seminary priests and this upset the conservative nature of the preists and they felt because it was by a Jesuit the appointment it was the Jesuits trying to get control of the catholic mission and THEN they appealed to Rome for authority as well as Liz promising loyalty is she banned Jesuits from the country!
How is everyone revising today and tomorrow?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 222
Original post by Endless Blue

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm planning on going over essay plans and historiography, maybe a quick read through of my notes and getting tested on key dates and terminology!
May also fit in a quick panic about how little I feel that I know.
Reply 223
If they asked a question on France do you think we'd be allowed to talk about Scotland? Good relations with one meant good relations with the other and because they're often very linked e.g. MQS do you think it would be ok?
Can someone give me some examples on times Elizabeth's ministers disobeyed her? I can only think of MQS execution in 1587 :frown:
Reply 225
Original post by knighty437
Can someone give me some examples on times Elizabeth's ministers disobeyed her? I can only think of MQS execution in 1587 :frown:

In the 90s she made Essex Lord Lieutenant of Ireland to help crush the rebellion but he didn't stay in the North like she ordered,and got a truce with Tyrone despite Elizabeth asking him to confront him, enabling Tyrone to go to Cork and try and link up with Spain when the truce expired. He then returned to court in Sept 1599 (I think) without her permission.
She dealt with it by suspending him and charging him with treason, refusing to renew his monopoly, which helped cause the Essex rebellion in 1601 :smile:

I hope this helps a bit, I can't think of any other examples except MQS!
Original post by annmcc
In the 90s she made Essex Lord Lieutenant of Ireland to help crush the rebellion but he didn't stay in the North like she ordered,and got a truce with Tyrone despite Elizabeth asking him to confront him, enabling Tyrone to go to Cork and try and link up with Spain when the truce expired. He then returned to court in Sept 1599 (I think) without her permission.
She dealt with it by suspending him and charging him with treason, refusing to renew his monopoly, which helped cause the Essex rebellion in 1601 :smile:

I hope this helps a bit, I can't think of any other examples except MQS!

I just want you to know, when these exams are over, I will find you and I will worship you for the miracle that you are! Thank-you :smile:
-The House of Commons pressing the issue of succession/marriage in 1563/1566 .The privy council effectively controlled parliament so they were infringing upon and disobeying her royal prerogative.
-Leicester took the title "governor general" in the Netherlands in 1586 despite Elizabeth instructing him not to do so
-Essex disobeyed Elizabeth's strategic order to prevent a Spanish attack on Ireland in 1597 and instead attempted to raid the Azores
-Essex made a truce with the Earl of Tyrone in 1599, disobeying Elizabeth's order to confront him.
Those are the only ones I can think of :smile:
Original post by JJXX212
-The House of Commons pressing the issue of succession/marriage in 1563/1566 .The privy council effectively controlled parliament so they were infringing upon and disobeying her royal prerogative.
-Leicester took the title "governor general" in the Netherlands in 1586 despite Elizabeth instructing him not to do so
-Essex disobeyed Elizabeth's strategic order to prevent a Spanish attack on Ireland in 1597 and instead attempted to raid the Azores
-Essex made a truce with the Earl of Tyrone in 1599, disobeying Elizabeth's order to confront him.
Those are the only ones I can think of :smile:

Where is this info?
Where is this info?

-Essex disobeying Elizabeth's command to prevent a Spanish attack on Ireland and instead attempting to raid Azore's 1597: page 164 AQA textbook

-Privy council pressing Elizabeth on the issue of marriage/succession through use of control over MP's/House of commons in 1563 and 1566 parliament: page 66 AQA textbook

-Essex making truce with Earl of Tyrone in 1599: page 170 AQA textbook

-Leicester took the title of governer-general in the Netherlands 1586 despite Elizabeth forbidding him to do so: http://www.shakespeareandhistory.com/elizabeth-i.php
Reply 230
I just want you to know, when these exams are over, I will find you and I will worship you for the miracle that you are! Thank-you :smile:

Could you added to this by saying Robert Cecil and the earl of Essex spoke to James I of Scotland behind her back, in order to secure the succession.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Could you get a question specifically on the Netherlands?
Original post by Endless Blue

Posted from TSR Mobile

Going to go over all Elizabeth notes, re-look at the dates and try and memorise them and some historiography. Watch a couple documentaries.
Reply 233
Does anyone have any historiography on Liz/Phil relationship?
Reply 234
To everyone sitting the exam, don't be afraid despite what you've learnt. If your mind goes blank, don't rush. Remember, the examiners will not try to restrict your marks if you've done well. C'mon guys, this is the final push....or you can resit next year XD
Original post by bkw321
Puritanism and especially Presbyterianism started dying out didn't it? The leading puritan sympathisers at court such as Walsingham and Leicester started dying out, and the religious predicament/unity by the end of her reign shows clearly that Puritanism's growing influence had long passed. Like god knows how many years past!

Original post by bkw321
Growing influence? WTH, those years experienced a decline in their influence!

Hey, I've found a possible answer for my original question:
We are right in that the majority of historians see Puritans as dying out by 1590s - but after Elizabeth's death, puritanism started to rise again and became a problem under James I and Charles I. So there's a debate as to whether Elizabeth actually had a long-term achievement with stopping Puritans, or if it was a temporary stoppage which made them simply go underground and rise again later.
And there's a quote by Hurstfield if you ever mention this in an essay: "she damped down the fires of opposition - and left them smouldering for her successors"

Just thought I'd note this in case anyone's still wondering, I think this is the closest thing that AQA could have meant to the 'growing influence of Puritanism'!
Reply 236
Original post by brendonbackflip
Hey, I've found a possible answer for my original question:
We are right in that the majority of historians see Puritans as dying out by 1590s - but after Elizabeth's death, puritanism started to rise again and became a problem under James I and Charles I. So there's a debate as to whether Elizabeth actually had a long-term achievement with stopping Puritans, or if it was a temporary stoppage which made them simply go underground and rise again later.
And there's a quote by Hurstfield if you ever mention this in an essay: "she damped down the fires of opposition - and left them smouldering for her successors"

Just thought I'd note this in case anyone's still wondering, I think this is the closest thing that AQA could have meant to the 'growing influence of Puritanism'!

Ah thank you. I knew that it re-emerged, especially Presbyterianism, but I didn't see it as significant in this syllabus. It may be worth mentioning. :biggrin:
Original post by bkw321
Ah thank you. I knew that it re-emerged, especially Presbyterianism, but I didn't see it as significant in this syllabus. It may be worth mentioning. :biggrin:

No problem. I think anything that deals with looking at 1603 is a good chance to include things from James I/Charles I because it shows the long-term effects of Elizabeth's policies and shows a bit more of a 'synoptic' knowledge (though I highly doubt AQA are expecting it generally). So yeah it'd be good if it was a question on how successful was E on Puritan/religious policy, or a counter to the idea that there was religious unity :smile:
Reply 238
Trying to remember that after Monday I never have to think about Elizabeth 1 again. I don't think I've ever been more excited for a Monday
Reply 239
What kind of questions do you guys think will come up?

I'm hoping for a question that relates to
-mid tudor crisis
-ed's and marys religion
-elizabeth's government

i dont like foreign policy. i could cry lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending