The Student Room Group

AQA A2 HISTORY: The Triumph of Elizabeth, 1547-1603 Offical Thread. 2nd June 2014.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Endless Blue
Can anyone summarise the following Foreign Policy events for me? Some of my notes are lacking detail.
- MQS situation in Scotland after 1560 but before flees to England in 1568. As I understand it, she returned as a ceremonial/figurehead monarch but Protestants rebel against her again?
Thank you.

She returned pretty reluctantly to Scotland yeah, she had an awful relationship with the Protestant Lords of the Congregation.

Ended up marrying Henry Stuart, Lord Darnley. (sidenote: This guy had a SUPER distant claim to the English throne so her marriage to him was seen as mad shady by Cecil etc. 'International Catholic Conspiracy' stuff)

Darnley was murdered in 1567 - his house had been blown up and his body was found in the garden all burnt etc. He had not been killed by the explosion and was subsequently strangled. Mary QOS and James Hepburn, the Earl of Bothwell, were suspected.

Bothwell whisked her away and married her 3 months later. Suspicions of their involvement in the murder of Darnley were confirmed for many when she married him.

The Lords of the Congregation rose up against her and imprisoned her (Bothwell left the country and died an alcoholic somewhere in Europe). She was locked up and made to give up the Scottish throne in favour of her son. She abdicated under force. Eventually she escaped prison and she fled to England.

Again basic but that's off the top of my head, couldn't find my notes on it… would again be interested in anyone else's additions?
Forge in policy came up last year to
Original post by bazinga123!
3 reigns on religion was last years question, so unlikely it will be on this year!

It could be on the puritans/Presbyterians or Catholics
Original post by MikeyLord
x

Both great, cheers!
What kind of questions could be asked regarding puritans?
What kind of questions could be asked regarding puritans?

How serious the threat was etc. Also potentially on how well Elizabeth dealt with them, as her ''rigidity created avoidable problems" - Warren. Then counter this with Whitgift's drive to end Puritanism.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 286
How serious the threat was etc. Also potentially on how well Elizabeth dealt with them, as her ''rigidity created avoidable problems" - Warren. Then counter this with Whitgift's drive to end Puritanism.

Posted from TSR Mobile

potentially a very nice question.

BTW, I am a private candidate (retaking to bump up my grade) silly question but when is the exam? My sheet says AM, so I'm assuming 10am?

EDIT Just checked, seems like it is 9am?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Dvdk1
potentially a very nice question.

BTW, I am a private candidate (retaking to bump up my grade) silly question but when is the exam? My sheet says AM, so I'm assuming 10am?

EDIT Just checked, seems like it is 9am?

Yeah would be beaut if it comes up.

Yes all AM exams in the UK are usually 9am afaik.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 288
Yeah would be beaut if it comes up.

Yes all AM exams in the UK are usually 9am afaik.

Posted from TSR Mobile

fantastic ha! cheers

I really hope puritans and Presbyterians come up. If foreign policy does, I may die lol. I wouldn't mind government and/or parliament.
She returned pretty reluctantly to Scotland yeah, she had an awful relationship with the Protestant Lords of the Congregation.

Ended up marrying Henry Stuart, Lord Darnley. (sidenote: This guy had a SUPER distant claim to the English throne so her marriage to him was seen as mad shady by Cecil etc. 'International Catholic Conspiracy' stuff)

Darnley was murdered in 1567 - his house had been blown up and his body was found in the garden all burnt etc. He had not been killed by the explosion and was subsequently strangled. Mary QOS and James Hepburn, the Earl of Bothwell, were suspected.

Bothwell whisked her away and married her 3 months later. Suspicions of their involvement in the murder of Darnley were confirmed for many when she married him.

The Lords of the Congregation rose up against her and imprisoned her (Bothwell left the country and died an alcoholic somewhere in Europe). She was locked up and made to give up the Scottish throne in favour of her son. She abdicated under force. Eventually she escaped prison and she fled to England.

Again basic but that's off the top of my head, couldn't find my notes on it… would again be interested in anyone else's additions?

Just to add to that- Basically MQS marries Darnley, but their marriage is over by 1566, he's murdered in 1567. Lords of the congregation feel intimidated by her and alot of them flee to England, this is bad for Elizabeth as it means English influence at scottish court is limited. In 1570 Moray basically lauches a coup against her, forces her to abdicate, give the throne to infant James VI and make him protector. However Moray is assassinated in 1570 and this leads to a civil war in Scotland with Catholics looking for help off the guises and Protestants looking to Elizabeth for help.
But yeah, Mary tries to raise an army but is defeated and captured, yet escapes and comes to England and is put under house arrest.
Reply 290
How is everyone approaching the essay in terms of a narrative/analytic approach?
I'm aiming to, throughout my essay to constantly attack (or agree) with the question- accessing its 'validity'. Using historian etc? Or is this not that important, I understand that the spec says historiography is not vital, I'll still use it though...

Also when it says synoptic? Something like this?

'cecil's blockage of the firth of forth- example of successful military conduct during scottish intervention, much more successful then somerset's garrisoning and failure to block resulting in french relief of edinburgh'

or 'the crisis of elizabeth's later reign- was not as bad a crisis as led to believe as it did not produce any significant public camping rebellion- as 1549 did''

or am i completely wrong lol.
Guys I cannot do the synoptic questions, it scares me way too much. Do you think its safer for me to ignore it?
I am gonna bomb the exam tomorrow.

im gonna fail despite my revision
Original post by bkd12345
Just to add to that- Basically MQS marries Darnley, but their marriage is over by 1566, he's murdered in 1567. Lords of the congregation feel intimidated by her and alot of them flee to England, this is bad for Elizabeth as it means English influence at scottish court is limited. In 1570 Moray basically lauches a coup against her, forces her to abdicate, give the throne to infant James VI and make him protector. However Moray is assassinated in 1570 and this leads to a civil war in Scotland with Catholics looking for help off the guises and Protestants looking to Elizabeth for help.
But yeah, Mary tries to raise an army but is defeated and captured, yet escapes and comes to England and is put under house arrest.

Pretty sure that moray forces her to abdicate in 67
Reply 294
Original post by Dvdk1
How is everyone approaching the essay in terms of a narrative/analytic approach?
I'm aiming to, throughout my essay to constantly attack (or agree) with the question- accessing its 'validity'. Using historian etc? Or is this not that important, I understand that the spec says historiography is not vital, I'll still use it though...

Also when it says synoptic? Something like this?

'cecil's blockage of the firth of forth- example of successful military conduct during scottish intervention, much more successful then somerset's garrisoning and failure to block resulting in french relief of edinburgh'

or 'the crisis of elizabeth's later reign- was not as bad a crisis as led to believe as it did not produce any significant public camping rebellion- as 1549 did''

or am i completely wrong lol.

I've always been told to avoid narrative :smile:
Reply 295
Original post by IllmaticDragon
I am gonna bomb the exam tomorrow.

im gonna fail despite my revision

No you're not. Everyone gets that feeling just before an exam. If it goes all wrong, just write everything you can think of. You'll do fine. :wink:
Hey guys, I've still got Elizabeth's foreign policy and religious policy to revise. Which one do you think I should focus more on? France seems to be the popular bet on what will come up, so I'm wandering if that's best? HELP!!! I've done rebellions and government in her reign but not these two sections.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 297
Could anyone clarify the Elizabeth-Anjou negotiations please? When did they start, 1569 or 1579 as I can't find any clear explanation? Also, was it with the same man, or did the Duke that Elizabeth had the first negotiations with become king, then the next set of negotiations was with the Duke on Alencon turned Anjou?

I'd be really grateful for any help, I find this so confusing!
I was thinking that it might be possible for a question to come up on Edward and Mary in relation to their policies in general. So under this you can talk about A LOT of their different policies. Seems pretty easy though and I'm not sure the examiners will be kind.
Reply 299
how would everyone go about a question relating to how effectively Elizabeth dealt with the Puritans? think this would be much harder than a question on the threat of them

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending