The Student Room Group

Do you consider UKIP good or bad?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by geokinkladze
You do realise there is more to public spending than the number of police officers?

And there is more to tax than the top rate of income tax.

Yes, having been a voter and tax payer for 20 years and a user of public services for 38 I think I just about get it. Also as a qualified accountant It's also fair to say I have a pretty good understanding of how to balance the books.

My comments merely pointed out two policies that don't make sense you can't cut taxes and increase public spending. If you analyse what they promise you look at anything published by UKIP it is impossible to see how they can afford to deliver what they promise. Especially as a reduction in EU funding will result in a loss of subsidised employment programmes for the unemployed. This will lead to more people claiming benefits. Add to this the fact despite UKIP's claims that immigrants drain the benefits system. They amount they actually claim is minuscule compared to the cost of pensions and disability benefits.

There is no hiding from the fact that their policies are not financially viable. Any of us could come up with a bunch of policies that win votes and appeal to a broad range of people. To be truly informed about a parties policies you have to understand how viable their policies are.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RobertsClan
My comments merely pointed out two policies that don't make sense you can't cut taxes and increase public spending. If you analyse what they promise you look at anything published by UKIP it is impossible to see how they can afford to deliver what they promise.

Indeed - and Farage was pulled up on this by Paxman a few weeks back.

I think one of the things UKIP promised was to increase bus services as well as all sorts of other things which would cost money. All at the same time as saying they would be cutting tax.

The only answer Farage could muster is that quiting the EU would save money which could be used to deliver their promises. Of course he ignored two important points:

1) Leaving the EU could actually cost us money rather than save it.
2) These were local and EU parliament elections... quite how councillors and MEPs are going to organise the UK's withdrawal from the EU is beyond me...

Paxman was left to conclude the UKIP's promises were a load of "airy fairy eye-catching nonsense."

I couldn't agree more.
You do realise there is more to public spending than the number of police officers?

And there is more to tax than the top rate of income tax.

From what little information there is about UKIP's tax policy, it seems like they now want to take the minimum wage out of tax and combine NI and income tax into one, with a top rate of about 40%. Even if we forget about raising the threshold and cutting income tax for a second, NI alone brings in £110bn a year.

That sounds like a pretty big tax cut to me.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by DaveSmith99
From what little information there is about UKIP's tax policy, it seems like they now want to take the minimum wage out of tax and combine NI and income tax into one, with the top rate of about 40%. Even if we forget about raising the threshold and cutting income tax for a second, NI alone brings in £110bn a year.

One could argue that the extra disposable income people have will encourage extra growth in the economy and therefore higher tax revenues. Also, considering consumption is an extremely large component of GDP in the UK, it is likely most of it would be recovered through VAT.

This is especially the case for low/middle income earners who have an extremely high propensity to consume.

Lower, more efficient state and lower taxes is the way forward in my opinion.

Clearly someone needs to run some analytical models on it though which UKIP have apparently got think-tanks doing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by will2348
One could argue that the extra disposable income people have will encourage extra growth in the economy and therefore higher tax revenues. Also, considering consumption is an extremely large component of GDP in the UK, it is likely most of it would be recovered through VAT.

This is especially the case for low/middle income earners who have an extremely high propensity to consume.

Clearly someone needs to run some analytical models on it though which UKIP have apparently got think-tanks doing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

One could argue that a tax cut worth about a fifth of the entire governments income would increase tax revenue, it would be a stupid, nonsensical argument grounded in little more than ideological dogma, but I suppose it would be an argument nonetheless.
Reply 765
Original post by will2348

Lower, more efficient state and lower taxes is the way forward in my opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm pretty sure I'd just pump the money into my mortgage tbh...
Also as a qualified accountant It's also fair to say I have a pretty good understanding of how to balance the books.

My comments merely pointed out two policies that don't make sense you can't cut taxes and increase public spending.

As an accountant you should know that citing a proposal to increase one small item in a companies accounts isn't reason to assume all expenditures will rise. Similarly the same applies to a company changing the price of one product on total income. The fact that you are an accountant means you know what you were doing when you made those statements.

And as an aside you CAN cut taxes AND increase spending.. but I've seen no evidence to suspect that is what UKIP propose to do.
From what little information there is about UKIP's tax policy, it seems like they now want to take the minimum wage out of tax and combine NI and income tax into one, with a top rate of about 40%. Even if we forget about raising the threshold and cutting income tax for a second, NI alone brings in £110bn a year.

It is all conjecture at the moment. I guess we'll just have to wait for their manifesto, like we do every other party.
One could argue that a tax cut worth about a fifth of the entire governments income would increase tax revenue, it would be a stupid, nonsensical argument grounded in little more than ideological dogma, but I suppose it would be an argument nonetheless.

It is an argument Keynes and Khaldun have made in the past, I wouldn't call them stupid. Either way you are assuming there is no reciprocal increase in the tax take elsewhere.
Reply 769
It is an argument Keynes and Khaldun have made in the past, I wouldn't call them stupid. Either way you are assuming there is no reciprocal increase in the tax take elsewhere.

I don't see how my putting money to pay off my mortgage would create a reciprocal increase elsewhere...
Interesting post.

I find it amazing how people vote for UKIP just based on them wanting to leave the EU. They are completely ignorant about their manifesto, something I am not too familiar with.

Do I think they are good or bad? Good, if it means putting pressure on the 'big three' to listen to the voters. I think it would be bad if they got into power. I agree with another post on here saying UKIP have all the answers - they don't! They are as greedy, corrupt and incompetent as the rest, perhaps worse. I really don't see much difference between them all.

I consider myself a Labour supporter, but I don't like what the previous Labour ran the country. Secondly, I'd vote Lib Dem, but I don't like how Clegg sacrificed his principles for a sniff of power. Additionally, I as well as many others, thought a Lib Dem coalition would redress the excesses of the Tory party. Instead, this hasn't happened. So it's a no. I don't feel any affiliation to Conservative. So I feel stuck!

I quite like Farage, but I'm not too fond on UKIP. I think most people voted for the man and not the party. And I don't think UKIP are the next Nazi Party. Farage seems to say sensible things, unlike some of the counsellors in his party!

So to answer your question - it depends in which context. It could be either.

Lee.
Reply 771
Original post by LeeMills77
Interesting post.

I find it amazing how people vote for UKIP just based on them wanting to leave the EU. They are completely ignorant about their manifesto, something I am not too familiar with.

Do I think they are good or bad? Good, if it means putting pressure on the 'big three' to listen to the voters. I think it would be bad if they got into power. I agree with another post on here saying UKIP have all the answers - they don't! They are as greedy, corrupt and incompetent as the rest, perhaps worse. I really don't see much difference between them all.

I consider myself a Labour supporter, but I don't like what the previous Labour ran the country. Secondly, I'd vote Lib Dem, but I don't like how Clegg sacrificed his principles for a sniff of power. Additionally, I as well as many others, thought a Lib Dem coalition would redress the excesses of the Tory party. Instead, this hasn't happened. So it's a no. I don't feel any affiliation to Conservative. So I feel stuck!

I quite like Farage, but I'm not too fond on UKIP. I think most people voted for the man and not the party. And I don't think UKIP are the next Nazi Party. Farage seems to say sensible things, unlike some of the counsellors in his party!

So to answer your question - it depends in which context. It could be either.

Lee.

It kinda has really.

Student loan repayment incentives weren't introduced (so people like me who didn't need the money but just arbitraged it didn't get a 10% pay off for giving it back)

The major boundary changes didn't happen.

Tax cuts have been focused on the poorest, the top rate band wasn't scrapped.

Lansleys NHS reforms were nothing compared to what they were supposed to be.
As an accountant you should know that citing a proposal to increase one small item in a companies accounts isn't reason to assume all expenditures will rise. Similarly the same applies to a company changing the price of one product on total income. The fact that you are an accountant means you know what you were doing when you made those statements.

And as an aside you CAN cut taxes AND increase spending.. but I've seen no evidence to suspect that is what UKIP propose to do.

In that case you mustn't be reading about or listening to some of the key discussions of their policies. At least one other poster on this thread has referred to the Paxman interview with Farage where exactly the things I have mentioned and others besides were discussed. It was pointed out that his policy wasn't financially viable and Farage couldn't explain how it could be achieved. Farage is very good at talking about the policies that they use to gain votes.

It's beginning to look like you're using the snippets of information you have acquired to accuse others of being I'll informed and full of assumptions. Maybe it would be worth you doing your homework a little first before. Anyone can say they've seen no evidence of something they don't want to see. You have to do your homework to find out what a political party stands for rather than listen to the bits they want to tell you. It's called looking for the bigger picture analysing the information available to you and making your own decision. Not listen to the policies designed to draw you in by lobbyists and spin doctors.

When the BBC followed Farage on the campaign trail they asked his supporters if they knew what else he stood for other than their policies on the EU and Immigration. None of then had a clue about any other policies. When the reporter asked about some of the things I have mentioned previously they had no idea. Farage did not once say they were not his policies during the conversation between him the reporter and his prospective voters. If they weren't his policies surely he would have taken the opportunity to put the record straight.

Oh and I wouldn't call reducing the taxes of the highest earners in this country a small tax cut.

I have to say some of the people I know who say they support UKIP do so to wind people up as they love to have a political debate. In reality though the people I know who actually voted UKIP don't follow politics, don't understand how the EU works and either haven't voted before or haven't voted for a very long time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
At least one other poster on this thread has referred to the Paxman interview with Farage where exactly the things I have mentioned and others besides were discussed.

I watched the interview and yes they were discussed.

It was pointed out that his policy wasn't financially viable and Farage couldn't explain how it could be achieved.

Farage merely pointed out that his party is yet to publish it's manifesto, as other parties have not done. Therefore claiming something was his policy was fruitless.

Farage is very good at talking about the policies that they use to gain votes.
as opposed to other parties that don't?

It's beginning to look like you're using the snippets of information you have acquired to accuse others of being I'll informed and full of assumptions.
On the contrary, I am accusing others of using snippets of information to make ill informed statements full of assumptions.

Anyone can say they've seen no evidence of something they don't want to see.
and anyone can respond to the invite to show real evidence. Unfortunately mentioning an interview with Paxman in which Farage says "we have yet to publish our manifesto" something which every other member of the main political parties says, is only evidence that they are doing what other parties do.

You have to do your homework to find out what a political party stands for rather than listen to the bits they want to tell you.
What do you suggest? Listen to people like you who say they are proposing to cut taxes and increase government spending when they have made no such statement. I think I'll stick to doing my homework thanks.

It's called looking for the bigger picture analysing the information available to you and making your own decision. Not listen to the policies designed to draw you in by lobbyists and spin doctors.
Exactly what I have done, I'm all in for evidence, but all I have heard so far IS opinion, and when I point out that the evidence you provide to back up your claims is selected snippets, you accuse me of using selective snippets of information and accuse me of not doing my homework. :colondollar:

When the BBC followed Farage on the campaign trail they asked his supporters if they knew what else he stood for other than their policies on the EU and Immigration. None of then had a clue about any other policies.
I'm sure that some people don't. I'm sure there is a lot of things about political parties that people don't know about. There is a lot of misinformation also, some people think they want to reduce taxes and increase government spending for example.

When the reporter asked about some of the things I have mentioned previously they had no idea.
What the things that aren't supported by evidence? And they had no idea? Some of them could be a little more discerning than yourself, some of them could be one issue voters. Some of them may have previously voted for the other main parties about whom they have no idea.

Farage did not once say they were not his policies during the conversation between him the reporter and his prospective voters. If they weren't his policies surely he would have taken the opportunity to put the record straight.
Ahhh but you see therein lies the issue. If a labour politician refuses to confirm or deny spending commitments ahead of the manifesto nothing is read into it. Farage's refusal to deny is evidence of his guilt. I can see your point of view now. Is that the bigger picture you told me to look out for?

Oh and I wouldn't call reducing the taxes of the highest earners in this country a small tax cut.

It depends on where you stand on the issue of a certain curve I suppose?

I have to say some of the people I know who say they support UKIP do so to wind people up as they love to have a political debate. In reality though the people I know who actually voted UKIP don't follow politics, don't understand how the EU works and either haven't voted before or haven't voted for a very long time.

Well I follow politics alright, understand enough about the EU to say most people don't understand how the EU works and have lost count of how many elections I have voted in. Stood for a few meself too (tho' not in the big leagues). :wink:
Original post by Quady
I don't see how my putting money to pay off my mortgage would create a reciprocal increase elsewhere...

I'm referring to the use of single snippets to draw general conclusions. Any serious party proposing a change to direct taxation would likely consider offsets from indirect taxation for example. In other words there may be a policy to increase the tax take elsewhere. I'll be careful what I say in case it is used as evidence that UKIP are proposing to double VAT. :rolleyes:

But to take your point directly you (and millions of others like you) may choose to reduce your mortgage by repaying the bank and think it ends there. However for an economist this money (reduced obligation) may be used by the bank to invest in plant & machinery etc etc. In fact I think it says a lot about the media we are exposed to that people often think money is only useful in the economy if it is used to consume rather than invest.
Reply 775
I'm referring to the use of single snippets to draw general conclusions. Any serious party proposing a change to direct taxation would likely consider offsets from indirect taxation for example. In other words there may be a policy to increase the tax take elsewhere. I'll be careful what I say in case it is used as evidence that UKIP are proposing to double VAT. :rolleyes:

But to take your point directly you (and millions of others like you) may choose to reduce your mortgage by repaying the bank and think it ends there. However for an economist this money (reduced obligation) may be used by the bank to invest in plant & machinery etc etc. In fact I think it says a lot about the media we are exposed to that people often think money is only useful in the economy if it is used to consume rather than invest.

It may be, although given banks still aren't lending to business I'd suggest they'd just hoard it to improve their capital position. Banks have money on tap from funding for lending but it still isn't happening.

In any case, such tangential tax returns have quite a time lag. In the short term either the deficit rises or UKIP reduces the size of the state which would counteract the tangential effects.
Faraj (sounds somewhat Asian anyway) is a total TOOL he's a total rassclart and shouldn't be allowed near the houses of parliament a mon avis! PRICK! EDL! EDL! EDL! EDL!

I'm not surprised, it hasn't been published yet, unless you mean the last one. I'll let you into a little secret tho', in 1983 Labour published their election manifesto which became known as "the longest suicide note in history". After their defeat most of those policies were quietly dropped. Every party does it to one extent or another. It's your choice if you are going to hold it against UKIP alone.

I agree with another post on here saying UKIP have all the answers - they don't!

Agree entirely with this.. no party has all the answers.

I as well as many others, thought a Lib Dem coalition would redress the excesses of the Tory party. Instead, this hasn't happened.
The pupil premium is an example of a policy that smacks of Lib Dem. I don't think that would have happened but for them.
Original post by Quady
It may be, although given banks still aren't lending to business I'd suggest they'd just hoard it to improve their capital position.
Yes, judging by the offers of credit cards I get I'd think it is safe to say they are using it to increase consumption, which is a shame.

Original post by Quady
Banks have money on tap from funding for lending but it still isn't happening.
Which is why businesses like "Funding Circle" have grown and the government is getting in on the act there too.

Original post by Quady
In any case, such tangential tax returns have quite a time lag. In the short term either the deficit rises or UKIP reduces the size of the state which would counteract the tangential effects.

Agreed, but I wasn't talking about the immediate tax take there, like I said previously the need to balance this year will mean a reciprocal tax rise elsewhere such as indirect taxation or an overall cut in spending. Seeing where they lie on the spectrum, if I had to bet, I'd put my money on a reduction in government spending.
This video made me laugh
[video="youtube;NL4KlyCNmUA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL4KlyCNmUA[/video]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending