The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not feeling great about it because i can't get my head around all the diagrams and evaluations.
Reply 2
How would you split up timing for the EC3 and EC4 papers. As in for EC4, is it better to spend an hour and a half on the data response then half an hour on the essays?
Reply 3
Original post by Gluv01
Not feeling great about it because i can't get my head around all the diagrams and evaluations.

I know it's terrible and the exam board are so inconsistent!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Gibby12
How would you split up timing for the EC3 and EC4 papers. As in for EC4, is it better to spend an hour and a half on the data response then half an hour on the essays?

I think it says on the start of the paper? I've not done m ya past papers as I plan to learn the knowledge first. But I think for Ec3 1 hour on the shorter questions and 45 minutes for the essay. ec4 I'm not sure!

Have you got any predictions on what might come up?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I'm predicting a monopoly essay and a development essay. That's it so far
Reply 6
We've not really covered development in depth! I'm hoping for an oligopoly essay

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Regarding development, all you will probably need to know is protectionism (eg sunrise firms, quotas) , reasons they need developing (eg lack of skills, lack of capital, debt), benefits/methods to develops (eg strategic industries, benefits of multinationals) and the the negatives of developing methods (eg if given aid having to pay it back, multinationals shutting up shop and moving). An essay on development has come up every year since the new syllabus was introduced.

Not recommending question spotting but Perfect competition was last year, oligopoly the year before that and then monopoly before that so monopoly could be due if a pattern is kept which the examiner is prone to. Economic growth should also come up as an essay regarding him keeping to patterns.
Reply 8
Original post by Gibby12
Regarding development, all you will probably need to know is protectionism (eg sunrise firms, quotas) , reasons they need developing (eg lack of skills, lack of capital, debt), benefits/methods to develops (eg strategic industries, benefits of multinationals) and the the negatives of developing methods (eg if given aid having to pay it back, multinationals shutting up shop and moving). An essay on development has come up every year since the new syllabus was introduced.

Not recommending question spotting but Perfect competition was last year, oligopoly the year before that and then monopoly before that so monopoly could be due if a pattern is kept which the examiner is prone to. Economic growth should also come up as an essay regarding him keeping to patterns.

Economic growth would be be a nice essay! Have you guys been told to use your own real life data? My teacher said this is good way to get marks? As As I didn't use any real life data except for what was given in the data for the exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Could you give an example?
I've seen an economic growth question twice in the 20 markers, I wouldn't count on it coming up.
Reply 11
How do you guys structure 20 mark essays and 12 mark essays for ec4?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
- Intro (Definitions, brief explanation)
- Arguments for (3-4)
- Arguments against (3-4)
- Synoptic conclusion (Easiest way is to bring in 4 aims of government)
Reply 13
Original post by Gibby12
- Intro (Definitions, brief explanation)
- Arguments for (3-4)
- Arguments against (3-4)
- Synoptic conclusion (Easiest way is to bring in 4 aims of government)

That many paragraphs? I guess each school gets taught differently, we've told intro (same as yours) p, but 3-4 paragraphs each with evaluation then a conclusion like yours.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
I just realised that EC3 essays are micro and EC4 essays are macro
Reply 15
On EC3 I can pretty much guarantee there'll be a market structures essay (My money's on monopoly) and with EC4 there's been a development question every year since the new syllabus which I can only expect to continue.
Reply 16
Original post by Gibby12
On EC3 I can pretty much guarantee there'll be a market structures essay (My money's on monopoly) and with EC4 there's been a development question every year since the new syllabus which I can only expect to continue.

My money is on monopoly too :-)
for the last essay question i did the second one about market concentration ratio but only wrote about monopoly instead of oligopoly, do you still think i'll get a decent mark? I thought monopoly had a 100% market concentration ratio
Reply 18
Omg it was oligopoly I was right! How did everyone find the exam?:smile: I felt it was okay but struggled on the inflation question!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by harriet1504
for the last essay question i did the second one about market concentration ratio but only wrote about monopoly instead of oligopoly, do you still think i'll get a decent mark? I thought monopoly had a 100% market concentration ratio

What the wording of the question? I can remember it? I talked about oligopolies.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending