The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Thought I might try reviving this thread for 2014 entry. I applied for Liberal Arts in the 2013 entry cycle, but didn't complete the course I was on, so reapplied in this cycle (currently doing Access to HE). Hoping to major in English. Anyone else? :smile:
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 81
Hello everyone!

I'm a current Liberal Arts student now, just thought I would put myself forward in case anyone had any questions at all! :smile: I'll be happy to answer them here or PM me if you'd rather!
Reply 82
Original post by haninori
Hello everyone!

I'm a current Liberal Arts student now, just thought I would put myself forward in case anyone had any questions at all! :smile: I'll be happy to answer them here or PM me if you'd rather!

Hey, thanks :smile: how are you finding the course so far?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have you visited yet? :smile: I had a hard time choosing between Exeter, Birmingham and King's College London. I ended up choosing Exeter as my firm choice because the campus is beautiful, the course is more flexible and the students are friendly. It's not got Kings' reputation/prestige, but I reckon I'll be happier there (even if it is 5 hours away)! :biggrin:
Original post by Nomad0
Thought I might try reviving this thread for 2014 entry. I applied for Liberal Arts in the 2013 entry cycle, but didn't complete the course I was on, so reapplied in this cycle (currently doing Access to HE). Hoping to major in English. Anyone else? :smile:
Reply 84
Original post by inloveinlondon
Have you visited yet? :smile: I had a hard time choosing between Exeter, Birmingham and King's College London. I ended up choosing Exeter as my firm choice because the campus is beautiful, the course is more flexible and the students are friendly. It's not got Kings' reputation/prestige, but I reckoned I'll be happier there (even if it is 5 hours away)! :biggrin:

Yes! It's lovely :yes: have you?
I agree (except I didn't have a hard time choosing). I'm really looking forward to going :biggrin:
Five hours? :eek: Where do you live? (if you don't mind me asking)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nomad0

Hey! I'm going to be doing Liberal Arts in September 2014 and probably majoring in English too. I can't wait to start, Exeter is just perfect. I didn't apply in 2013 and took a gap year...Although it turns out those are expensive so it's been more of a mixture of work and mini breaks haha! :smile:
Reply 86
Original post by Nomad0
Hey, thanks :smile: how are you finding the course so far?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello! Sorry for the delay in response, I've had 4,500 words due this week and only just handed in the last chunk of them :wink:

It's been pretty good over all! I think next year will be an improvement too, as I'm on the SSLC (student-staff committee) and we've been making some excellent changes for you guys next year!

You'll be able to choose 2/3 of the core modules and have loads of spare credits to play around wherever you want, as far as I'm aware, so it'll be great for you guys! We've been quite constrained this year in comparison, but we're all excited for next year where we get to start our majors! :biggrin:

I would say, try out as many different modules as possible in first year from different departments (choose 15 ones) so you can make an informed decision about your majors, as some people struggled to do so because we didn't have that opportunity to try out modules in our first year like you guys will!

If you have any specific questions about the modules or whatever, let me know! :biggrin:
Reply 87
Original post by EllsBells-
Hey! I'm going to be doing Liberal Arts in September 2014 and probably majoring in English too. I can't wait to start, Exeter is just perfect. I didn't apply in 2013 and took a gap year...Although it turns out those are expensive so it's been more of a mixture of work and mini breaks haha! :smile:

Cool! How's the gap year going? Did you go to any of the visit days?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 88
Hello! Sorry for the delay in response, I've had 4,500 words due this week and only just handed in the last chunk of them :wink:

It's been pretty good over all! I think next year will be an improvement too, as I'm on the SSLC (student-staff committee) and we've been making some excellent changes for you guys next year!

You'll be able to choose 2/3 of the core modules and have loads of spare credits to play around wherever you want, as far as I'm aware, so it'll be great for you guys! We've been quite constrained this year in comparison, but we're all excited for next year where we get to start our majors! :biggrin:

I would say, try out as many different modules as possible in first year from different departments (choose 15 ones) so you can make an informed decision about your majors, as some people struggled to do so because we didn't have that opportunity to try out modules in our first year like you guys will!

If you have any specific questions about the modules or whatever, let me know! :biggrin:

Awesome :smile: thank you very much for improving the course for us :smile:. Do you have any recommendations for the core modules (I'm now not sure which two I would pick :biggrin:) what are they like and which do you prefer?
Also did you take a language or quantitative methodology and how's that going?
Ooh and what are you thinking of majoring in?
Also (last one) have your opinions about the course changed since you started? And what are assignments like and how are they submitted?
And what are the lecturers and teaching like? (okay that was the last one, sorry for the attack)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nomad0
Cool! How's the gap year going? Did you go to any of the visit days?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's going well, been to New York which was amazing! Really just ready to start at uni now though. I went to the offer holder visit day in March which was great, love that the course has changed so we get more choice, thats what I liked about the course at Birmingham but I preferred the campus at Exeter. What do you think of it? What does your access course involve at the moment? :smile:
Reply 90
Original post by EllsBells-
It's going well, been to New York which was amazing! Really just ready to start at uni now though. I went to the offer holder visit day in March which was great, love that the course has changed so we get more choice, thats what I liked about the course at Birmingham but I preferred the campus at Exeter. What do you think of it? What does your access course involve at the moment? :smile:

That sounds awesome!
I went in March too. I was really happy with the increase in choice as now i can take the modules I want to :smile: I think the campus is absolutely lovely can't wait to get there!! :smile:
Have you applied for accommodation yet? If so where have you applied?
My Access course includes drama, creative writing, literature and film studies, along with study skills. It's really good but really tough - loadsa work to do in just over a month but I'm really enjoying it. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nomad0
That sounds awesome!
I went in March too. I was really happy with the increase in choice as now i can take the modules I want to :smile: I think the campus is absolutely lovely can't wait to get there!! :smile:
Have you applied for accommodation yet? If so where have you applied?
My Access course includes drama, creative writing, literature and film studies, along with study skills. It's really good but really tough - loadsa work to do in just over a month but I'm really enjoying it. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That sounds like a full on course! I applied for Lafrowda, Birks Grange Village and Rowe House, what about you? Gonna have some serious leg muscles when we get there, SO MANY HILLS. It nearly killed me I swear haha :biggrin:
Could I ask you guys what the deciding factors were in applying for the Exeter course rather than the Birmingham one (if you did so)?
The uni!!! Exeter is top 10 B'ham just doesn't make that standard. Exeter is gorgeous as well. Birmingham has great flexibity but on the Ex open day, I found out that Ex has the flexibility to practically do whatever but they don't like to advertise it as a 'do whatever you like' degree. Ex also strongly suggests subjects be linked, and I think the core modules are a lot more interesting.
Saying that, B'ham was my second choice (over Kings College London) so I undersand the appeal
Original post by thelyphron
Could I ask you guys what the deciding factors were in applying for the Exeter course rather than the Birmingham one (if you did so)?
Sorry for the absolutely ridiculous late reply
Basildon, Essex.

Have you joined the official Exeter freshers group on facebook?

Original post by Nomad0
Yes! It's lovely :yes: have you?
I agree (except I didn't have a hard time choosing). I'm really looking forward to going :biggrin:
Five hours? :eek: Where do you live? (if you don't mind me asking)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello everyone!

Hi there,

Does Exeter ask for a sepatate Liberal Arts-only personal statement?
Hi there,

And do they interview?
Reply 97
Hi there,

And do they interview?

They don't but you can send one in if you want or need to.

I think they hold interviews for certain courses and applicants but I'm not sure that Liberal Arts is one of them (I'm an Access course student so I figured they probably would've interviewed me but they didn't).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by inloveinlondon
Ex has the flexibility to practically do whatever but they don't like to advertise it as a 'do whatever you like' degree. Ex also strongly suggests subjects be linked, and I think the core modules are a lot more interesting.

I really like the look of the Liberal Arts course, as I'd be able to study a wider range of subjects than is possible with the spare modules of a normal degree, and being able to incorporate work experience e.g. at the BBC into the course would be brill.

However, I'm applying for Classics+English elswhere, so my personal statement will be orientated towards those two subjects, and Exeter already has a joint honours Classical Studies and English course.

I'm wondering whether Ex would find it strange for me to apply for Liberal Arts instead of joint honours?
I've just got an offer for this through clearing (I'm a very late applicant - just had a random epiphany, about to quit my job to do this) and I'm just doing a final look around to check it's what I want, and was very happy to see this thread. :biggrin: Biting my nails because technically I'm a mature student at the soaring age of 21.

Hello everyone!

Thanks so much for offering your help. Is the course what you expected it to be? Are you finding it a useful degree in terms of the future? Thanks :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending