The Student Room Group

AQA 3A The Angevin Kings of England: British Monarchy, 1154–1216 HIS3A

Decided to start a more appropriately titled thread so it's easier to find.

This is a general thread for the exam on 2nd June 2014 so ask any questions

For me I think John and Becket will come up. John with the loss of the empire/Normandy possibly.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, I am also doing this exam, I was thinking and hoping Becket would also come up. Do you have any revision resources which would be of help?

Another question I think that would come up is to what extent were the lands of the Angevin kings an empire.
Reply 2
Yeah that hasn't come up before. For the scope question there's a possibility of Eleanor, Anti-Semitism and conflicts with Barons coming up.

Apparently the exam board bases their exams mostly on David Carpenter's book, The Struggle For Mastery so if you can get a hold of that or just simply any extracts then it will help. For my revision I'm just using a load of historian's books my college has provided me with, do you not have any resources form college?
Reply 3
Also the way I revise is to write down loads of sheets of dissected information from the books, then on a separate sheet I put all the information in to different themes for possible essay questions. So for example with causes of anti-Semitism you would have: Religious, Alienation, Financial, Conflicts with the Angevin despotism etc
Reply 4
Yeah I have quite a few books such as Barlow, Huscroft, Carpentar, Warren etc and my notes but I just meant as in any power point presentations or anything which may be of use. I wouldn't mind a question on anti semitism!
Reply 5
I'm using more or less the same technique but doing essay plans so I'm prepared for the questions.
Reply 6
I've pretty much kept myself to the resources given, I'm suer there's documentaries on Youtube but there probably not worth the time watching compared to how much info you'd get out of it. If you google a question then I'm sure you'd come up with some revision resources but as I say I'm just using what my college gave me.

What grade are you aiming for?
Reply 7
Aiming for an A, yourself?
Reply 8
I'm hoping for an A* but will settle for an A
Reply 9
Best of luck to you mate.
Reply 10
You too.
I can only find three past papers for this online, does anyone know if there are any more available anywhere?

There's always a church-related question whether it's a breadth or a depth one and I'm hoping for a John question seeing as there wasn't one last year, the three papers I found went Richard-John-Richard with Henry remaining a consistent one but I have no idea, my teachers are pretty useless.
Reply 12
There's always been a church question and always a Henry II question. Becket hasn't come up in a while so I reckon they'll do a Becket one. Then hopefully a John one because it's gone John, Richard, John, Richard before.

Use this link to find a past paper http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/exams-guidance/find-past-papers-and-mark-schemes then once you've got the massive list of papers press ctrl+f then type 3A and it should search the page for all the Angevin papers.

Can anyone think of much to write to achieve an A* for a nature of the empire question?
Reply 13
I'm praying a question on Becket arises. Warren, Boussard, Hallam and Carpentar are very good for the empire question. Remember Kate Norget coined the term.
Thanks for the help but I have already used those past papers, was wondering if anyone knew the 2010 questions as I couldn't find them.

I've heard Becket has came up twice so do you still think it would be likely to come up?

So nervous for tomorrow!
Original post by kiz1
Hi, I am also doing this exam, I was thinking and hoping Becket would also come up. Do you have any revision resources which would be of help?

Another question I think that would come up is to what extent were the lands of the Angevin kings an empire.

How would you guys structure that if it came up? :s (and what would you put in it?)

Original post by clbroomfield
Thanks for the help but I have already used those past papers, was wondering if anyone knew the 2010 questions as I couldn't find them.

I've heard Becket has came up twice so do you still think it would be likely to come up?

So nervous for tomorrow!

I'm nervous too!
2010 questions - Becket's death a victory for H II, Eleanor of Aquitaine achieved little significance…and Magna Carta a baronial reaction to the personal behaviour of John.

I was thinking that a question to do with the Capetians could come up?
Original post by jellybellys
How would you guys structure that if it came up? :s (and what would you put in it?)

I'm nervous too!
2010 questions - Becket's death a victory for H II, Eleanor of Aquitaine achieved little significance…and Magna Carta a baronial reaction to the personal behaviour of John.

I was thinking that a question to do with the Capetians could come up?

Thank you so much, you're a life saver!

I'd doubt the Capetians as it's not really on the syllabus, it would be like their involvement in a particular event - e.g Normandy's fall so then that would be compared to john's personality and the situation Richard left him in.

I'm thinking a John question - hopefully fall of Normandy as that hasn't came up yet. There's always a church one and a breadth one but I don't know what it could be! :confused:
Hi can some please help me! I am so stressed out about John and Normandy as well as the Angevin Empire question, does anyone have an essay/ essay plan they can send me???
Original post by clbroomfield
Thank you so much, you're a life saver!

I'd doubt the Capetians as it's not really on the syllabus, it would be like their involvement in a particular event - e.g Normandy's fall so then that would be compared to john's personality and the situation Richard left him in.

I'm thinking a John question - hopefully fall of Normandy as that hasn't came up yet. There's always a church one and a breadth one but I don't know what it could be! :confused:

Ah okay.
Hopefully Normandy yeah! I'm not sure what church question would come up either :/ it's such a hard paper!
I'm also confused about what to write on a nature of the empire question? :s-smilie:
Original post by jellybellys
Ah okay.
Hopefully Normandy yeah! I'm not sure what church question would come up either :/ it's such a hard paper!
I'm also confused about what to write on a nature of the empire question? :s-smilie:

I'm going to make an essay plan for it. Include the definition of an empire in the introduction and compare the Plantagenets' lands to this.

Compare economic and administrative unity
Comparison of customs/ culture - wasn't a common language.
Henry's intentions - never tried to make it an empire

that's what my teacher said but there's so much historical debate surrounding it. She sent me a topic sheet with it all on but an essay on it will be irritating

Quick Reply

Latest