The Student Room Group

AQA The Making of Modern Britain, 1951-2007 HIS3M summer 2014 exam!

hey everyone, just wondered who else is doing this exam and if you could share revision tips etc? or it could be just a general "panic-about-the-exam" thread :wink:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hey
anyone got any good essays or essays plans that they would kindly share?
Reply 2
BUMP!!!
Reply 3
Original post by harriet95
BUMP!!!

hi can you read my thread it is a technique that can be applied to any aqa history topic have you thought about it? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2647083
Reply 4
Original post by Dilan97
hi can you read my thread it is a technique that can be applied to any aqa history topic have you thought about it? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2647083

this is brilliant, thank you for sharing as I realised this just after my first go at the AS American History paper!!!! cant wait to be more organised this time around. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Dilan97

also, what sort of revision are you doing for history? for my method I'm going to look at the past mark schemes of past papers and note down any key points that are suggested to the markers.
Reply 6
Original post by harriet95
this is brilliant, thank you for sharing as I realised this just after my first go at the AS American History paper!!!! cant wait to be more organised this time around. :smile:

You're doing the 1890-45 us paper too? The thing is the specification for the 2014 US exam is

1.) 1890 - 1920 (rise of biz, immigration, progressivism, imperialism)
2.) 1920 - 1930 (kkk, red scare, 1920s society, economic boom etc_
3.) 1920 (wall street crash)
4.) 1930+ (new deal, after ww2 etc)

im thinking since the spec is divided into 4 areas and there are only 3 sub sections in the exam (and only 2 sub sections we need to answer) but which area of the spec is going to go in the paper?

They have never made a question on the wall street crash. And I don't want to answer the new deal section. I want to only revise 2 areas - do you think they might miss the 1890 section and ask on spec 2,3 & 4? In all the old papers they've never missed the 1890 bit before though. But i'm curious if the wall street crash spec appears for the first time will it take the places of kkk etc era since they are both in the 20's? Aghhh
Reply 7
Original post by Dilan97

hey sorry for the long reply, all ive revised for are the last 3 sections, i know new deal is a drag but it gets mentioned almost in every year, from one angle or another eg did FDRs policy get the economy going again, how successful were the new deal policies etc etc... beginning to worry now haha!
Hi expecting economic decline as synoptic question - and one on early conservative period 13 wasted years type or maybe one that crosses labour/winter of discontent and early Thatcher period. Also one focusing on Blair is long overdue - maybe How new was new labour/ promised much delivered little/ all spin no substance type of question or his foreign policy
Original post by michelle2909
Hi expecting economic decline as synoptic question - and one on early conservative period 13 wasted years type or maybe one that crosses labour/winter of discontent and early Thatcher period. Also one focusing on Blair is long overdue - maybe How new was new labour/ promised much delivered little/ all spin no substance type of question or his foreign policy

With regards to Blair, can they ask a question specifically focusing on Northern Ireland? I really hope not but just checking! Really hoping for a 13 Wasted Years, Economic Synoptic or Wilson/Heath! Thatcher's come up for the last 3 years I think
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Tomocalypse
With regards to Blair, can they ask a question specifically focusing on Northern Ireland? I really hope not but just checking! Really hoping for a 13 Wasted Years, Economic Synoptic or Wilson/Heath! Thatcher's come up for the last 3 years I think

I agree that a Blair question is unfortunately overdue which will probably mean that they drop Thatcher.

I don't think there's enough on Northern Ireland to make it a question in itself as it's a bit thin across the ground. I suppose they could as Heath, Major and Blair all contributed to the eventual resolution.

They did both the "Thirteen Wasted Years" and synoptic "Britain in economic decline" questions in 2010 so I'm not sure that would crop up again given the amount of other content that they can choose from.

I'm surprised a Europe question hasn't come up yet to be honest. I'm almost thinking they could sneakily make that a synoptic question as it's constantly a foreign policy issue.
Original post by JesusTheDiglett
I agree that a Blair question is unfortunately overdue which will probably mean that they drop Thatcher.

I don't think there's enough on Northern Ireland to make it a question in itself as it's a bit thin across the ground. I suppose they could as Heath, Major and Blair all contributed to the eventual resolution.

They did both the "Thirteen Wasted Years" and synoptic "Britain in economic decline" questions in 2010 so I'm not sure that would crop up again given the amount of other content that they can choose from.

I'm surprised a Europe question hasn't come up yet to be honest. I'm almost thinking they could sneakily make that a synoptic question as it's constantly a foreign policy issue.

I'm dreading anything to do with Europe or Foreign Policy :frown: I sort of understand Blair and Iraq...Bit of Europe. International synoptic would make me cry.

I'd be happy with questions on 13 Wasted Years, maybe a comparison between Wilson+Callaghan/Heath...I'd love the question about Thatcher's achievements being limited. I guess we'll find out in a couple of days haha
I'm dreading anything to do with Europe or Foreign Policy :frown: I sort of understand Blair and Iraq...Bit of Europe. International synoptic would make me cry.

I'd be happy with questions on 13 Wasted Years, maybe a comparison between Wilson+Callaghan/Heath...I'd love the question about Thatcher's achievements being limited. I guess we'll find out in a couple of days haha

I am going over Europe, Foreign Policy and Blair today just to be safe. After that we'll see how it goes tomorrow morning!! I am betting on a Blair question of some kind.

I would be happy with any question on 1951 - 1964 or 1979 - 1990 haha. I am a little bit shaky on Heath/Wilson and Blair.

In fact, I have no idea what synoptic question I want to come up as I'm not that confident on it in general.

Slight panic time! ):
Original post by JesusTheDiglett
I am going over Europe, Foreign Policy and Blair today just to be safe. After that we'll see how it goes tomorrow morning!! I am betting on a Blair question of some kind.

I would be happy with any question on 1951 - 1964 or 1979 - 1990 haha. I am a little bit shaky on Heath/Wilson and Blair.

In fact, I have no idea what synoptic question I want to come up as I'm not that confident on it in general.

Slight panic time! ):

Well today's a good day not to cram, but to stay calm, focused and recap everything. In terms of synoptic, I feel:

International: Hard and I can't do it lol

Economic: Always about the extent of decline. 51-64 = Good/ 64-79 = Not too good/ 79-90 = Good/ 1990-1997 = Ok, (ERM+Black Wednesday bad, then became good) / 1997-2007 = Good, but bad in Blair's second term.

Social: Came up last year so hoping it won't again haha

Blair will come up for sure, I just hope it's with regards to the economy!
Good luck everyone :redface:

How are people planning essay technique?
I was thinking of giving 10 mins planning for each essay, 30 mins writing and 5mins leeway for each or time to read over and grimace!

They would be really mean to focus on such a narrow issue as Northern Ireland which is part of domestic policy - more likely to come up in an achievements/failures type of question. If Blair, questions could be how new was new Labour/promised much delivered little/all spin no substance type and text book covers them all - also look online at the telegraph article from 2008 'promised much delivered little' and if you type into google 'what are the differences between new and old labour' there is a really good article that comes up
Reply 16
Please can someone explain how the first past the post system works? I'm confused about how Labour got more votes in 1951 yet the Conservatives won..
For those who haven't seen it, we've got a massive thread going here with tons of essays, plans and other resources.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2345853
Original post by michelle2909
They would be really mean to focus on such a narrow issue as Northern Ireland which is part of domestic policy - more likely to come up in an achievements/failures type of question. If Blair, questions could be how new was new Labour/promised much delivered little/all spin no substance type and text book covers them all - also look online at the telegraph article from 2008 'promised much delivered little' and if you type into google 'what are the differences between new and old labour' there is a really good article that comes up

Thanks man, I appreciate it! My plan now is to memorise my structure I did earlier for economic synoptic and a bunch of other essays in the hope they come up haha - I'm in panic mode!
We have to wait 24 hours before commenting on the exam, don't we? Ha ha...

Quick Reply

Latest