The Student Room Group

WJEC AS ICT - 2nd June

Thread for anyone doing this exam. Hows revision going? Feeling confident?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Feeling okay. Lets go through everything.

Data is raw facts and figures that has been produced by an event or transaction for example 20, 32, 35, 19. Information is data that has been processed by a computer system and given context for example the numbers 20, 32, 35, 19 are the scores individuals have gained in a swimming race. Finally knowledge is derived from information by applying rules to it for example the person with the highest score in the swimming race wins. Person with score of 35 has the highest score and thus they are the knowledge. (draw table and label ABCD)

We encode data to reduce the risk of transcription errors as it requires less keystrokes to key the data into the computer system. Encoded data also means that less hard disk space is required and means that the data is more consistent. Also the data is faster to key in and takes less space on the screen. However encoded data causes value judgements to arise for example if Tesco produced a questionnaire with a question 'how good is the egg fried rice from scale 1 to 5' then someones 3 could be another persons 5 hence encoding causes inconsistency. Encoding data can coarsen the data. For example if someone has light brown hair and another person has mousey brown hair then this would fall under the brown category and so a loss of precision is apparent.

Organisations require good quality information this must accurate, up to date, complete, understandable, relevant and correctly targeted. They need this in order to spot trends, aid decision making process, gain competitive edge, target resources effectively. If they don't have this then following could arise: Mail shots e.g if company does not have up to date information on customer addresses and uses this information to send letters to these customers then letters may end up at houses where customers no longer live which could be frustrating to individuals that do not have anything to do with the organisation. Also if customers are deceased this could cause heartache to family resulting in reputation of the company being destroyed....Make up examples on marketing e.g need complete information on sales of products in order to make decisions on the marketing mix...

Ict systems have; Fast repetitive processing, large data storage capacity, ability to produce different output formats, fast speed of data communication and fast speed of searching...

Validation-making sure that data entered into a computer system is reasonable
Range check, Presence check, Length check, Format check...
Verification- checking that information is accurately copied from one medium to another.

CAD/CAM- Rotate, stress/strain, wire drawing, walkthough, hatching and rendering, costings, clip art CAD IS AMAZING!

bar code is a series of white and dark bars with differing widths with a barcode number printed underneath that can be used if the barcode is faulty...bar code scanned, code matched on stock database, one of that product deducted from number in stock level, price sent to POS where itemised reciept is produced. When the number in stock level falls below the reorder level the database will automatically instigate a reorder for a certain amount of that product to be reordered to the store hence enabling TESCO to benifit from JIT! More products sold on shop floor as products are delivered when needed, staff are free to do other tasks instead of constantly checking if stock is low, money from customers account transferred straight to tescos bank account so have the money as soon as customers pay, Allows better targetting for example if customers use loyalty cards they can monitor spending patterns and thus target resources effectively which could boost sales...........

CAL, CBT, revision programs, blogs, chat rooms, video conferencing, e.t.c

Cannot write everything would be here all day. :smile:
Reply 2
Spreadsheet part is the weak area. Do you have any good examples for spreadsheet? :smile:
Reply 3
Thank you so much Fryerdah, your contribution is greatly appreciated :biggrin:
I feel kind of overwhelmed, I'm retaking the exam and haven't spent enough time revising it.
My weakness is section B and the Computer Misuse act stuff, just can't make it stay in my head.
Make sure to read the Examiner's Reports, so that you know EXACTLY how they want you to answer the question! :smile:
Reply 4
Your welcome and I also struggle on those areas sometimes too. For questions involving the Data protection act, computer misuse act and copyright and patents act.

I have noticed that past paper questions always look for stuff like phising where criminals can create a website that looks similar to the original bank website where the customer will enter their personal details to access their account as normal However this will give the criminals access to their account as they will ascertain their details where they can use it to purchase products for themselves over the internet so identity theft is apparent. The other one is where unauthoised users could transfer the funds from the customers bank account to another location e.g the criminals bank account and so making unauthorised changes to the account.

Also remember key database terms as they sometimes come up.

Query is when you search a database to find some information

Report is the output of a database in which results are presented in a way that is controlled by the user

Import/export- ability to transfer information from one software application to another
Reply 5
Original post by fryerdah

Data is raw facts and figures that has been produced by an event or transaction for example 20, 32, 35, 19. Information is data that has been processed by a computer system and given context for example the numbers 20, 32, 35, 19 are the scores individuals have gained in a swimming race. Finally knowledge is derived from information by applying rules to it for example the person with the highest score in the swimming race wins. Person with score of 35 has the highest score and thus they are the knowledge. (draw table and label ABCD)

Regarding your example of the swimming race it's best to say that the data is: L1 47.4, L2 48.1, L3 54.8 and L4 56.9. Information is that these are times from a swimming race and the knowledge is that the swimmer in lane 1 won.

This is one of the examples it shows in the markscheme so it's best to just do it exactly how it is shown in the markscheme. Also, the person with the quickest time wins in a swimming race, not the person with the highest score so you might lose marks for that. Sorry if that came across as quite brash, it wasn't intentional
Reply 6
Thankyou my good friend. Your a life saver. :smile:
Reply 7
I managed an A on this exam just from rote learning mark schemes. Unfortunately it is the only way to do well, so as-long as you write your definitions from those, you're good to go :smile:
Reply 8
How'd everyone do in their coursework???
Reply 9
Original post by 08bones
How'd everyone do in their coursework???

79/80, the mark I lost was in the evaluation. I don't mind though, means I need to get around 70% on this exam to get an A overall.
Reply 10
I too got 79 out of 80. Aim for for 90 percent! I know you can do it! :smile:
Reply 11
Woah well done guys! I got 77/80. Do you know what percentage I need to get to still get an A overall?
Reply 12
Original post by 08bones
Woah well done guys! I got 77/80. Do you know what percentage I need to get to still get an A overall?

I got 78/80. Well done everyone! I also want to know how much of the exam I can mess up and still get my A. I've been pretty depressed and demotivated. Minimal revision done. -sigh- :/
Reply 13
Original post by Kealohi
I got 78/80. Well done everyone! I also want to know how much of the exam I can mess up and still get my A. I've been pretty depressed and demotivated. Minimal revision done. -sigh- :/

I think on the WJEC website you can work it out with the raw grade boundaries and UMS marks. I had a look but it was super confusing and didn't really understand what it was telling me haha
Reply 14
Original post by 08bones
I think on the WJEC website you can work it out with the raw grade boundaries and UMS marks. I had a look but it was super confusing and didn't really understand what it was telling me haha

Yep same here! What even is a UMS? (feeling stupid)
Reply 15
Original post by Kealohi
Yep same here! What even is a UMS? (feeling stupid)

Noo, don't feel stupid!

"The Uniform Mark Scale (UMS) is a way of turning the raw marks achieved in a unit in a particular sitting into a mark that can be used to compare with those achieved in other series.
The UMS balances out differences between exams and is a way of making sure people get the correct grade, no matter when they took a particular unit. UMS marks from all the units are then added together to give you an overall mark for your qualification.
If two students got a raw mark of 42/50 on their exams, but the June exam was more difficult than the January sitting, then their marks wouldn't represent the same level of achievement. The UMS mark would reflect this. " Copy and pasted from the AQA website.
Last year you needed to get 160 UMS from your coursework (IT2) and the exam we're doing tomorrow (IT1) to get an A overall at AS. This means that you can work out roughly how many marks you need from IT1 by subtracting the UMS you got from the coursework from 160. You can work out how many UMS you got for your coursework by finding your raw mark on here, but to save you time I've checked for you.

For people who got 77/80 on the coursework, you get 72 UMS and therefore you need 88 UMS(ish) on the IT1 exam to get an A. People who got 78/80 get 75 UMS and so need 85 UMS on the IT1 exam to get an A.

To work out how many marks you need on the IT1 exam you use the link I posted earlier in the post to find the mark that gives you the closest UMS to the amount you need. If you got 77 on the coursework that means you need to get about 59/80 (74%) on the IT1 exam and if you got 78 it's around 57 (71%).

Bear in mind that this is using last summer's grade boundaries and so you made need more or less marks to get that magic A come results day. Also, your teachers may not have marked your coursework 100% accurately and so this will also affect how many marks you need.
Reply 17
Original post by DavidCo.
Last year you needed to get 160 UMS from your coursework (IT2) and the exam we're doing tomorrow (IT1) to get an A overall at AS. This means that you can work out roughly how many marks you need from IT1 by subtracting the UMS you got from the coursework from 160. You can work out how many UMS you got for your coursework by finding your raw mark on here, but to save you time I've checked for you.

For people who got 77/80 on the coursework, you get 72 UMS and therefore you need 88 UMS(ish) on the IT1 exam to get an A. People who got 78/80 get 75 UMS and so need 85 UMS on the IT1 exam to get an A.

To work out how many marks you need on the IT1 exam you use the link I posted earlier in the post to find the mark that gives you the closest UMS to the amount you need. If you got 77 on the coursework that means you need to get about 59/80 (74%) on the IT1 exam and if you got 78 it's around 57 (71%).

Bear in mind that this is using last summer's grade boundaries and so you made need more or less marks to get that magic A come results day. Also, your teachers may not have marked your coursework 100% accurately and so this will also affect how many marks you need.

Aw thank you! This was a lot of help!
Reply 18
i got 80/80 on my coursework but we literally spent the whole year doing coursework and only about 3 weeks on the theory and my teacher told us that the coursework counted for 60% of the AS and theory only 40% whereas its the other way round! I'm kinda nervous for this exam :s-smilie:
Reply 19
Also, does anyone know the difference between EFTPOS and EPOS, i don't understand the difference it seems like the same thing to me

Quick Reply

Latest