The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MATHSPOW!!
Canterbury is renowned for it's teaching courses...

It is nowhere near as good as doing a straight maths degree from a respectable redbrick university. You would be unlikely to be short-listed at the school where I teach.
You're not even in 6th form yet so I wouldn't worry at all just yet (though it's good you are thinking of your future - I didn't know I wanted to be a teacher until 2nd year of Uni).

It's hard to say what the teacher training routes will look like in 3 years time or so, the PGCE as we know it is starting to be phased out and it looks like Schools Direct will usurp it. I don't know too much about Schools Direct so someone else could fill you in there.

In terms of boosting your application when the time comes I can only echo what others have said - get experience in schools observing teachers once you finish A level, if you can do anything else like helping pupils with their maths while you are at school yourself then that can only be a good thing as well. Your A levels should be your priority though and if you dream of being a Maths teacher then do a maths degree, enjoy being a student but work hard as well, get a first and you will have a 20,000 pound bursary :wink:

Good luck.
Original post by Steveluis10
You're not even in 6th form yet so I wouldn't worry at all just yet (though it's good you are thinking of your future - I didn't know I wanted to be a teacher until 2nd year of Uni).

It's hard to say what the teacher training routes will look like in 3 years time or so, the PGCE as we know it is starting to be phased out and it looks like Schools Direct will usurp it. I don't know too much about Schools Direct so someone else could fill you in there.

In terms of boosting your application when the time comes I can only echo what others have said - get experience in schools observing teachers once you finish A level, if you can do anything else like helping pupils with their maths while you are at school yourself then that can only be a good thing as well. Your A levels should be your priority though and if you dream of being a Maths teacher then do a maths degree, enjoy being a student but work hard as well, get a first and you will have a 20,000 pound bursary :wink:

Good luck.

20,000 sounds pretty nice.
Back for the final 12 days tomorrow! Even though I know it will go quick I'm really dreading it! I have enough material to get me through this week but next week is going to be a struggle (though my year 8 class will do an assessment if all goes to plan so that should take 2 lessons). I just need another 1 in one of my standards to come out as an outstanding trainee at the final review which is in 2 weeks so going to aim to really hit the behaviour, differentiation or assessment standard in this final run in but not bothered if I come out just as good really.

We've been given an NQT starter pack which we have to fill in for Uni and it then gets passed on to our mentor in September. All becoming very real.

Which standard do you think you're gonna focus on?

I'd go for differentiation or assessment, behaviour is ALWAYS hard! Assessment you could show very effectively as you could record things in tables and write on your plans where you've used assessment. But also diffn. is obviously easy to show in plans and annotate when you change it as you go.

xxx
Original post by carnationlilyrose
It is nowhere near as good as doing a straight maths degree from a respectable redbrick university. You would be unlikely to be short-listed at the school where I teach.

I agree with this you are much better doing a maths degree and then going into teaching, it will benefit you in the long run.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MATHSPOW!!
20,000 sounds pretty nice.

Best in mind that the bursaries for postgraduate teacher training change every year so this isn't by any means guarenteed to be the amount you get. But I would echo the other advice you've been given. Do a maths degree first and gain a solid knowledge and understanding of your subject. If, in a few years, you don't want to teach anymore then you can do many other things.
Original post by kpwxx
Which standard do you think you're gonna focus on?

I'd go for differentiation or assessment, behaviour is ALWAYS hard! Assessment you could show very effectively as you could record things in tables and write on your plans where you've used assessment. But also diffn. is obviously easy to show in plans and annotate when you change it as you go.

xxx

Thing is, I've focused on differentiation loads this year and had it as my observed focus countless times, I've had a few 2s for it but never a one. Behaviour I got a 1 2 weeks ago so I'm hoping that my mentor might push this standard up to a 1 at the final review.

I'll probably focus on assessment and use things like DIRT time and assessment feedback to try and push that standard up.
Thing is, I've focused on differentiation loads this year and had it as my observed focus countless times, I've had a few 2s for it but never a one. Behaviour I got a 1 2 weeks ago so I'm hoping that my mentor might push this standard up to a 1 at the final review.

I'll probably focus on assessment and use things like DIRT time and assessment feedback to try and push that standard up.

Your course seems so organised, lol. I've never been told a specific focus for any of my observations, and my final grades are just based on the general opinions of my mentor!
Original post by Shelly_x
Best in mind that the bursaries for postgraduate teacher training change every year so this isn't by any means guarenteed to be the amount you get. But I would echo the other advice you've been given. Do a maths degree first and gain a solid knowledge and understanding of your subject. If, in a few years, you don't want to teach anymore then you can do many other things.

By the time I come to apply to uni I guess then I can make my mind up haha :smile:

Ah well if you're on the way with behaviour that's maybe the way to go, or assessment like you say. I guess it depends a lot on how much this depends on final observations, and how much on ongoing evidence etc.

Well good luck with whichever you choose :smile:
5 days of enrichment and 2 days at uni left. Then I'm done!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by outlaw-torn
5 days of enrichment and 2 days at uni left. Then I'm done!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Similar here. 5 days at school, one or two at uni next week and that's it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ugh. Manic return after half term - the usual teacher wasn't in for my year 8 class so I took them with a supply teacher in the room and they were just nothing like they usually are. To be fair it was last lesson and my lesson wasn't the greatest it could have been but I had rudeness, silliness, had to move one girl and even those that I can always rely on started to be a bit chatty.

11 days and counting.
Ugh. Manic return after half term - the usual teacher wasn't in for my year 8 class so I took them with a supply teacher in the room and they were just nothing like they usually are. To be fair it was last lesson and my lesson wasn't the greatest it could have been but I had rudeness, silliness, had to move one girl and even those that I can always rely on started to be a bit chatty.

11 days and counting.

First day back after a holiday is always tricky. They want to tell each other what they've been doing. Tomorrow will be better.
You're in the home stretch now, guys! :rave:
Original post by Piggsil
You're in the home stretch now, guys! :rave:

Yeah but yet to secure a job!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Started my new job today. Being eased in by the teacher who is leaving, who is also my old mentor, so it's not too bad. Slightly terrified about the amount of information about exam boards etc that was given to me today though.
(edited 9 years ago)
Started my me job today. Being eased in by the teacher who is leaving, who is also my old mentor, so it's not too bad. Slightly terrified about the amount of information about exam boards etc that was given to me today though.

Have you finished your PGCE course already?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by qwerty_mad
Have you finished your PGCE course already?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup, my Schools Direct course finished before May half-term.
Yup, my Schools Direct course finished before May half-term.

Oh yeah, you're on Schools Direct. Lucky you. I still have a week at school, to write an essay and then a few days at uni which includes having to deliver a presentation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest