The Student Room Group
Libeskind Graduate Centre
London Metropolitan University
London

london met or uel

I know I will get a lot of negative comments regarding these universities, however I am in a dilemma. I was actually given an extremely easy offer at the university of Edinburgh for academic year 13/14. Once firmly accepting this offer I became complacent and did the minimum work needed, not taking in to consideration whether I would hate being so far from London, or even enjoy the course (dental hygiene and therapy). I have left the course as I did not enjoy the practical at all, but now due to my qualifications, I am limited on the unis I can apply to. I was just wondering if anybody has any advice on which university has a better reputation. UEL or London Met. Honest advice on the academics would be appreciated. I do not care so much for the age or ethnicity of most people at these unis. Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Uel has a slightly better rep. I've visited both universities and london met just doesn't seem to have a university feel to it at all. Uel was a bit better and they have a wider variety of societies and social events throughout the year, the accommodation is also cheaper. London met is local to me and the area is really bad but the prices are still sky high.
Libeskind Graduate Centre
London Metropolitan University
London
Original post by alapa
Uel has a slightly better rep. I've visited both universities and london met just doesn't seem to have a university feel to it at all. Uel was a bit better and they have a wider variety of societies and social events throughout the year, the accommodation is also cheaper. London met is local to me and the area is really bad but the prices are still sky high.

Thanks for the reply. When I check the Guardian rankings London Met ranks higher, but I guess they aren't far apart. I appreciate your input. Thanks.
Reply 3
Original post by maryamlondon
Thanks for the reply. When I check the Guardian rankings London Met ranks higher, but I guess they aren't far apart. I appreciate your input. Thanks.

No problem, I applied to uel and london met myself and they get alot of stick because they are new unis and cater for students from a non traditional background but not everyone can go to college and get amazing grades, sometimes reallife gets in the way!

Some of the science facilities at london met are world class. I attended a workshop there as part of the gifted and talented program at my school, the labs are awesome!!!! The sports facilities at uel are second to none as well. I would look at other rankings as well though, the gaurdian rankings differ considerably from other rankings but its good to see london met climbing up!
Reply 4
You have to ask yourself what you hope to achieve, and if what you are reading will actually help in that.
Reply 5
Basically i wouldnt touch either one with a pole... Just me though.
Original post by Laob
Basically i wouldnt touch either one with a pole... Just me though.

Yeah think I've seen you write that somewhere else also. But coming from a Russell group university which is now having the department I was in investigated, I don't think everybody has the same choices.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Yeah think I've seen you write that somewhere else also. But coming from a Russell group university which is now having the department I was in investigated, I don't think everybody has the same choices.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But are you aware u are actually considering two of the universities with arguably the worst reputations? just my 2 cents.
Original post by Laob
But are you aware u are actually considering two of the universities with arguably the worst reputations? just my 2 cents.

Actually South bank has the worst reputation coming from my old pharmacy teacher. I do agree they aren't Russell group unis however I know many people who have studied and London met, medical sciences and are doing very well now. It's uel I don't know about...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Laob

According to my lecturers at the university of Edinburgh, the guardian is the most reliable source for rankings, and if you check they are not at the bottom of the table, meaning not the worst reputation. I appreciate your input but was looking for constructive feedback with statements being backed up rather than just insulting the universities, just by "reputation". Without sounding rude lol. I wanted to be able to make an informed decision.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
According to my lecturers at the university of Edinburgh, the guardian is the most reliable source for rankings, and if you check they are not at the bottom of the table, meaning not the worst reputation. I appreciate your input but was looking for constructive feedback with statements being backed up rather than just insulting the universities, just by "reputation". Without sounding rude lol. I wanted to be able to make an informed decision.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Apologies if I gave the impression of insulting the 2 unis... but don't you think that almost everyone or at least the majority unknowingly judges universities by their reputations? I just believe that the modern unis or ex-polys can't be compared with the old and RG unis....
Reply 11
Original post by Laob
Apologies if I gave the impression of insulting the 2 unis... but don't you think that almost everyone or at least the majority unknowingly judges universities by their reputations? I just believe that the modern unis or ex-polys can't be compared with the old and RG unis....

They can't be compared because they offer a very different educational experience. If you get good grades at 18 and want a traditional academic experience at a prestigous university then that's great!!! However some people like myself and the OP aren't going into university as high flying 18 years olds. Doesn't mean we are any less intelligent or capable of achieving a good degree, it just means we have to come at it a different way. Newer universities like london met, uel etc etc can offer this experience. Also, a 1st from london met can get you onto a masters at oxford. A 2:2 from imperial is unlikely to get you onto a masters at oxford. Its not ALL about reputation, although approximately 20% of graduate employers take university ranking into consideration.
Don't use rankings, they're meaningless.

London Met is considered the worst university in the country.

I went to UEL for a year. It is a campus style university, so everything you need is on campus if you go to the docklands campus. They have an SU bar, a club, a big library, music studio's, a big canteen, and two smaller cafe' type places. The halls are quite cheap, and the square halls are quite big. The circle ones are pretty tiny, hence the price though.

It isn't that bad as people make out. My only issue was the organisation of enrolment was a bit shoddy, but apart from that I enjoyed my experience there.

Depending on your overall career goal, go to UEL. If you want to go into a career where university is important, then take a year out and re-apply, to get into a better university.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by alapa
They can't be compared because they offer a very different educational experience. If you get good grades at 18 and want a traditional academic experience at a prestigous university then that's great!!! However some people like myself and the OP aren't going into university as high flying 18 years olds. Doesn't mean we are any less intelligent or capable of achieving a good degree, it just means we have to come at it a different way. Newer universities like london met, uel etc etc can offer this experience. Also, a 1st from london met can get you onto a masters at oxford. A 2:2 from imperial is unlikely to get you onto a masters at oxford. Its not ALL about reputation, although approximately 20% of graduate employers take university ranking into consideration.

Make sense. i do agree to a large extent now.
Original post by alapa

Couldn't have put it better!! Thanks. Haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alapa
No problem, I applied to uel and london met myself and they get alot of stick because they are new unis and cater for students from a non traditional background but not everyone can go to college and get amazing grades, sometimes reallife gets in the way!

Some of the science facilities at london met are world class. I attended a workshop there as part of the gifted and talented program at my school, the labs are awesome!!!! The sports facilities at uel are second to none as well. I would look at other rankings as well though, the gaurdian rankings differ considerably from other rankings but its good to see london met climbing up!

I recently did some filming at London Met and fully agree with the above post, the science facilities at London Met are truly first class, while the student:staff ratio also allowed for a seemingly high level of contact time. All in all, London Met gets an unfairly poor rep considering some of the facilities and the strengths of The Cass.
I wouldn't go to London Met for two simple reasons - its in debt as a result of loosing its hold on overseas students (ie. it could easily close) and it has zero academic credibility. You can give it all the pretty classroom furniture you like but in the job market its degrees are worth the sum total of zero. It is therefore realistically a waste of your money. You will spend the rest of your life explaining why you transferred from one of the best Universities in the world to one that is little better than an 3rd rate HE college. I wouldn't consider UEL much better but at least it isn't London Met.

Look at Portsmouth (50 mins by train from Waterloo) : http://www.port.ac.uk/courses/health-sciences-and-social-work/bsc-hons-dental-hygiene-and-dental-therapy/
Or Queen Marys (Uni of London) for a 2 year Dip HE course : http://www.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/coursefinder/courses/79921.html

Remember, your abortive year at E'burgh may count towards admissions requirements - email each Uni and ask.
Depends what you are studying. Can't speak for some subjects but Art, Design & Architecture at The Cass all have a brilliant reputation and have done for a really, really long time. Its affiliation with London Metropolitan is quite recent so have a look at each part of it as a separate unit and see what you find. Lots of people on this thread only read the papers or listen to rumours and don't look at the staff and the facilities hard enough. There are big flashy Universities in London that are nothing like as good as they seem on the surface. Don't trust the hype go and see for yourself. Have some faith in your own opinion. As for employability after graduating its as much about what's on your CV alongside your degree that counts.
30.6.14 is just a few months....
Reply 19
Original post by alapa
Also, a 1st from london met can get you onto a masters at oxford. A 2:2 from imperial is unlikely to get you onto a masters at oxford. Its not ALL about reputation, although approximately 20% of graduate employers take university ranking into consideration.

Just about to my finish my BSc at London Met. It has been a challenging, rewarding and friendly place to study. The lecturers in particular are, mostly, great.

I am on track to get a 1st and will be beginning my Masters course at Imperial in October with the hope of doing a PhD at Cambridge in a year's time.

Most of the nonsense spouted about London Met is total rubbish. I have noticed that it is generally lazy people who like to moan.

If you are a hard worker, London Met is a fantastic place to go.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending