The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 419
None of those united players are in it either tbh.

Rooney isn't in the top 10. Mata and RVP are maybes. This time a year ago they both would have been in, and dropping your opinion of them too far based on this season seems harsh.

Aguero, Suarez,Toure, Silva are the only definites really. The rest could be debated.
Original post by manchesterunited15
Rooney isn't in the top 10. Mata and RVP are maybes. This time a year ago they both would have been in, and dropping your opinion of them too far based on this season seems harsh.

Aguero, Suarez,Toure, Silva are the only definites really. The rest could be debated.

RvP is defo in, Mata is on the edge I reckon with the likes of Sturridge.

Ramsey is a definite too.
Original post by Straight up G
I gave you 25 players who are indisputably better than Cazorla. Do you have any arguments against them?

The rest, as I already said, are just players who you can make a (good or not) case for. By the end I was just dropping in names left right and centre because when you think about it, Cazorla has been ****e :lol:

Hmm I agree with the list for the 25 you put. Yeah he hasn't been good this season, but some of you guys are talking like he's any guy. Hopefully next season he'll be better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Please respond to my list of 25 players better than Santi Cazorla?
You missed off Christian Eriksen. He impressed me this season, second half starting to look like Spurs got the jump on all the club that passed him up. Pretty lethal from a dead ball too.

I'd also say with the United lot, gotta include DDG if you're going to include anyone, he'd first on the list if you can justify RVP or Mata he's in.
(edited 9 years ago)
arsenal thread back to its best..

Just shows how much these random pundits earn their money.. a few questionable tweets and suggested stories, and the whole football community is back to arguing and having a go at each other..

Doesnt really matter though..

If Cesc comes to aresnal.. I can see a player leaving, probably cazorla, - if not in the summer, probably in january..

If Cesc goes to united/city.. well.. all hell will break loose on this thread, and within arsenal..

Chances are Cesc will stay at barca, and we have just been arguing over nothing..

Woop. football.
Reply 6225

Last season they were without a doubt but, the game move on and it's all about what have you done lately. Last season, Ramsey wasn't in, Gerrard wasn't in, Hazard wasn't in. Heck going on last season form, Ozil was in (based on Real form obvs).
RvP is defo in, Mata is on the edge I reckon with the likes of Sturridge.

Ramsey is a definite too.

So you'd have Suarez, Aguero, Toure, Silva, RVP, Ramsey. What would your other 4 be?
Reply 6228

GTF on this bus people.
Original post by 419
Last season they were without a doubt but, the game move on and it's all about what have you done lately. Last season, Ramsey wasn't in, Gerrard wasn't in, Hazard wasn't in. Heck going on last season form, Ozil was in (based on Real form obvs).

But they'd proven their ability in the PL for the past 2 seasons, and only couldn't prove it again due to injury/being dropped then moving clubs. So it's not really their fault.
Reply 6230
But they'd proven their ability in the PL for the past 2 seasons, and only couldn't prove it again due to injury/being dropped then moving clubs. So it's not really their fault.

True, I agree to an extent but, you can also say the same with Ozil and he did have a good start to the season and on paper with the genuine players around him, he'll be top 10 no doubt. But with these sort of list, you have to do away with the foot notes as it leaves room for bias and selective opinions.
Original post by Fizzel
You missed off Christian Eriksen. He impressed me this season, second half starting to look like Spurs got the jump on all the club that passed him up. Pretty lethal from a dead ball too.

I'd also say with the United lot, gotta include DDG if you're going to include anyone, he'd first on the list if you can justify RVP or Mata he's in.

I'm a bit undecided on Eriksen. Absolutely undefendable dead ball, possibly better than Gerrard who was making a case to be the best in the world for a lot of the season, but sometimes his overall play was lacking. Defensive contribution is absolute 0. Perhaps because he was misused by Sherwood.

DDG was on my big list, idk if he makes it into a top 10. Despite being a keeper myself, I'll follow the masses and treat them like ****e lol
Original post by 419
True, I agree to an extent but, you can also say the same with Ozil and he did have a good start to the season and on paper with the genuine players around him, he'll be top 10 no doubt. But with these sort of list, you have to do away with the foot notes as it leaves room for bias and selective opinions.

But we're talking PL proven so Ozil wouldn't really be. He's proven with Ronaldo, Benzema and Di Maria around him, who are all a level above their Arsenal counterparts. He did well at the start of the season true, but not enough to be top 10 imo.

The thing with 'best players' lists is they always exclude keepers and defensive players. Really you'd have to find a space for Terry, Zabaleta and De Gea (at least) in any top 10.
So you'd have Suarez, Aguero, Toure, Silva, RVP, Ramsey. What would your other 4 be?

Probably Hazard, Fernandinho, Zabaleta. Unsure of the last one. Sturridge, Koscielny, Kompany, Mata all make cases. Yours?
Probably Hazard, Fernandinho, Zabaleta. Unsure of the last one. Sturridge, Koscielny, Kompany, Mata all make cases. Yours?

I'd have Mata, Terry, Zabaleta, Hazard.

I want to include De Gea as I feel keepers are discounted too much but I wouldn't know who to remove :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6235
But we're talking PL proven so Ozil wouldn't really be. He's proven with Ronaldo, Benzema and Di Maria around him, who are all a level above their Arsenal counterparts. He did well at the start of the season true, but not enough to be top 10 imo.

The thing with 'best players' lists is they always exclude keepers and defensive players. Really you'd have to find a space for Terry, Zabaleta and De Gea (at least) in any top 10.

Again no disagreement here. I'll also say that the united players shouldn't be considered because overall, they didn't perform well last season (majority of that to do with Moyes but it is what it is).

Well yeah, the ordinary people would ignore those players but we don't because we know it and I'd have those 3 players in my top 10. Along with Hazard, Kos, Yaya, Suarez, Sturidge, Gerrard and Rambo.

I don't think you can say RVP and Mata performed better than any of those lot overall this season. Fernandinho is probably next on the list and tbh. I'll probably have some of the Southampton lots before thinking of putting in any other United player.
Original post by baconbutty
did zurich say 25m for cazorla as well? he was bought for 15 and has probably regressed and is 29 years old

hes worth maybe 10-12mil

Cant see how Cazorla has regressed, he's just proven himself in another league hasnt he? He's not fast and so his technical skills will allow him to play until he's well into his 30s at a good level.

+ He was bought for £15m in a Malaga firesale, we payed all the cash up front and they were desperate.

If Mata and Ozil are £40m then Santi is £25m in anyones book.
Original post by 419
Again no disagreement here. I'll also say that the united players shouldn't be considered because overall, they didn't perform well last season (majority of that to do with Moyes but it is what it is).

Well yeah, the ordinary people would ignore those players but we don't because we know it and I'd have those 3 players in my top 10. Along with Hazard, Kos, Yaya, Suarez, Sturidge, Gerrard and Rambo.

I don't think you can say RVP and Mata performed better than any of those lot overall this season. Fernandinho is probably next on the list and tbh. I'll probably have some of the Southampton lots before thinking of putting in any other United player.

I suppose it depends how much weight you put on this season. If you're putting a lot of weight on it then I'd agree with you except removing Gerrard for Aguero.
Original post by Yawn-er
Probably been talked about endlessly - but how would you fit Wilshere-Ramsey-Cazorla-Ozil-Fabregas in the same midfield?

All decent quality. All similar players. Ramsey/Ozil/Fabregas are shoe-ins. Wilshere to lose out?

To be honest we wouldn't, but as has been mentioned we played a lot of games last season with Arteta-Flamini as our double pivot thanks to injuries which have become an inevitability. I don't think we'll struggle to give them games.

Theres Rosicky and Ox too of course. All of them are pretty versatile though, so long as we have one out and out winger the system shouldn't fall apart by playing one of them out wide which is why we need to keep Theo fit and get a new LW.

EDIT: Diaby too, technically.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
Cant see how Cazorla has regressed, he's just proven himself in another league hasnt he? He's not fast and so his technical skills will allow him to play until he's well into his 30s at a good level.

+ He was bought for £15m in a Malaga firesale, we payed all the cash up front and they were desperate.

If Mata and Ozil are £40m then Santi is £25m in anyones book.

mata and ozil are a lot better and 4-5 years younger than cazorla.

cazorla has had an awful season by his standards 25m for a 29 year old playing like he has been would be david luiz esque
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest