The Student Room Group

Integration

022x+5x dx\displaystyle\int^2_0\sqrt[x]{2x+5}\ dx

If i was integrating using substitution of u2=2x+5u^2 = 2x+5 , would i need to change the values of 2 and 0 or not?
Since i replace u at the end anyway?

Thanks!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zenarthra

If i was integrating using substitution of u2=2x+5u^2 = 2x+5 , would i need to change the values of 2 and 0 or not?

Thanks!

If you replace it, no, but probably best to make it clear that x = 2 or x = 0 (as opposed to u) in the limits.
Reply 2

Thanks!

Firstly, I don't think you wrote what you meant to - I presume your integral should be of a square root, not the x-th root as you've written it.

Secondly, when you make a substitution you have to keep everything consistent - either write your final result as a function of u and change your limits to u limits, or convert your final result back into a function of x and use the original x limits.

Thanks!

I would agree with Davros (I have been doing that a lot lately) but would go further and take usycool's point

The minute your function includes any u your limits should read x=

My practice is to
Write limits as values
Introduce u and change limits to x=
(if sticking with u)Change limits to u=
Then continue with values
(if planning n a return to x)Continue with x=
Only return to numbers after the re-substitution
Reply 4
Original post by TenOfThem
I would agree with Davros (I have been doing that a lot lately) but would go further and take usycool's point

The minute your function includes any u your limits should read x=

My practice is to
Write limits as values
Introduce u and change limits to x=
(if sticking with u)Change limits to u=
Then continue with values
(if planning n a return to x)Continue with x=
Only return to numbers after the re-substitution

Original post by davros
Firstly, I don't think you wrote what you meant to - I presume your integral should be of a square root, not the x-th root as you've written it.

Secondly, when you make a substitution you have to keep everything consistent - either write your final result as a function of u and change your limits to u limits, or convert your final result back into a function of x and use the original x limits.

Yes you're right davros, i didnt mean to write it out like that. It's my first time using latex so forgive me. :tongue:
And also TenOfThem thanks, but would be easier when you have limits in x, change them to u and just substitute the limits into u when integrated?
Would I get the same answer?

ThankS!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Yes you're right davros, i didnt mean to write it out like that. It's my first time using latex so forgive me. :tongue:
And also TenOfThem thanks, but would be easier when you have limits in x, change them to u and just substitute the limits into u when integrated, so it would say replacing u?
I said get the same answer right?

ThankS!

Personally, I would go even further and write u explicitly as a function of x like this:

"By making the substitution u=2x+5u = \sqrt{2x + 5} we have ... "

I see a lot of books trying to be "clever" by saying things like "Let u2=f(x)u^2 = f(x) ...", but this hides the subtlety that you have a choice of which square root to take when you change the limits.

You can write u=f(x)u = \sqrt{f(x)} or u=f(x)u = -\sqrt{f(x)} and get the correct answer either way, but it makes it explicit what you're doing when you convert the limits!
Reply 6
Original post by usycool1
If you replace it, no, but probably best to make it clear that x = 2 or x = 0 (as opposed to u) in the limits.

Thanks!
Reply 7
Original post by davros
Personally, I would go even further and write u explicitly as a function of x like this:

"By making the substitution u=2x+5u = \sqrt{2x + 5} we have ... "

I see a lot of books trying to be "clever" by saying things like "Let u2=f(x)u^2 = f(x) ...", but this hides the subtlety that you have a choice of which square root to take when you change the limits.

You can write u=f(x)u = \sqrt{f(x)} or u=f(x)u = -\sqrt{f(x)} and get the correct answer either way, but it makes it explicit what you're doing when you convert the limits!

Sorry im a little confused here's what i mean:

Would i replace the u's or just get the u's from the x values and find the area that way, would it give me the same answer?

ThankS!

When you make a change of variable, you must change the limits to your new variable. When you revert back to your original variable, revert your limits back to normal.

xixjF(x) dx =subuiujG(u) du=G(u)uiuj=F(x)xixj\displaystyle \begin{aligned} \int_{x_i}^{x_j} F'(x) \text{ d}x & \ \overset{\text{sub}}= \int_{u_i}^{u_j} G'(u) \text{ d}u \\ & = G(u) \Big|_{u_i}^{u_j} \\ & = F(x) \Big|_{x_i}^{x_j} \end{aligned}
(edited 9 years ago)
Also how would you go about solving the intagral in the OP? Is it possible to do with a-level (including fm) knowledge? Is it even possible to find the closed form of the integral?
Reply 10
Original post by JerzyDudek
Also how would you go about solving the intagral in the OP? Is it possible to do with a-level (including fm) knowledge? Is it even possible to find the closed form of the integral?

If you mean the one that appeared to have an x-th root in it, then no, I don't think there's a closed form for it!

Actually, looking at the OP's last post I think I'd assumed that x wasn't supposed to be there at all whereas in fact I think the OP intended it to be outside the root and multiplying it, but I don't think that changes any of the arguments above - either the root on its own or the root multiplied by x can be integrated.

OP: if you let u=2x+5u = \sqrt{2x + 5} then when you change to an integral in u, the limits must be changed too:
x = 0 => u=5u = \sqrt{5}
x = 2 => u = 3
Original post by JerzyDudek

it would look horrible as would have to divide (u^(1/x))/2 (assuming you let u = 2x+5) by 1/x+1 xD

edit: impossible to do as its impossible to get it all in terms of 1 variable with A-level knowledge(i think) therefore limits cant be applied
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by davros
If you mean the one that appeared to have an x-th root in it, then no, I don't think there's a closed form for it!

Actually, looking at the OP's last post I think I'd assumed that x wasn't supposed to be there at all whereas in fact I think the OP intended it to be outside the root and multiplying it, but I don't think that changes any of the arguments above - either the root on its own or the root multiplied by x can be integrated.

OP: if you let u=2x+5u = \sqrt{2x + 5} then when you change to an integral in u, the limits must be changed too:
x = 0 => u=5u = \sqrt{5}
x = 2 => u = 3

I understand, thank you!
Reply 13
Original post by Khallil
When you make a change of variable, you must change the limits to your new variable. When you revert back to your original variable, revert your limits back to normal.

xixjF(x) dx =subuiujG(u) du=G(u)uiuj=F(x)xixj\displaystyle \begin{aligned} \int_{x_i}^{x_j} F'(x) \text{ d}x & \ \overset{\text{sub}}= \int_{u_i}^{u_j} G'(u) \text{ d}u \\ & = G(u) \Big|_{u_i}^{u_j} \\ & = F(x) \Big|_{x_i}^{x_j} \end{aligned}

Thanks!
Sorry im a little confused here's what i mean:

Would i replace the u's or just get the u's from the x values and find the area that way, would it give me the same answer?

ThankS!

Dem paint skills
Reply 15
Original post by dilzo999
dem paint skills

dats how i roll!

Quick Reply