The Student Room Group

Does reverse racism actually exist?

Guys read this. What do you think? Do you think the same thing goes for Misandry?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

:bump:
inb4 chronic denial, not even bothering to read it and "but the dictionary says..."
Original post by Meyrin
inb4 chronic denial, not even bothering to read it and "but the dictionary says..."

Well, you should try to read it. Because there are different definitions of racism
I didn't write this btw. I came across it on twitter
Original post by ennahaspatience
:bump:

Your username is so deceitful.
Original post by fajitamunch
Your username is so deceitful.

It is actually my middle name tbh. I'm not patient at all
Racism means discrimination against a person due to their race/ethnicity. It's as simple as that.

It's important to realise that racism against certain groups is systematic and has a long history. It's important to realise that in the UK and US, ethnic minorities experience difficulty in their lives due to widespread racism. But this understanding does not require a new definition on the word racism that merely excludes white people from being victims of racism. Such talk merely excludes white people from the debate, and dismisses them as oppressors, and all minorities as victims. It's not a healthy attitude to racism.
Original post by PythianLegume
Racism means discrimination against a person due to their race/ethnicity. It's as simple as that.

It's important to realise that racism against certain groups is systematic and has a long history. It's important to realise that in the UK and US, ethnic minorities experience difficulty in their lives due to widespread racism. But this understanding does not require a new definition on the word racism that merely excludes white people from being victims of racism. Such talk merely excludes white people from the debate, and dismisses them as oppressors, and all minorities as victims. It's not a healthy attitude to racism.

I think what the person who wrote the article is trying to say, without all the anger and attitude, is that and ethnic minorities can not actually be racist because they do not have the power to be racist. By her/ his definition of racism seems to be about institutional racism, everything else is just prejudice. I don't know, I don't 100% agree but I understand what he/she is saying. So basically

POWER+PREJUDICE=RACISM
I think what the person who wrote the article is trying to say, without all the anger and attitude, is that and ethnic minorities can not actually be racist because they do not have the power to be racist. By her/ his definition of racism seems to be about institutional racism, everything else is just prejudice. I don't know, I don't 100% agree but I understand what he/she is saying. So basically

POWER+PREJUDICE=RACISM

Even if you do change the definition of racism to be power and prejudice colliding, I still think that white people can be victims of racism. While in generally racism would be targetted against minorities, the world is not as black and white (pun completely intended) as white people having power and ethnic minorities not having it. If a black employer was to turn down a poor white candidate for a job purely based on race, this would appear to be a person in power exercising prejudice against someone due to their colour.

As I mentioned earlier too, it excludes white people. If racism is going to stop, surprisingly we'll need white people to stop being racist. Ignoring any of their problems and claiming that they are simply 'derailing' the conversation marginalises them from discussion about race. Discourse about racism then becomes little more than ethnic minorities complaining amongst themselves about their problems, with no-one to hear them. The fact is that most white people don't feel very powerful just because of their race. I'm sure they're aware of the benefits, but they still don't feel powerful, unless they're among the small group of people with genuine influence.
I can't be bothered to read the OP, but "reverse-racism" is a meaningless term. Racism is discrimination against a race, so it can apply to any situation of racial discrimination.
Original post by PythianLegume
Even if you do change the definition of racism to be power and prejudice colliding, I still think that white people can be victims of racism. While in generally racism would be targetted against minorities, the world is not as black and white (pun completely intended) as white people having power and ethnic minorities not having it. If a black employer was to turn down a poor white candidate for a job purely based on race, this would appear to be a person in power exercising prejudice against someone due to their colour.

As I mentioned earlier too, it excludes white people. If racism is going to stop, surprisingly we'll need white people to stop being racist. Ignoring any of their problems and claiming that they are simply 'derailing' the conversation marginalises them from discussion about race. Discourse about racism then becomes little more than ethnic minorities complaining amongst themselves about their problems, with no-one to hear them. The fact is that most white people don't feel very powerful just because of their race. I'm sure they're aware of the benefits, but they still don't feel powerful, unless they're among the small group of people with genuine influence.

That was my problem with the article. In a black country, the black people would have the power over a white person, racism can be exercised by that persons definition. Apparently, from twitter, they said that is not about the individual because it is not the individual per se that has the power but rather the race as whole. I have asked these questions on twitter. I think the person's argument is quite flawed but I do agree with some of it:colondollar:
Original post by ThatPerson
I can't be bothered to read the OP, but "reverse-racism" is a meaningless term. Racism is discrimination against a race, so it can apply to any situation of racial discrimination.

I understand that too.
Reply 13
I can't open up the article unfortunately so my contribution will be limited. I have to say that racism applies to the individual just as much as it applies to a state or institution so the authors definition of racism seems flawed from the outset If I've interpreted what they have said correctly. Reverse racism doesn't even exist as a concept in my mind. Racism is racism no matter what race it's directed at.

Yes black people and other racial minorities have had a terrible time but if we were to support the notion that this means white people can't be victims of racism we would have to trawl through history to find out whether white poeple have ever been oppressed or victimised due to race by the society or state they are part of. The simple answer is yes, white people have been racially targeted in history. Granted that this is mostly 'white on white rasicm' but black people have been racist as well.

White people have been victims of racism. You look at parts of Africa and you'll find white people as a victimised minority. Racism applies everywhere and to everyone.
Original post by alapa
I can't open up the article unfortunately so my contribution will be limited. I have to say that racism applies to the individual just as much as it applies to a state or institution so the authors definition of racism seems flawed from the outset If I've interpreted what they have said correctly. Reverse racism doesn't even exist as a concept in my mind. Racism is racism no matter what race it's directed at.

Yes black people and other racial minorities have had a terrible time but if we were to support the notion that this means white people can't be victims of racism we would have to trawl through history to find out whether white poeple have ever been oppressed or victimised due to race by the society or state they are part of. The simple answer is yes, white people have been racially targeted in history. Granted that this is mostly 'white on white rasicm' but black people have been racist as well.

White people have been victims of racism. You look at parts of Africa and you'll find white people as a victimised minority. Racism applies everywhere and to everyone.

I think the person is taking about in America. But yes, again her definition is based on institutional racism rather that normal racism, which she dismisses totally.
Reply 15
I think the person is taking about in America. But yes, again her definition is based on institutional racism rather that normal racism, which she dismisses totally.

Ahhhh ok. I stand by what I've said but its mostly irrelevant to this thread then. Carry on.
Original post by alapa
Ahhhh ok. I stand by what I've said but its mostly irrelevant to this thread then. Carry on.

No, it would argue that it is worst here. They have a mixed race president and a higher percentage of ethnic minorities
Reply 17
No, it would argue that it is worst here. They have a mixed race president and a higher percentage of ethnic minorities

Obama is part of a majority white political party and runs a majority white country. I don't think you could say that American society is racist against white people or has the potential to be so given its current demographic. Individual racism against white people is bound to happen in America (as it does here) but I would say my previous argument applies to America.
Original post by alapa
Obama is part of a majority white political party and runs a majority white country. I don't think you could say that American society is racist against white people or has the potential to be so given its current demographic. Individual racism against white people is bound to happen in America (as it does here) but I would say my previous argument applies to America.

Same in UK or nah?
Reply 19

Obama is part of a majority white political party and runs a majority white country. I don't think you could say that American society is racist against white people or has the potential to be so given its current demographic.

Its entirely plausible that areas in america with a high proportion of ethnic minorites would be racist against white people though.

Individual racism against white people is bound to happen in America (as it does here) but I wouldn't say my previous argument applies to America.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending